Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older Charvels BETTER or just more Valueble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Charvels BETTER or just more Valueble?

This is a good question ive been thinking about.

Take a 81-82 Strathead Charvel that would sell for $2500+ and a 2006 Charvel San Dimas that would sell for $1600.

I dont have either so I cant really say but any of you who DO have both, are the old ones better sounding, playing etc, or are they just worth more due to their rarity?

Rarity.
    -Rick

Comment

Tastes great!

Less filling!

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        Tastes great!

Less filling!

what does that mean exactly?

Comment

You'd be lucky to get an 81-81 Strathead for $2500. The + sign will be getting a lot of use.

The guitars from that era were made with a different attitude than today. Today's guitars are great no doubt, for the most part. But the early ones were built with with a pioneering spirit of making the best guitars of the day, and this shows with the woods used and attention to detail. These days, everything is measured out by accountants with an eye on the bottom line. It happens.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
            Tastes great!

Less filling!

Originally posted by ~gino~ View Post
            what does that mean exactly?

Those are lines from an old light beer commercial shown in the US; half the bar would shout "Tastes great!", the other half would reply "Less filling!"

In this context, I believe what shreddermon is saying with his (ancient) pop culture reference is that you will have fans of the both the old & the new and each will have their reasons.

Gino, where do you reside?
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              Those are lines from an old light beer commercial shown in the US; half the bar would shout "Tastes great!", the other half would reply "Less filling!"

In this context, I believe what shreddermon is saying with his (ancient) pop culture reference is that you will have fans of the both the old & the new and each will have their reasons.

Gino, where do you reside?
              The US.

Hey Racer...who would win in a fight between Fedor and Tyson?

Comment

Hey, that reminds me... I met Mike Tyson a couple weeks ago...

maybe I'll write a thread....
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by ~gino~ View Post
                  This is a good question ive been thinking about.

Take a 81-82 Strathead Charvel that would sell for $2500+ and a 2006 Charvel San Dimas that would sell for $1600.

I dont have either so I cant really say but any of you who DO have both, are the old ones better sounding, playing etc, or are they just worth more due to their rarity?
                  Supply vs. demand.

Comment

The Early stuff were made by Wayne Charvel himself?? So it's kinda like getting one of his custom mades today...

But with better material than what you get now...

That was the impression I got anyway
                    Jason Becker / Paul Gilbert Wannabe

Comment

99% of the "early stuff was not actually made by Wayne himself. He sold out to Grover Jackson in 1978, way before any of the serialized guitars (hell, before almost all of the guitars that everyone thinks of when you think Charvel, were made).
                      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Yes, Wayne never actually made a Charvel guitar, he built parts guitars. Grover built the first real Charvels and took them to Namm (79?).

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          In this context, I believe what shreddermon is saying with his (ancient) pop culture reference...
                          Ancient, huh? And I believe it was a Miller Lite commercial.

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
                          99% of the "early stuff" was not actually made by Wayne himself. He sold out to Grover Jackson in 1978, way before any of the serialized guitars (hell, before almost all of the guitars that everyone thinks of when you think Charvel, were made).
                          +1. Seems to be a lot of newbies coming lately that believe what Wayne would like people to believe.

Comment

the rarity is also how many of these old one got molested. floyds or kahlers added, pickups routed all sort of strange shit.

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
                              99% of the "early stuff was not actually made by Wayne himself. He sold out to Grover Jackson in 1978, way before any of the serialized guitars (hell, before almost all of the guitars that everyone thinks of when you think Charvel, were made).
                              +1 Absolutely Correct!

Originally posted by Genebaby View Post
                              Yes, Wayne never actually made a Charvel guitar, he built parts guitars. Grover built the first real Charvels and took them to Namm (79?).
                              Another +1

Comment

Working...
                              X