New Charvel SD Neck Compared to SL-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Charvel SD Neck Compared to SL-1

Anyone here have one of the new Charvels as well as a Soloist? I'm really interested in buying a new Charvel (flat mount floyd is big draw for me), but on a few other boards I have read that the strat head Charvels basically feel like they have standard Fender profile necks and medium frets.

Unfortunately, I am not close to a dealer and would have to order the guitar I want. I have/have had several SL-1's, and am hoping the new Charvels have a neck similar to those (a little chunkier would be fine-I just don't want the same profile frets that are on the Deluxe/Am. Standard strats).

The EVH series has medium frets I'm not sure about the other stratheads. The pointies have jumbos. Do you realize if you order a new you will have to go through the custom shop?

Comment

The Fenders you mentioned have a 9.5" radius C-shaped neck. Jackson/Charvels are 12"-16" compound radius more D-shaped, so I don't know what "the people on a few other boards" are talking about as they aren't even close. FYI, the EVH Charvel has a narrower neck (1-5/8" nut) and a different thickness than the SD stratheads.

Per the Jackson website, the current SL1 neck measures .79" @ 3rd fret, .85" @ 12th. My 2006 RR1T has the same website specs, but measures a little thinner, .775" @ 3rd, .84" @ 12th. Naturally the paint on the neck adds little to the thickness vs. a non-painted neck.

I have 2 Charvel SD Stratheads, one measures .754" @ 3rd, the other .764", and one is .824" @ 12th, the other .842". Most people here mention that the new SD pointies are a little thinner than the Strathead. My SD pointy is .735"/.83".

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
        X