Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the newer San Dimas appreciate in value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
    Who cares? Guitars aren't an "investment". They're meant to be played. And, like most anything else, 95% of guitars will depreciate in value. Buying guitars to try to make money would be a fool's bet.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Well said.
    Therefore my criticism of the Blackie $20k, Jeff Beck Esq. $14k, Frankie $25k, etc. The "collectors" and "speculators" that for the most part can't play, validated the inner most greed of the manufacturers by buying these "pieces of art" that are supposed to be guitars.

How far do we go after the ceiling is set so high and the line between art and musical crafted item gets blurred? Do we consider Learn's creations art? and therefore charge $8k? Do we consider bullseye, spider web or any other basic graphics art and then start charging $6k for a one humbucker, FR guitar?

Perhaps we are in the middle of that....

Guitars are meant to be played!!!!
    Buy a Van Gogh, Picaso, Dali or whoever you damn please, but play guitars and stay in the museum or gallery for high price art.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
      Ok, ask yourselves this to gage an idea in value..this could be interesting.

The GX Bullseye~ 30 made, the only 30 small batch with Ontario 3d plates. High quality guitars..

They aren't San Dimas and dollar for dollar were a bit cheaper than its Corona counterpart..

Will it appreciate because it was so LTD?
      yeah only if Charvel and Jackson stoppedbeing made. Although those were an LTD run I personally dont thing they are unique enough. You could order one from the CS if you wanted to. The pinstrip Jackson LDT's are unique because you cnt order one to the exact same specs but you could grab a 25 ani but I'd rather have one of the riginals
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

See there's the key Shawn, everyone covets the originals. The fact is if you want to spend the money now, you can get one just like an original so that theory becomes no different from the bullseyes. How many GX bullseyes do you see go up for sale now?

I think over time the lines become blurred about where they were made as opposed to how many were made. Right now it appears the Charvel Corona production is lower than the original San Dimas run. Because there's ltd supply and people take note they will eventually drive prices up ..
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I should've never sold my Bullseye. Damnit, Kev, why didn't you spec 'em with a neck pickup?! I would've kept it then. ...j/k

Then again, Charvel should've made the H-S bullseye that I ordered to replace it. But that's a different story.

Comment

Well there are a few USA Charvels on eBay that are sitting.Who would buy the first run San Dimas w/ Kahler for double the price of a new one?A year from now if those same newer Charvels appeared on eBay would prices be higher due to no more USA Charvels?

Comment

Well when I spec'd those with Lloyd we were looking for a low cost mass appeal Charvel. a neck pu would have driven the price point up. We spec'd out 4 different guitars and built the most cost effective and then Llyod cut the price by $100 for presold guitars...

FWIW the original quote on those was $1700 ... Lloyd got them to knock more off because of the JCF-01 messups ..

The key I think on that one was the maple fretboard ... The only other "produced" C/J at that time with the maple were the PC's
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
                A lot of us "get" it. The problem is that over the last 5-7 years people who were never drawn to the original charvels started buying in as investments and created a high demand market. This ruined it for those who actually buy them to play them by making them way too expensive.

Some of us older collectors remember the days of very inexpensive used Charvels... USA's for $300 because no one wanted them ...

And some of us remember prior to that $300 wouldnt get you in the door. There was a dealer local to me at the time that was taking bribes to change the order of the builds he had on order. Of course it never worked... but people were doing it.

Comment

Yep, in 1984 daddy's Junky music had charvels on the wall for between $1000 and $1400 new ... 4 yrs later they bottomed out

Comment

Will the newer San Dimas appreciate in value?
                    Absolutely not, instead as we speak they are deappreciating.
                    To help you resolve this great troubling conflict your facing I'll take all your
                    newer san dimas' off your hands for nothing, thats right for nothing.
                    Then I suppose afterwards you might sleep abit better.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

You guys are so correct, but it goes even deeper IMHO. People cherish the 69 Camaro not only because it was a great car, but because it invokes memories of the muscle car era. People cherish the 59 Les Paul in part because it was so innovative at the time, and also because so much
                      great music was created using it. The 60's strats are desirable in part because of Hendrix. I guess what I am saying is that it takes more than just time for appreciation to occur, it also takes a little something special going on in addition. Those early strathead Charvels are synonymous with 80's metal....but what exactly is a 2007 Charvel synonymous with?!? Will anybody look back at 2007 with the same kind of nostalgia?!? That's not really a question...I know the answer.

Comment

Man... i dont know what you guys are talking about? I paid $2200 for my
                        HRF Eldred Charvel with matching headstock...and just sold it yesterday for $2300.00 ! APPRECIATION Kitty's! :-) *(im in an Ibanez lust
                        mode right now, so im taking the chance that the Charvels are NOT going
                        'to explode in the future!) Time will tell
                        ** You guys would have given me $2300 for it too right?

Comment

I don't really care. I like my '05 "San Dimas" Star a lot! The Duncan Custom 5 bridge pup had to go, a DiMarzio Tone Zone is now in its place. The Jazz is one of the greatest neck pickups, though.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't think they will appreciate in value, because to be honest they are not that great.

I absolutely love these USA Charvel guitars, I own a few of them, but they don't have that "generational" appeal that the original San Dimas had on most of us back in the '80s.

Also, objectively nowadays there are many guitars similar in concept which are simply better made and with a higher value for money (Suhr above all).

Comment

I agree the Suhrs are better made but you're talking about a huge price differential. Some of the online dealers were selling the new San Dimas line brand new for sub $1,000. I've yet to see a Suhr (other than the stock pros) go brand new for sub $2,000.

Comment

Please let me know (PM if need be) which online dealers are selling new Charvels for sub-$1000. That seems really low. Unless they have v-trems, I've seen those go for $800 on the bay.
                                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
                                X