07 pricing - How they lost me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brent View Post
    the 2007 price list is incorrect and will be redone in the next few weeks.
    With all due respect, this really sounds like more of the same kind of miscommunication and/or BS rumors that have been persistent over the past year or two. I will be surprised if it turns out to be true.

BTW, love your flame job there! Awesome, just awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
      With all due respect, this really sounds like more of the same kind of miscommunication and/or BS rumors that have been persistent over the past year or two. I will be surprised if it turns out to be true.

BTW, love your flame job there! Awesome, just awesome.
      Thanks, it's a really nice guitar and with the new price structure, I am going to get the other one as well.

Call a dealer and have them price a guitar for you, not from the list, formally from Charvel.

I wouldn't have posted if it wasn't such a shock. I did the first quote for a bare bones single hum in black and was so surprised I had to get a comparison quote, confirmation and an explanation. It was a possibility I'd buy based on how I priced it from the list but no way when it came down to the real pricing.

The explanation to me was they are going to be doing Team Built and Masterbuilt Customs. Some options fall under the masterbuilt umbrella and carry larger additional costs. So part of the extra increase is that this guitar falls under that umbrella due to the PC-1 backshape, which becomes a $560 upcharge, the neck with Rosewood, the Strathead and the PC-1 neckshape (basically a PC-1 neck with dots) becomes a $960 retail upcharge.

Comment

Rather than say that, why not just verify it yourself. He explicitly said he got a quote from a dealer for this. Why does it have to be BS?
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

What dealer is this going through? If you say Ed Roman......

Seriously, somewhere buried deep within the bowels of these boards you'll see a prediction that Fender will come out with a line of rear-routed single-hum and double-hum Floyded/v-tremmed Stratheads that look amazingly like Charvels, but with Fender on the headstock.

While the return of the Charvel Strathead was indeed a surprise, I still firmly believe that Fender will eventually kill that line completely and put their logo on it.

And JCMI does not own the rights to the Strathead, FMIC does. While one owns the other, you do not see the Corvette bear a Cadillac, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, or GMC logo even though they are all under the GM flag.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            What dealer is this going through? If you say Ed Roman......
            I specifically left dealers and any discounted pricing out of this to avoid violating the rules.
            The dealers I talked to are dealers I trust but they are inconsequential, prices were off Charvel quote sheets, retail prices completely independent of dealer.

Comment

So am I to assume that the price list released just before NAMM 07 is a mistake and we are going to be fucked even deeper and harderfor a Charvel? I recently submitted a CS quote request that according to the 07 price guide was still acceptable. Am I in for a shock?

Comment

FWIW based on the posted 07 price list my guitars would be approx $4,552 retail now

so for those keeping score: last yr $3,850; this yrs price list $4,552; this yr actual $5,600

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
                  So am I to assume that the price list released just before NAMM 07 is a mistake and we are going to be fucked even deeper and harderfor a Charvel? I recently submitted a CS quote request that according to the 07 price guide was still acceptable. Am I in for a shock?

it would appear so, depending on how 'outside' your spec is as to just how much of a shock, whether it remains a Team build or gets kicked into Master Builder class

Comment

It is simply a standard series spec with a Strathead 1hum/1sc, 1piece male neck. According to the price sheet list was $4000.00. Even at list still BS in reality IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
                      It is simply a standard series spec with a Strathead 1hum/1sc, 1piece male neck. According to the price sheet list was $4000.00. Even at list still BS in reality IMHO.
                      You should be OK, I believe the $3000 base $150 case and $300 strathead are correct on the posted list, as long as the finish ain't crazy and your pickup choice is standard you shouldn't be surprised

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                        Rather than say that, why not just verify it yourself. He explicitly said he got a quote from a dealer for this. Why does it have to be BS?
                        Well, for starters, it would be a major cheesmo move to waste both the custom shop's and a dealer's time having them quote out a guitar that I have absolutely no intention to order. I'm not into jerking people around for the sake of confirming/denying internet rumors.

Second, I ordered a custom Charvel just a few weeks ago, and none of this came up through that process whatsoever. None. Not a word.

Also, I find it hard to believe that they put out a new price list just 3 weeks ago, and are already saying it's incorrect and will need to be updated. I mean, price list mistakes get made - we've seen that before - but the scope and order of magnitude being talked about here are no "mistake". Those sound like wholesale changes to the pricing structure.

Could it be true? Sure. Do I think it's true? No, not on the scale of things being discussed. IMHO, it sure smells like BS rumors again, which often seem to get started by miscommunications and extrapolated assumptions based on some small, tiny kernal of truth. So I stated my opinion of that. And, unless and until we see a new price list issued by Charvel, my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

Comment

I take Brent at his word that this is the quote he got. Sounds like the price discrepancy boils down to them Jacking the cost of the Eldred Flames graphic and the special order for the PC-1 backshape. $625 more for the paint & $560 more for the neck. The new price list definitely has some crazy upcharges for any neck that's out of the ordinary, like left-handed or with a reverse strathead, so I can see them doing this about the different backshape. I think it's BS, but just saying it's consistent with the other upcharges. The paint thing is the real shocker. It's a popular graphic, so I'm sure we'll hear about it again if someone else gets quoted $1300 for it.
                          Last edited by dg; 02-09-2007, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Second, I ordered a custom Charvel just a few weeks ago, and none of this came up through that process whatsoever. None. Not a word.

A few weeks ago should have been last years pricing.

It shouldn't have come up, the new pricing has only been effective since Feb 1, I've been kicking myself I didn't get mine in earlier.

As I posted the new pricing structure, as explained to me, kicks some guitars into a completely different bracket. It may not affect some orders at all, it just happened to REALLY affect 2 variations of 1 I priced, a dealer then investigated it for me based on a guitar I had in the works, in order to figure out why the prices were so much higher then either of us expected.
                            Last edited by brent; 02-09-2007, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Uh...you guys dont remember what i posted my buying price was, right?? :-)) Gee...i sometimes just halucinate over money! That
                              would be stupid to just tell everyone what you paid! So if anyone wants
                              my mint (heck i ordered a new PUP chrome frame that may be $200 now!)
                              and even put new strings on it! I'll let it go for $1000.00 under MSRP!
                              Like Ed Roman says..."You cant beat that!" LOL Nice to know that
                              my HRF will at least hold its value, thats for sure. At this rate, MSRP will
                              be $9600.00 in 6 months!

Comment

Is the neck pocket of a PC-1 different than a San Dimas Standard? If not, then it's pretty funny that it requires a Master Builder to walk across the room and snag a neck blank out of the PC-1 pile
                                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                                X