No announcement yet.

Questions from Charvel Forum Newbie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dont use lemon oil (no no) I have and use Gibson "Luthiers Choice" Fretboard condtioner.
    I agree with half of this statement...stay away from lemon oil. In addition, stay away from Gibson's product as well!!! Any fretboard conditioner/oil that contains petroleum distillates will do more harm than good over the long run. Most oils (lemon, walnut, etc) are simply scented mineral oil. This will make your fretboard look great but it is not absorbed into the cellular structure of the wood...it simply coats the surface but penetrates very little.

I discovered a product called Fretdoctor a few years ago and have never looked back...its absolutely amazing. It was developed to restore old wooden fifes but became more popular as a fretboard treatment.
    The guy's website is http://beafifer.com, check it out.

Comment

So are the current line of Charvels made in San Dimas?

WAYNE guitars are made in San Dimas correct?

Comment

Originally posted by ~gino~ View Post
        So are the current line of Charvels made in San Dimas?

WAYNE guitars are made in San Dimas correct?
        No and no

Comment

Anything made in San Dimas?

Comment

If you want to get technical, I am pretty sure that the originals were not actually made in San Dimas - that was where Charvel had a P.O. Box. Shop was in Glendora? I think. Fender simply re-aquired the original P.O. Box to use again for Charvel.
            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
              If you want to get technical, I am pretty sure that the originals were not actually made in San Dimas - that was where Charvel had a P.O. Box. Shop was in Glendora? I think.
              See posts 14 & 15
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                I agree with half of this statement...stay away from lemon oil. In addition, stay away from Gibson's product as well!!! Any fretboard conditioner/oil that contains petroleum distillates will do more harm than good over the long run. Most oils (lemon, walnut, etc) are simply scented mineral oil. This will make your fretboard look great but it is not absorbed into the cellular structure of the wood...it simply coats the surface but penetrates very little.

I discovered a product called Fretdoctor a few years ago and have never looked back...its absolutely amazing. It was developed to restore old wooden fifes but became more popular as a fretboard treatment.
                The guy's website is http://beafifer.com, check it out.

thank you. i will check that site out...

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                  NO its not made in san dimas but neither were the originals, glendora was where the first factory was. San Dimas was just the mailing address/PO box. they are not MADE in the orignal factory they are just made to the "original san dimas" specs. i believe they are made in the corona jackson/fender plant.
                  Sigh...lol. Well, it's made in the good ol' USA! I guess the bottom line is whether or not this will be a sweet playing and sounding instrument (regardless of where it was made)? Opinions? Who has one?

Thanks for the input by the way, i do appreciate it...

Comment

Rupe: I hear ya, I had purchased the Gibson stuff soon after getting the Charvel and briefly used it.
                    I now use a product from a Master Luthier "Martin Miranda" ( Valley Arts Guitars LA,Cali ) that he himself makes and been using this for months now.
                    The FB on "StrongDoc's" Charvel was so parched that even the Gibson stuff would help and is readily available at GC's.
                    Martin told me not ever to use lemon oil, so I dont anymore.

StrongDoc. . .I have a new Charvel San Dimas and the thing plays sweet, sounds incredible.I know cause I had back in the day (1987) a Jackson bolt-on which is the same as my new Charvel, as far as tone,neck etc. I would not be able to tell the difference if blind folded.
                    Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
                      Rupe: I hear ya, I had purchased the Gibson stuff soon after getting the Charvel and briefly used it.
                      I now use a product from a Master Luthier "Martin Miranda" ( Valley Arts Guitars LA,Cali ) that he himself makes and been using this for months now.
                      The FB on "StrongDoc's" Charvel was so parched that even the Gibson stuff would help and is readily available at GC's.
                      Martin told me not ever to use lemon oil, so I dont anymore.

StrongDoc. . .I have a new Charvel San Dimas and the thing plays sweet, sounds incredible.I know cause I had back in the day (1987) a Jackson bolt-on which is the same as my new Charvel, as far as tone,neck etc. I would not be able to tell the difference if blind folded.
                      that's the kinda reply i'm looking for! thanks my man. I just ordered that fretdoctor oil and will apply it and restring when she gets here. can't wait to get 'em... the jackson xl pro and the san dimas reissue.

Comment

StrongDoc: Here is my baby.
                        Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Damn...she's pretty. Where did you get the gold tuners, truss rod cover, and humbuck ring? very clean my man. sweet axe.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                            No and no

Totally agree.

Comment

Working...
                            X