Light weight Alder/Upcharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light weight Alder/Upcharge

I have seen this discussed here on occassion, so I requested it for my CS Charvel. I just got a quote and found out it is a $925.00 upcharge. I guess the Light weight Alder they use for the import Jacksons is only sold in Japan?

:ROTF:

Two words: swamp ash.

Comment

Wow, that's extreme. I think I'd go for regular Alder at that point.

Comment

Holy shit!!!!! Where's the wood coming from? Noah's Ark.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Light weight alder is what was ordered on the Sub Camos, but that's not what Charvel used. Now they can't seem to find any light weight alder. My advice.....don't pay the upcharge.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
            Holy shit!!!!! Where's the wood coming from? Noah's Ark.
            No. It is coming from the True Cross.:ROTF:
            Scott
            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              :ROTF:

Two words: swamp ash.

That's exactly what popped into my head, too. The $950 upcharge for solid figured maple is crazy (it's probably gone up since the last price list, too), but for lightweight alder? WTF?

Comment

So let me get this straight, they want close to $1000 for something that they do not even provide. WTF is right.
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

WTF sums this up. $200 wouldn't be worth it for me. I can jam for over an hour on my DK2T and my back not get tired or start bothering me.

Comment

I'll bet you I have an alder body (light or heavy) kicking around somewhere.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
                    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Send me your standard alder guitar and I'll make it light weight. For free!

|My CSG gallery|
                      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

What kind of tone will I get from the Swamp Ash compared to alder or Mahogany?

Comment

This might be of some help, from the Anderson Guitars website:
                          Swamp AshThe other, so called vintage wood, also began its usage—in single coil, 25 1/2" scale length guitars—during the early 50's. It has a rather scooped out midrange tone with a robust low, low end and beautifully musical sparkling highs. The type of ash we use is Swamp Ash. It is lighter in weight and more porous, producing a timbre that is usually richer and less harsh than regular heavy ash. Its color is light blonde, highlighted by a darker brown elongated grain pattern. This wood looks extremely good with many transparent colors
                          AlderDating back to the late 1950's, this is the wood found in more 3 single coil, double cut-away, 25 1/2" scale length guitars than any other. Due to its wide-spread popularity it produces a very familiar tone—a "vintage tone." Its sound is primarily a thicker, midrange tone. It is very full in the low midrange yet produces enough upper midrange to be clear and articulate
                          MahoganyMahogany is a wood that became popular primarily being used on 24 3/4" scale length guitars since the 1950s. Its tone is thick and concentrated with a forceful midrange. Medium brown in color with a red or orange hue, this mid to mid-heavy weight wood has a mild grain pattern that looks great with many transparent finishes.

http://www.andersonguitars.com/toneLibInfo.html

Comment

I'd say that $950 upcharge quote is their way of saying..."order some other kind of wood".

Comment

Originally posted by surfdork View Post
                              I'd say that $950 upcharge quote is their way of saying..."order some other kind of wood".
                              +1

Comment

Working...
                              X