Candy red/Maple arrived! Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candy red/Maple arrived! Issues

Well my new Charvel Just arrived via UPS. Upon opening the case the guitar is quite a looker. However it was not long until my joy turned to frustration. Upon closer inspection it was obvious that this guitar had been played enough before arriving at my door to soil the fingerboard. You know the drill hold it at an angle and the finger oils show themselves. Anyway I can live with that maybe they gave it a set up at Matts before shipping and liked it so much they had to give it a workout? I then warm up my amp and attempt to plug the cord into the guitar. Guess what? The guitar jack will not accept a cord? I figure it's just the cord so I try another and it wont work eaither. My question now is since the the guitar had obviously been played before I got it. Why would they ship a guitar with a fucked up Jack if they did a set up? Sorry if I seem a little pissed but this makes the second screwed up guitar I recieved this week. First the SG and now this one? Sorry for the Rant !

Most service oriented shops will check and tweak a set up before sending it out, although some people do request that their new toy not be played. Sometimes, it is as simple as a truss rod turn and a check for fret issues. Shops don't always have the time to plug a guitar in. Pick up height is personal and one would hope that some one cared enough to go over the checklist. But wiring issues have also been an issue at Jackson. Big box stores will only wipe a guitar down and hang it.

With the time it took you to post, you could have gotten a philips driver and pulled the 2 screws on the jack plate to check for obstruction. FMIC does not need quality control. They need not concede to any shortcomings. Maybe there is a secret toy suprise inside the jack cavity, specially for you!

Comment

Originally posted by El_Kabong View Post
      Most service oriented shops will check and tweak a set up before sending it out, although some people do request that their new toy not be played. Sometimes, it is as simple as a truss rod turn and a check for fret issues. Shops don't always have the time to plug a guitar in. Pick up height is personal and one would hope that some one cared enough to go over the checklist. But wiring issues have also been an issue at Jackson. Big box stores will only wipe a guitar down and hang it.

With the time it took you to post, you could have gotten a philips driver and pulled the 2 screws on the jack plate to check for obstruction. FMIC does not need quality control. They need not concede to any shortcomings. Maybe there is a secret toy suprise inside the jack cavity, specially for you!
      Wow.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

I did not mean to sound like I did not like the guitar. I think it looks stunning and the neck is the most comfy neck I have ever felt. It is a tad thinner then my MZ Natural yet a bit more beefy then My GX Bullseye pointy. Strumming it the entire guitar resonates nicely and I'm sure that once I can plug it in it will sound great. It is just frustrating to spend $$ and still have issues. I do not know what the other owners payed for there guitars but even these reasonably priced Charvels are still expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
          Wow.
          Sorry, I forgot to add the smilies. If you cannot see an obstuction and a small pen doesn't fit down the shaft something is very bizzare. There is only the jack clip and the solder point where the wiring is connected in the route. Good luck.

Comment

I had the jack issue happen to me on another guitar once. I unscrewed it and flipped it around the other way, and it worked fine. Sometimes the route is a little tight, and the jack will only fit a chord if oriented in one certain direction. No big deal.

Before re-screwing in the opposite direction, though, insert a chord to make sure it isn't a problem with the jack itself. If the chord fits fine, reinstall the jack in the opposite direction and try again. If the chord doesn't fit (with the jack outside the body before reinstalling), try bending the connector back ever so slightly and then try the chord again. Don't bend if you don't have to. And don't bend it too much, or it won't lock your chords in tightly.

Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Sad..........there should be no issues with these guitars at all. Be it jack problems, pickup coming loose in shipping, glue on the fretboards etc. Charvel/Fender are really not keeping tabs on this stuff. I think the same people who are building the 1000.00 Strats must be building these new Charvels. I sent a USA Strat back a few weeks ago because it was just a horrible setup, neck was bowed and would not adjust.

A store setting up your guitar is kind of mute anyway. How do they know your preferences unless they take measurements and record them on paper of previous guitars they have worked on for you, me or anyone else? I never ask a store to do that. I know that no matter what they do, I still have to tweak it. Players should learn to do basic setups on their own. Its fun and saves you mucho dinero.
              Last edited by Dolan; 04-21-2007, 07:07 AM.

Comment

I had the same jack problem on a new Charvel several months ago and I did the same thing that Shreddermon mentioned. I flipped it around and now it works fine. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyr View Post
                  I had the same jack problem on a new Charvel several months ago and I did the same thing that Shreddermon mentioned. I flipped it around and now it works fine. Hope that helps.
                  This problem makes me think they don't even test the electronics before sending it out to the dealer. Why can't they atleast plug in a dummy plug (with a cut off chord) while installing the jack to insure the jack is working with the route while a chord is plugged in?

Comment

I'm really surprised that this is possible. Wouldn't any builder of musical instruments (at least ones that aren't sold at Toys R Us) plug the damn thing and play it for a while before boxing it up? I must be really naive...
                    This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

Sounds consistant with current JCMI manufacturing. It should not have left the dealer and be sent to you this condition unless you agreed to get a non-working sub standard instrument at a discount. It should be setup to factory specs at least, working condition and cleaned of any dust or finger prints before shipment. No excuse.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I finally had time today to give Shreddermon's advice a try. Bingo! the problem seems solved. I hope I have some time tonight to play this guitar. I really like the full tone it has. Very smooth this Punky Ash. I wish I had a copy of the build sheet. Oh' I almost forgot the person filling out the hang tag is eaither ignorant about pickups or blind. The hang tags lists this guitar as a 1hum/sc.I wish I knew how to add smilies to this post? Anyway time to go play it.

Comment

The one I bought a few months ago (different dealer) arrived with a dead 3-way switch and non-functioning volume pot. So it goes.

Comment

Glad it worked out for you, Predator. No big deal.

Comment

P.S. - The build sheets are still up on Matt's website. Direct links are below.

Maple fretboard version:

Pau Ferro fretboard version:

Comment

Working...
                              X