opinion on pre-pro EVH pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinion on pre-pro EVH pics

My friend just picked this up, and we want some opinions on if it's the real deal or not, im on the fence, but i'm no pre-pre expert it's got the small logo with nothing under it 21 fret one piece maple neck the body has the les paul input jack(but,I forgot to get a pic of it, the only thing I really dont know about is on the neck is written in felt pen 85, I know thats not pre-pro years, no markings at all in the neck pocket, look at the stainless trem bar, is that right,and what about the bridge, someone put a clear control cavity cover on it and installed some rocker switches, pretty cool I think, better than adding holes to the body, these pics are'nt the best, but, we can start here.
    Better look at the pics at http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/jacksonaxes/?

Last edited by jacksonaxes; 03-24-2007, 02:56 PM.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

better look at the pics at http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/jacksonaxes/?
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Looks like a sweetheart to me. 100% a-ok. That is the first time I have seen switches added to the cavity plate and that was a very smart decision.

Excellent!
      www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Looks good to me, but I am not as much of a pre-pro expert as others on here.

Comment

Originally posted by slo100 View Post
          Looks like a sweetheart to me. 100% a-ok. That is the first time I have seen switches added to the cavity plate and that was a very smart decision.

Excellent!
          Bret do you think that trem tip is era correct?? I don't think so..VERY small detail and a minor point but the trem bar tip does not look original to me.

Cool guitar....
          www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
          My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

PERFECT -- Nice one - Cool even EVH added knobs in the control cavity.
            Both style tips are legit..dont know if one preceeded the ohter...but both are legit..and I do think that is the original.

CHEERS

Comment

Originally posted by Hossman View Post
              Both style tips are legit..dont know if one preceeded the ohter...but both are legit..and I do think that is the original.
              are you sure Hoss? I have never seen that style on early Charvels ESPECIALLY not on prepros. I know its a small point but I doubt that trem bar tip is original to that prepro.
              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel

Comment

Why do you think 85 is written on the neck heel?
                METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                  Why do you think 85 is written on the neck heel?
                  not sure...nor do I understand the extra screw holes in the neck...was this neck on a different guitar for awhile???

Comment

I dont know about those extra holes either, my freind who bought it ownes a small guitar shop here,somebody came in off the street, and sold it to him for, well he wont tell me, but he really is'nt up on the charvel thing, i've been schooling him, it sure is a beauty, i'll grt some better pics, the body does'nt have a ding on it, no crack in the neck pocket, it's unbelievable.
                    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

yeah a few things stand out for me and even though Bret (slo100) gave it 100% a-ok so it might be worth your while to ask a few more questions and get better pics.

For example why the extra screw holes on the neck, no date on butt of the neck (double check sometimes these are hard to see) and no markings what so ever in the neck pocket would want me to ask more questions and get better pics. Then of course there are the minor points like trem bar tip, missing original backplate (both very minor).

Also check the code on the volume pot. Like I said I am way too anal but thats just me. These are small details but maybe worth your while to ask for clarity.

Comment

My old pre-serialized evh had no neck markings and had similar attributes as this guitar such as the string tree, smooth body contours, and markings. Don't stress about the "85."

The two section trem bar tip is not out of the question to me unless someone can provide proof-positive evidence they didn't exist until x-date.

Can you tell anything from the weathering on the neck near the pocket? A lot of times you can tell if a neck has been changed by looking to see if there is an unworn spot on the neck that don't match the body's neck pocket area. That can be a good way to match a neck to a body and how long that particular neck has been with the body. The neck is correct, the body is correct, based on my old guitar they look to have originated from the same era. This is something difficult to judge by the pics. Tracy has a good point about the screw holes so check the weathering.

From what I can tell in the pics it looks great to me.

It certainly never hurts to ask questions.

I love it!
                        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

agree, the parts look era correct - tuners, string tree, knob, square input jack (the original strap buttons look to have been replaced with strap locks), the original plastic back plates are also gone and I am still suspect over the trem arm tip (minor detail).

Double check for a date on the neck and ask a few more questions. The neck might have been used on another body for awhile (assuming this body is original to that neck). Also regarding the body, run your finger over the paint. Originals had a thin overcoat (clear) and you can often feel the edges of the graphic. Good luck.

Comment

you cant feel any thing on the body, but you can see a little bleed from the black where it was taped in a couple of spots, very little.
                            METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                              you cant feel any thing on the body, but you can see a little bleed from the black where it was taped in a couple of spots, very little.
                              hard to judge just by the pics but is it possible the body is a repro (new) and was married to this neck and parts??? Or amybe a refin??? Once again hard for me to help just from looking at pics. Ask to get the code from volume pot that might help.

Can you post a pic of the neck pocket? Also do you have a pic of the pku cavity and bottom of the pku itself (both can also help autheticate).
                              Last edited by gtrbuyer; 03-24-2007, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X