Charvel price increase and it's affect on vintage Charvels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel price increase and it's affect on vintage Charvels

Ok, I know what my opinion is on this but I want to hear what you guys have to say.

How much do you think the J/C price increases will affect the value of our vintage original Charvel strats? Especially strat heads....

I mean I know they are worth alot right now as it is but do you guys see vintage strat heads going up in value to the near $10,000 range or does that sound crazy? I think that the harder the newer ones are to get or the more expensive they are that the values of the original vintage ones will definately increase significantly.... Just my opinon.

A new relic shall never be worth more than a true vintage relic.
    Having said that, the Charvel pricing world is upside down as the brain placement of certain marketing people.

IMHO, the effect of the new ones on the true vintage pieces would be negligible if not nill. The fact that more guitars will be in the market and spending happy, balding and reminiscent guitar players buying them up will keep things grounded on a small, comparmentalized and almost forgotten shredding brand.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I agree, but can see the strat heads in the near future, maybe 5-10years, bringing about 10 grand apiece. Just my opinion though.

Comment

Originally posted by 69buickman View Post
        I agree, but can see the strat heads in the near future, maybe 5-10years, bringing about 10 grand apiece. Just my opinion though.

No way. Charvels seem to have a sort of "cult" following. I don't think they will ever have that mainstream Fender/Gibson popularity and as a result, will never bring in those type of prices.

Comment

I agree I use to work with a guy who had some dough and collected vintage guitars he dropped 20 k many times for rare gibson fender and other things. I always loved charvels he wouldnt deal in them he said the demand was to low and he couldnt make as much selling them. He use to break my balls and call them spandex rayyles or something stupid like that.................. Boy would I love to have one.
          85 Jackson 87 model1 87 model6

Comment

Well,I know it will be worth more than the (MIM) Strat I unloaded to get it.
            Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

The reality is, a 100% original, unmolested, clean Charvel strathead nowadays does not sell for less than $ 4,000, with premium examples (VERY clean, EVH graphics or other special colors/graphics) bringing that price to $ 10,000 and up.

You may think it is too high, but I put my money where my mouth is: if (and that is a big if nowadays) I can find or am offered a clean, 100% original Charvel strathead 2H with vintage tremolo, I'd offer $ 5,000 on the spot and walk home with a bargain.

The funny thing is, the recent Grover Jackson reissues are all priced HIGHER than this already high amount, and that simply makes no sense.

Comment

Reality check: Thousands of people are into vintage Gibson and Fender guitars. You only have a handful of Charvel collectors who run the market up against each other on the internet. When these people get older and lose interest, the market will dry up and they won't be worth squat. If you want to invest in guitars, vintage Charvels are a gamble in the short term, a total loser in the long term.

Comment

"Reality check: Thousands of people are into vintage Gibson and Fender guitars. You only have a handful of Charvel collectors who run the market up against each other on the internet. When these people get older and lose interest, the market will dry up and they won't be worth squat. If you want to invest in guitars, vintage Charvels are a gamble in the short term, a total loser in the long term."

VERY WRONG.
                  I dont think any antique ever dies off completely because the original collectors died off.People have been collecting old art for thousands of years.An item may be out of vogue for a while but regains popularity.Muscle cars were dead in the 70s,came back in the 80s,died in the 90s and are now at the top again.All the original 60s players are dying off but muscle cars are in greater demand today than ever.Just as are old records,posters etc...People who pay big bucks for all that stuff today werent alive in the 60s or early 70s.
                  People have been collecting antiques throughout civilization.People have been collecting greek,roman,egyptian collectibles for thousands of years.

Charvels and jacksons are a sleeping giant.This is the time you want to collect them not when the whole crowd finds out about em.You do not want to join a mania,you want to precede it...You have to go against the crowd when collecting:be a contrarian.The fender gibson mania has been peaking for how many years?It will probably crash at some point and that would be ugly given the prices people have paid today.
                  An example of a mania that is bursting or close to it is the muscle car mania.
                  In january 2007 world record prices were being set at barrete-jackson for 1967 vettes(250k) and 150k for ugly amphicars...This weekend those same vettes were getting 150-175 and 50k for the amphicars.Craig JAckson was putting on a brave face but looked disappointed as many sales were soft.

If you want a mania that is currently dead and slipping into a disastrous nosedive look at real estate.Every genious and their dead great grandmother was talking about how they wanted to invest in RE and flip property and how RE was the best type of investment one could ever make etc.This is exactly how people were talking about stocks before that meltdown in 2000.
                  When every nimwit in town is in on the secret ,you know you are at the saturation point and peak of a bubble and that is when you EXIT from it.
                  And the exact opposite is true also.

Comment

I think the fact that they killed the factory Charvel line again speaks volumes to their lack of popularity. You can't let 20 guys who love them let you think there's a real market for them. There aint.

Comment

then why do they all sell so fast???????????????
                      85 Jackson 87 model1 87 model6

Comment

If they would have issued the Standard Series with Stratheads I think they would have sold alot more. A 1 hum Strathead plain jane with a floyd at around $1600.00 street price would have kept it alive. I saw many pointies with these spec's at less then $1600.00. Unfortunatly most of the Stratheads were over $2000.00 because of the CS upcharge. Now with the price increase I doubt in the future you will see many Charvels in the hands of players. These guitars for the most part will be ordered by collectors and will seldom get the workout they deserve. How many collectors will it take to keep the brand alive and with the new policy of a few "hand picked dealers" I fear the end is not too far off. These are guitars that are supposed to be used to shred not stuck in a closet in hopes of making a profit in the future!

Comment

Charvels are not popular guitars. I doubt they will ever achieve that status. Like someone said above - they wouldn't have cancelled the standard USA line if they were. I still see lots of Custom Shop Charvels at pre-price increase levels (around $2000) and they are still there - not sold. If you're going to buy an expensive Charvel, buy it to play it. Don't count on making any money down the road.

Comment

One more thing. What popular artist(s) are playing Charvels today? None. It takes big name recognition to make a guitar brand popular. There's no shortage of legendary guitarists who have made Fender and Gibson into household names. No one's doing that with Charvel.

Comment

That's true. You got a point there.

Comment

Working...
                              X