Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the newer San Dimas appreciate in value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the newer San Dimas appreciate in value?

Since things seem to be spiriling downward will the newer Charvels recently produced be more covetted?The one's on eBay seem too sit or sell at a low price.

Time will tell......
    My HO, no they will not.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I doubt they will attain same level of value as an original SD. After all, they are not real San Dimas guitars... more like Corona copies.
      -Rick

Comment

That's like asking if a 1994 Les Paul Standard will ever get the cash a real 1959 Burst gets...

No...

The originals will always command more money...
        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

The thing is, I don't see the price devaluation on these. The market is staying up. The standards were going for 1k new, 800 used. EVHs haven't dropped below 1500-1600. Custom shops go for 1600. I've only played one Standard so far, and thought it was a great guitar. I'm waiting to pick one off, but I'm surprised the price hasn't gone below $800.

Comment

Its demand type thing, yeah right now you can pickup used 2205-6 SD's for app $800.00, but since they stopped making them,people always want something you cant get.
            So in the future you want one,like 80's era SD, youll pay whatever the going rate is. Low production,custom color/configs will be more sought after. Youll have to hang onto one and see.
            Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

I kind of look at guitars like stocks. Because that model appreciated so much in the past, that perception of value gets kind of "baked in" to the price of new ones. As a result, the new ones will appreciate less (or even...depreciate *gasp*).

Comment

Whenever this subject comes up, everybody seems to ignore the fact that the vast majority of San Dimas Charvels did depreciate and still sell for less than their original price. The exceptions are stratheads in original condition or with minimal mods, and pointies with rare graphics and/or factory floyds. And those are just beating inflation by a little bit.

Comment

You want equity in a guitar? Buy low and sell high.

Comment

Who cares? Guitars aren't an "investment". They're meant to be played. And, like most anything else, 95% of guitars will depreciate in value. Buying guitars to try to make money would be a fool's bet.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                      Who cares? Guitars aren't an "investment". They're meant to be played. And, like most anything else, 95% of guitars will depreciate in value. Buying guitars to try to make money would be a fool's bet.
                      Ahh.........................someones gets it!!

Comment

A lot of us "get" it. The problem is that over the last 5-7 years people who were never drawn to the original charvels started buying in as investments and created a high demand market. This ruined it for those who actually buy them to play them by making them way too expensive.

Some of us older collectors remember the days of very inexpensive used Charvels... USA's for $300 because no one wanted them ...
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Agreed, Kev. I think the guy's original question was something to the effect of this, though...

Used prices on the new ones are down to a reasonable level, esp the pointyheads. If they stop production on the new USA Charvel line, maybe the supply will go scarce and prices will go up over time. i.e., Similar to what happened with the originals. So maybe he's looking to make some $$$ by buying low (now) selling high (later) on the new line.

...At least, that's how I read it. Could be wrong.

You could see something similar to the originals SDs happen with the new line, but - to use some investment terminology - it'd be totally speculative. 95% of guitars are not investments and, IMHO, trying to make gains on them is a foolish way to use your money. Charvel or otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post

Thats the way I look at as well. You kinda have to put a dollar value on intangables as well...how much fun and time you spend with is worth something, you dont give that away when you sell a guitar

I personally don't think they'll be worth a helluva lot more or appreciate but you never know what the market will do in the future. If Fender today decided to dissolve the Charvel and Jackson brand and stopped production then I could see them beeing worth someting some day.

eBay jacked up the market price because it reached more and more people who wanted them, and had an easy means of finding them vs. hitting pawn shops, calling all around the country seeking them out. Whenever you have more than one person wanting something the price will go up, the ol supply and demand thingy. The bottom line is as far as investments go, there's much better things to invest in than Chavel guitars
                            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Ok, ask yourselves this to gage an idea in value..this could be interesting.

The GX Bullseye~ 30 made, the only 30 small batch with Ontario 3d plates. High quality guitars..

They aren't San Dimas and dollar for dollar were a bit cheaper than its Corona counterpart..

Will it appreciate because it was so LTD?
                              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Working...
                              X