Gunstock Oil/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
    The J/C Custom Shop uses Birchwood Casey Gunstock oil.
    I got this from Mike Kotzen and Mike Shannon directly. They wipe it on, then right off several times without any "dwell time".
    When you say without any dwell time, do you mean the time between wiping it on and then off, or the time between the actual applications themselves? Or both?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack71 View Post
      When you say without any dwell time, do you mean the time between wiping it on and then off, or the time between the actual applications themselves? Or both?
      Sorry for the confusion. Mike and Mike told me that they do several necks at a time. The oil is wiped on with a rag, then with the neck completely "wet", it's buffed with another clean rag right away. After going through several necks or maybe a dozen or so, (figure 20-30 mins.) as a guess, a second application goes on with the same procedure. The second coat assures nothing was missed on the first application. That's it. They are hung back up to cure or (not be handled) for at least 48 hours.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Gunstock Oil

> It's funny someone mentioned olive oil and Jackson necks together. I read an interview with Michael Sweet where he said that like once a month or so,he used slightly heated olive oil on his ebony boards,and for him it worked great. Whoever mentioned that olive oil turns rancid and stinks is also right,my ex-wife likes it on salads and spilled some on a rug once. The next morning,the whole kitchen smelled like Popeye's fingers. Tommy D.
        "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

i perfer boiled linseed oil for rosewood and ebony fretboards. you can get a lot of it cheep at the hardware store.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

How well does Tung Oil or Gunstock Oil hold up as a body finish? Can you still use regular guitar spray cleaners on it? Do you need to re-apply it to the body after a period of time?

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz View Post
              How well does Tung Oil or Gunstock Oil hold up as a body finish? Can you still use regular guitar spray cleaners on it? Do you need to re-apply it to the body after a period of time?
              You'll need to reapply it. I'd avoid Tung Oil - stuff takes for-freakin-EVER to dry. Boiled Linseed oil dries faster IMHO than tung and gunstock oil - it has drying agents added to it. Be careful, boiled linseed rags can combust. I have had some bodies that were oiled - I just used a barely damp cloth and wiped them down. Since they don't really build up much of a real gloss, that seems to be sufficient IMHO.

Pete

Comment

Working...
              X