X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 07 pricing - How they lost me

...turns out the recently issued price sheet is wrong

The Background:

I have bought 5 Stratheads since the reissue.

I specced out a simple 1 humbucker Charvel to get a price with the option I couldn't get changed on my current (yet to be built) order. Since they wouldn't change the work order post order/prior to build, I figured I'd just order another one.

(In addition, the guitar currently on order is a rebuild of one they didn't follow my work order on and I rejected as incorrect but that's worthy of another thread)

So I specced a simpler guitar than the one currently on order, same finish but really no frills, addressing a personal playing preference issue I have noticed on my other new Charvels (a neck option that in 06 added $60).

I was so shocked at how the price increase translates I asked what the new price on my current order would be if I ordered it today (basically one year later)

The Result:

The basic spec: Strathead, Rosewood board, PC-1 profile; Eldred Flame, Floyd, 1 hum 1 single:

2006 retailed at $3,850

If I were to order it today:

2007 retail at $5,600

I follow the market; understand and expect price increases, I also realize the new USA made guitar market has gone nuts pricewise in the last few years and I'm not squeamish about prices, my 2 main players (which I gig with) were each over $3 grand (street).

But a Charvel that retailed for $3,850 increasing to $5,600 in one year is just plain insane.

I am SOLIDLY in their target market.
    I came running back into the Charvel fold with the reintroduction of the Strat headstock (I was never a pointy guy).
    I'm a believer who is completely sold on the new ones, was thrilled they were as good as they were and didn't hesitate at the headstock upcharge.
    I have spoken with my dollars; bought them, influenced others to do the same and wouldn't begrudge a reasonable price increase.

but...

I won't buy any more
    I can't in good conscience recommend them to anyone as a value.

To say I'm disappointed is putting it mildly, I waited years for these guitars to come back, would love to get several more to use as gigging guitars, was set to order another one even willing to wait another year to receive it.
    I can afford it, but no way will I commit at the new prices.

Wow, that is a compelling post.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
      Wow, that is a compelling post.
      Sure is! The new pricing seems crazy to me also. It will be interesting to see who(if anyone) will be buying at these prices in '07.

Comment

I too have a "dream" strathead floating around in my head that I've been thinking about for months. Before the price change it might have cost around $2200, but now I don't even want to think about it.

I mean, $300 extra for a headstock shape that you ALREADY OWN THE RIGHTS TO??? No thanks.
        Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
        www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

I would say, that you need to look at current stock around the country.
          That way, you could maybe take advantage of the "last of the decently
          priced Charvel's"? Maybe you would find one, that was very close to
          what you would have ordered anyway? So if im reading this right?
          $5600 would actually just be MSRP? And you would pay more like
          $3600.00 street? Even at that, insane imo. Good post, you should
          email it directly to Charvel, and then to FMIC headquarters!

Comment

Brent, you are one of many, from what we hear on this board.

FMIC buys JCMI and within 4 years completely alienates that customer base with blatant price gouging. how long until the JCMI incoming orders and subsequent cash flow is half of what it was last year? too many angry potential and former customers are popping up for this boneheaded pricing move not to hurt their sales.

what a great business success story!
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

When the new price reality finally sinks in, I think it's going to stop a lot of buyers in their tracks. I wanted to order a couple c/s Charvels this year but there is no way in hell I'm going to pay that much and then wait 18 months to get it. I'm sorry to say, they just aren't that special.
              "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
              I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

WOW, that's a 45% increase in price.

Comment

That really sounds like a mistake. I just took your specs and priced it out from the 2007 price list. Maybe you've got more going on with the spec details than posted here, but the most I can come up with is $4,400-ish list.

Sounds like there's some kind of miscommunication or mistake being made. Like, for instance, maybe they misunderstood the "PC1 profile" spec. Instead of just the backshape, maybe they misunderstood that to mean you wanted Charvel neck, but like a PC-1: 2 piece strathead, 22 frets, but with truss adjustment at the head (instead of heel). I could see them quoting over the top for that because the Charvel necks just aren't made like that.

I'd ask for the details of the quote, and try to figure it out from there.

Comment

+1

Not trying to be an apologist for JCMI, since I'm bummed about the price increases as well, but there must be either a miscommunication or some specific feature(s) in the order that are kicking it way up. I get a pretty consistent 20% or so increase over last year when I check on the ones I want to get done.

Comment

No mistake, The quote is from Charvel based on the exact work order currently in progress for me, $3850 last year $5600 this

I figured the same thing and came out better than a grand different using the price list, but it's no mistake, the 2007 price list is incorrect and will be redone in the next few weeks.

The neck is a standard 1-11/16 neck Strat headstock, with a PC-1 backshape, nothing special

one example, the Vintage Flame is really $1300 list not the $675 shown on the list dated Feb 1 07

Comment

So this thread will last how long.....
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
                          So this thread will last how long.....
                          I don't see why it won't last, the prices I am talking about are retail, right off quote sheets from Charvel, confirmed and reconfirmed because I didn't believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                            +1

Not trying to be an apologist for JCMI, since I'm bummed about the price increases as well, but there must be either a miscommunication or some specific feature(s) in the order that are kicking it way up. I get a pretty consistent 20% or so increase over last year when I check on the ones I want to get done.
                            Have your dealer submit it if you don't believe me.

There is nothing wierd or extravagant in my spec-

I already have one guitar like it:

This one is the incorrect finish and originally came in with an incorrect neck, the one I'm waiting on (and now $5600 list) is like this with the newer assymetrical flame pattern.

Comment

They have in great part lost me. I have already, this year alone, placed three orders for custom guitars and NONE of them are Charvels or Jackson.

Last year alone I bought around 7-8 Charvels. I am small potatoes to them, but a lot of small potatoes make a pile.
                              Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Working...
                              X