pointies and my grouchy mood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pointies and my grouchy mood

The only design element Charvel really changed on the existing Strat template was the introduction of the pointy headstock and neck scarf joint.

The result? problems with tuning stability due to string path not being straight, less resonance if compared to a 1-piece neck, higher risk for a broken headstock, and a design which simply does not flow with the body curves.

I'd say, no more pointies. Let them gather dust at GC or being re-re-relisted on ebay.

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
    The only design element Charvel really changed on the existing Strat template was the introduction of the pointy headstock and neck scarf joint.

The result? problems with tuning stability due to string path not being straight, less resonance if compared to a 1-piece neck, higher risk for a broken headstock, and a design which simply does not flow with the body curves.

I'd say, no more pointies. Let them gather dust at GC or being re-re-relisted on ebay.

The string path is taken out of the equation once the locking nut is tightened down. For those guitars that may not have one, a little lube in the nut slots works wonders.
    I would think the resonance thing is pretty much a non-issue.
    A glued wood joint is actually stronger than the wood itself.
    IMO, the pointy headstock looks fantastic.

Comment

Different strokes for different folks. I love them both. It's all preferences, and one could make arguments in favor of pointies, too.

Comment

I like both.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It sure is easier to make truss rod adjustments on a pointy neck.

Pointies are a lot less prone to twisting and raised tongues than one piece necks.
          www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Pointies are cooler!
            My Main Rig:
            '87 Charvel Model 4A
            Peavey KB100 amp
            Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
            '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
            '05 Ibanez RG320FM
            '86 Ovation Pinnacle
            '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
            '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post

So what you're saying is you don't like pointies? Then don't buy them
              But do you still like Charvels who isn't pointy or do you prefer Fender strats?
              "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Youre right. Pointies suck. Not sure why it never occured to me.

Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

Those are so shiny!! How do you keep them so shiny? Please, educate me

Comment

Omfg!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
                      Those are so shiny!! How do you keep them so shiny? Please, educate me

He's a drummer!!!! :ROTF:

Sorry had too!
                      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Comment

I like em both too, although imo they should be about 10% larger..and
                          always...painted to match!

Comment

I like both.

Comment

With the pointies it is much easier to adjust the truss rod (no neck removal needed) and I personally like the feel of the flatter neck profile vs. Strat heads.

Comment

Working...
                              X