What is with all of the Single-hums? :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    1-hums do not have more visual appeal to me. When I see them in catalogs or dealer listings or at NAMM, I am instantly let down because I see a guitar that I'd buy if it only had one more pickup.
    Thats what routers are for.

Come on Dr. you know that!
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post

They also make wood putty and paint for you minimalists
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

One hum, one knob, one God. Basic is best.

Comment

I dont believe in god, does that mean I have to go war angel on all my guitars and take away their controls?

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post

I thought this is what routers are for:

-------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

I think most of us have so many guitars of different layouts that its irrelevant.

Yes, if you have 1 guitar, HH works best, but the reality is, its fun to have some of each.
              Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

let me sum it up. (back to the original question)

most production models are multi pickup guitars, HSS or HH generally.

so to get a 1 hum from jackson or charvel you have to go Custom Shop. - Get it?
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                  I just don't get the custom shop's obsession with single hum guitars. Sure, it is kind of a Charvel "trademark". But let's look at their own poll results...

Configuration - Percentage

Double Hum - 39.8%
                  Single Hum - 23%
                  Hum/Single/Single - 20%
                  Hum/Single - 12.9%

So 40% of us want HH and 33% want either HSS or HS - 73% in total. So nearly three-quarters of the voters wanted something other than single hum!

More importantly, I repeatedly hear people (myself included) say that they're pretty much not interested in buying single hum guitars at all. I need the flexibility of a neck pickup.

I'll bet that if you ask the opposite, though - whether people who prefer the single hum layout will refuse to buy a multi-PU guitar? - you don't get anything like that same reaction. Additional tonal flexibility usually isn't a "negative" for guitarists, right?

We want Floyds and either HH or HSS/HS layouts. That is the big-ole-hunka-sweet-spot of the Charvel market! We've pretty much been saying so ever since the 25ths were released.
                  Here's how this logic is flawed: You are lumping together the preferences other than single hum. In other words you have grouped the h/h, h/s/s and h/s into a single category while they are all separate preferences. This grouping turns the debate into single hum vs. non single and suggests that those who did not vote for single hum would be happy with any other option than single hum.

Using this logic you could say that 80% of players don't want an h/s/s axe, but I bet the sl1 is one of Jackson's top sellers. In fact you could ask "why do they make h/s/s guitars when only 20% of players want them?" as h/s/s got an even lower vote than single hums.

If there is a market for single hum guitars, and based on the poll quoted roughly a quarter of players do want one, single hum guitars will be made and marketed.

Here's my .02$. I wouldn't play a guitar with single coils. I have two h/h and two single hums that I play regularly. I usually solo with the bridge pickup when I play the h/h's, so yes, I would buy another single hum guitar.
                  Last edited by levantin; 01-08-2009, 03:58 PM.
                  I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

single hum is all one needs, and it doesnt crowd the face of a guitar especially if it carries a graphic.

Comment

Working...
                    X