doh! broke a Schaller saddle on my 750xl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doh! broke a Schaller saddle on my 750xl

put in some new Emg's and was tightening the b string back into the saddle and "Crack" I went too tight.

So my question is do these have unique saddles( different height for an archtop 750xl?) am I looking at just replacing the saddle itself (hopefully) versus trying to track down and get a whole new Schaller trem.

thanks in advance for your knowledge and input, this is my 1st Schaller I have owned, also 1st time ever having a saddle break.

Last edited by Mikernaut2; 02-06-2007, 08:24 PM.

you can order single saddles for Schallers. You just need to make sure you order the correct saddle as they come in different sizes/heights. Check the bottom of the saddle for the number stamped there. It should be a "1" for the B string, but just check to make sure.

ps. this thread might sit better in the Tech section. Or Import Charvels
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I'm playing my 750XL right now, and I noticed don't have those issues because my bridge is fixed

I say tech section since it's really about the bridge and not the guitar. I'd try to get a saddle to keep it original.

I'm a little curious as to how a 750XL would be with a floating bridge, but mine kicks so much butt I really don't need another

Comment

Blasphemy!! Don't you always need another?

Comment

If you order, just specify the string you are replacing and you should be alright. I had this happen on a new OFR and ordered a OEM replacement from StuMac and I was back in business within 5 days. Not sure if the OFR and Schaller stuff interchanges, but they shipped quick so I recomend them if it is.

I am convineced that this is the result of all manufacturers using cheaper metal in making there parts. You have to very careful and essentially act as your own torch bar and only tighten until it will not move further when you apply moderately hard pressure at the end of the wrench - do not force it.

I have several old original floyds from the early to mid 80s. I have never taken any care in how hard I screwed in the string, ever and I have never broken an old one.

The other possible answer is poor QC, but since yours is schaller and mine is OFR, I would expect cheaper metal all around is the reason.
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Better take that whole unit apart and see if you need other parts too.

Low E saddle is not original and you might want to change it. String lock inserts can get cracked from over tightening and get stuck inside the saddle. Stripped threads on the baseplate are common too. Schaller and OFR saddles are exactly the same stuff as both of them are made by Schaller.

Comment

Working...
            X