What is with all of the Single-hums? :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is with all of the Single-hums? :(

I just don't get the custom shop's obsession with single hum guitars. Sure, it is kind of a Charvel "trademark". But let's look at their own poll results...

Configuration - Percentage

Double Hum - 39.8%
    Single Hum - 23%
    Hum/Single/Single - 20%
    Hum/Single - 12.9%

So 40% of us want HH and 33% want either HSS or HS - 73% in total. So nearly three-quarters of the voters wanted something other than single hum!

More importantly, I repeatedly hear people (myself included) say that they're pretty much not interested in buying single hum guitars at all. I need the flexibility of a neck pickup.

I'll bet that if you ask the opposite, though - whether people who prefer the single hum layout will refuse to buy a multi-PU guitar? - you don't get anything like that same reaction. Additional tonal flexibility usually isn't a "negative" for guitarists, right?

We want Floyds and either HH or HSS/HS layouts. That is the big-ole-hunka-sweet-spot of the Charvel market! We've pretty much been saying so ever since the 25ths were released.
    Last edited by shreddermon; 02-11-2008, 06:41 PM.

Good point.........The H-H to me is the most versatile and I like S-H also (it's the coolest looking pickup arangement IMHO). With S-S-H the middle pickup gets in the way for me........but that's just me

Anyway, my theory with Custom Shop is that 1-Hum guitars look cooler, allow more to be done graphics-wise, and many artist-influenced models such as EVH and WDM were originally 1-Hum......And it is indeed very 80's....I wonder "half jokingly" if they also try to save the cost of a neck pickup?????

Comment

THEY aren't listening.
      Funny, whenever I'm stuck with a single pup shredder, I stick a stacked hum in it.
      Wonder why?

Comment

most 'classic' rock and metal tends to use the bridge pickup the most. single hum is pure classic 80s. u want a classic 80s rock guitar? buy a charvel. the 3 go hand in hand. simple as. and if u don't like it complain to [email protected]
        Last edited by sonicsamurai; 02-11-2008, 07:07 PM.

Comment

So 40% of us want HH and 33% want either HSS or HS - 73% in total. So nearly three-quarters of the voters wanted something other than single hum!
          thats an invalid point i think.

Comment

I don't get the single hum either.
            To make a true 80's shred machine yes, by all means. I have bought and will buy some more.

But in reality, unles you are in a cover band playing 100% 80's stuff it just not make any sense. I find myself playing the bridge hum quite a bit , but a lot of times I have to switch to the mid or neck single coils for certain rythmic sections or bluesy tones.

I guess I could take a couple of axes and set them on stands. But wouldn't it be nice to have a kick ass looking and playing axe to kill 80% of the set?
            I wholeheatedly believe that the spice of life is variety. Too much of anything is boring.
            Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Let's be honest, most people who like single hums like them because of the look. I know I do!

From a visual standpoint on rear loaded strat types, I like single hums. I like h/s. I don't generally like h/s/s (I said generally Pat!!) and I'm not keen on 2 hums.

However, from a versitility perspective, h/s/s or h/h with coil taps win every time. So at times, do I compromise versitility for looks? You bet. I'm shallow. So shoot me! 3 mini toggles give you more options, but they're a pain to use. Then you go down the BC Rich route with a million combinations that no-one ever uses....
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I tend to destroy the knob, switches, and electronics on my guitars over time. I must say, the single hum/no tone/no switch configs are the most indestructible!

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
                  thats an invalid point i think.
                  Huh? How are the numbers invalid? Never taken a logic class, have you?

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  Let's be honest, most people who like single hums like them because of the look. I know I do!
                  I like the looks of a single hum layout, too. Especially if a graphic is involved. Nothing wrong with that. The only single hum guitar I've kept, though, is my EVH - so, yeah, I make exceptions, too. ...But it seems I like function a lot more than form.

Comment

Single hum and hum single are my two favorites.

To make a single hum more flexible, you can put in a tone knob, and have both volume and tone push/pull for parallel and single coil modes.

Then the question is, if only one pickup, which one?

Comment

I like pretty much every combo out there for different things. I play in a 70's/80's hard rock/classic metal cover band so I can get away with a single hum guitar for most of the night. My favorite is a H/S as I like soloing on the neck pickup for sweeps and fast alternate picked runs. For the utmost in versatility, nothing really touches a H/S/S setup as that middle pickup combined with either the bridge or neck is where the sweetest clean tones lie. H/H is cool with the right pickups, but it seems too many guitars with this combo tend to sound too dark in the neck for me (I like a Duncan Jazz or PG for neck 'buckers). Hell, I even dig S/S/S for blues and classic rock. A well dialed in bridge single coil will cut through a busy mix like a knife and they track great for recording as well.
                      I never choose my pickup layout for "looks"...I always put function over form. That said, I can find functionality in pretty much every combination.

Comment

Single hums are no frills hotrods .. basically no B.S guitars .. it also leaves a lot of real estate for graphics. I'd never have done my bigmouths with anything but either 1 hum or a hum/single
                        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
                          Single hums are no frills hotrods .. basically no B.S guitars .. it also leaves a lot of real estate for graphics. I'd never have done my bigmouths with anything but either 1 hum or a hum/single
                          +1

"The Hand" wouldn't have been as cool with more pickups. It's about simplicity for me.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

My favorite pickup layout bar none is the Single Hum as I never and meen never use a middle or neck pickup. I will be ordering a new Carvin TL60C(Tele neck through type with Floyd) with just one Hum this year and the pointy headstock option-yea babyIf Jackson didn`t raise their prices through the roof, it would have been a Jackson or Charvel.

Jack

Comment

I like to have a simple guitar and switch my amp for different tones. I play melodic death metal and all I use is 85's in bridge. The more knobs the worse I do live I just keep to 1 vol 1 tone.
                              Jackson KV2T Black Ghost Flames with EMG's

Comment

Working...
                              X