Mahogany Charvel/ Fingerboard wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahogany Charvel/ Fingerboard wood?

I have spec'd out a CS Charvel with a Mahogany body but I can't decide on a fingerboard wood. I have a MZ Mah Natural with a maple board and it sounds good with alot of pop I belive comes form the Mah body. Which wood would add some smoothness to the top end. Rosewood or Ebony?

rosewood...ebony tends to be very sharp as it is a very hard wood...rosewood tends to soften the treble very slightly...if you listen that close...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Ebony. No contest. Especially on a Mahogany body, which can be dark-sounding anyway.

Comment

Go with what you prefer for feel or appearance. IMHO, the "tone" difference is a much smaller part of the preference equation than those other factors.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
          Go with what you prefer for feel or appearance. IMHO, the "tone" difference is a much smaller part of the preference equation than those other factors.

Be careful.....you might get your head bit off for making a statement like that!!

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
            rosewood...ebony tends to be very sharp as it is a very hard wood...rosewood tends to soften the treble very slightly...if you listen that close...d.m.
            +1
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ide say ebony.
              rosewood is brighter toned
              ebony is darker toned

from the MAH. body, i would assume you want heavier tones. but if not ... rosewood

Comment

Originally posted by TinTin8 View Post
                ide say ebony.
                rosewood is brighter toned
                ebony is darker toned
                You've got it the opposite way. Ebony is brighter than rosewood.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

your really need to decide what tone your after -- What tone are you after bright, smooth, hard, etc... Woods make the guitar

I would go with Rosewood myself

Comment

I'll add another vote for rosewood; pau ferro is another option worth exploring.
                    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Add another vote for rosewood or pau ferro as well.

Comment

Here we go.....It's not that cut and dry. It depends on a lot of things. I guess the above is good for a rule of thumbnail and all. In addition, there are many factors affecting: fret height, fret profile, fret material, neck thinkness, truss style, in addition to neck wood. The throw this in there, some batches of the same wood are just different, wetter, dryer, thicker, less dense, more dense. Look at ebony sometimes you get a grain so tight you could skate on it and sometimes it's rough and loose...dense as foam.
                        I've always been able to get an idea of a sound simply by taping the wood with my knuckle. Tall frets bite hard, rounder frets back it off, Jumbo's seem to loose some definition. Thick neck adds some depth and sustain. Persoanlly, the wood, I've always found to be the most well rouded for a board isn't a wood at all. It's graphite...Hello Ned!

Your best bet is to try a bunch of necks with different configuration, with the amp you intend to use and hammerit out form there..if you can?

Comment

Ebony, IMO, would look the best with Mahogany.
                          My Main Rig:
                          '87 Charvel Model 4A
                          Peavey KB100 amp
                          Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
                          '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                          '05 Ibanez RG320FM
                          '86 Ovation Pinnacle
                          '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
                          '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

Some luthiers say, Brazilian rosewood is the ultimate wood for fretboards. My custom shop Charvel has a Brazilian rosewood fretboard, and it's fantastic in sound and feel. The mid 1990s reissues with mahagony body also had pao ferro fretboards, it's also a great wood for fretboards.

Comment

+++ 10000 on the pao ferro .. it gives a nice warm tone combined with the mahog
                              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Working...
                              X