Unfinished neck warping/twisting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfinished neck warping/twisting

I'm wondering how many out there have had the unfortunate occurance of an unfinished Charvel neck warping/twisting? (post Fender buyout)

Guess i've been lucky, I have several and no problems...that sucks dude.

Comment

Me too, sorry to hear about that man.

Comment

It will happen to all unfinshed oiled necks at one time or another. If you stay on top of truss rod and trem adj. etc., you can combat this in most guitars. It has to do with the humdity changes in the northeast - hell on guitars in general. Convesional Wisdom says that a humidifier in the winter especially will solve a lot of your problems. I personally have found that giving a new neck oil extra treatment for a few years allows a newer neck to settle down after about 2 years in the northeast - sometimes its takes a year or two longer. Older necks even sometimes need a year or two to acclimate.
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by daisp View Post
          Guess i've been lucky, I have several and no problems...that sucks dude.
          Originally posted by boiwonder View Post
          Me too, sorry to hear about that man.

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean to imply that my neck has problems already. I was just trying to get an idea of how likely it may be in the future. The neck is a thing of beauty right now.

Comment

Whew! you had me worried

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
              I personally have found that giving a new neck oil extra treatment for a few years allows a newer neck to settle down

I think there's a typo in that statement.....I'm not sure I follow you. Could you elaborate a little. Thanks.

Comment

Never had a problem with any of my unfinished necks (one's 25 years old!)...but then again, I live in a mild climate...
                Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by LastInLine View Post
                  I think there's a typo in that statement.....I'm not sure I follow you. Could you elaborate a little. Thanks.

Well new Charvels are supposed to come "oiled" from the factory. Some other manufacturers do the same thing. I will take a rag and apply some additional boiled linseed oil every now and again (do not over do it as it will add color and too much build up). Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and the buff and let dry overnight. The linseed oil seems to build up a very light finish that does not subtract from the feel, but does give the wood some humidity protection.

Your mileage may vary. I am coming from the perspective of someone living in the northeast (grew up in NJ playing guitar in the 80s and have lived in Boston for 10 years). I know that different parts of the country with different weather patterns do not have these problems. Also I am basing this on personal experience with my charvels. My newest is from mid-2006. My oldest is from 1982.

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
                    Well new Charvels are supposed to come "oiled" from the factory. Some other manufacturers do the same thing. I will take a rag and apply some additional boiled linseed oil every now and again (do not over do it as it will add color and too much build up). Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and the buff and let dry overnight. The linseed oil seems to build up a very light finish that does not subtract from the feel, but does give the wood some humidity protection.

I assume then that putting linseed oil over the oil that is applied at the factory (gunstock oil, I believe) has no adverse effect on the neck?
                    Wouldn't it be better to apply the original oil to the neck periodically? I don't know exactly what that oil is, but I see someone started a new thread regarding that topic. No responses as of yet.

Comment

Only one in the many I have owned - It was a heavily birds eye neck and it would change from week to week - but was never unplayable.. Very nice old tele

Comment

Originally posted by LastInLine View Post
                        I assume then that putting linseed oil over the oil that is applied at the factory (gunstock oil, I believe) has no adverse effect on the neck?
                        Wouldn't it be better to apply the original oil to the neck periodically? I don't know exactly what that oil is, but I see someone started a new thread regarding that topic. No responses as of yet.
                        I understand what you are saying, but the new ones that I have played and owned do not have much of an oil application from my experience. Accordingly, I really do not think that it matters. I expect that if you stay on top of bridge and truss adjustments, as well as maintaining a decent level of humidity where you store the guitars, it probably does not matter any way. However, I prefer the feel of a little extra oil finish on the neck, the fact that it seems to help with climate induced warping is a bonus.

Comment

Working...
                        X