EVH vs. DeMartini Charvels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH vs. DeMartini Charvels

I've played a few EVHs, but not a DeMartini yet, and wanted to hear some feedback/comparisions from people that have owned (or at least played) both models. I'm not too interested in opinions or comments on the graphics, that's purely personal preference. I guess the main differences are going to be the pups and the necks. IMO, I love everything about the EVH - except those damn skinny 6105 frets! (I know, I know, I always bitch about them ) The DeMartini appears to have jumbos, which is a big plus. And I know the EVH has a 1 5/8" nut and dtuna (both good points for me). Is the OFR on the Warren floating or not (I would want to install a dtuna). Also, is the DeMartini neck completely raw like the EVH, or does it have some coating?

So I'm curious to hear which guitar JCFers prefer and why.
    EVH Art Series
    30.30%
    Warren DeMartini San Dimas
    69.70%
    Last edited by jwoods986; 03-06-2008, 03:48 PM.
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

I voted WD because the neck on the WD is so exquisite and the pup is very good.

It wasn't that easy as I LOVE the EVH pup and the EVH graphics are just classic. But both have floyds and both are single hum. Close but the WD narrowly takes it.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I voted for EVH because of the big fat ass necks on them. Love those necks.
      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
        big fat ass neck? huh? dude.....
        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

Haven't played a Dimartini yet, but I understand they have the standard Charvel neck profile. From that perspective, I'd give the nod the the EVHs, as they have more unique specs - neck backshape, blocked trem, special PU (not available on any other model nor aftermarket), 1 & 5/8ths nut, basswood body (although some folks will consider that a negative), etc. Otherwise, though, it's just a personal preference on the graphics.

Comment

The neck on my EVH is a little diffrent then most( I picked it out from a stock of 8 guitars. It is very much like a San Dimas shape kinda thin up near the 1st thru 5th frets and more rounded and EVH like up the neck. The other 7 all had a rather rounded and thick neck. In addition I know mine has an oil finish on the neck. I still think I prefer Alder bodies to Basswood.

Comment

by playing an EVH, you look like an idiot IMHO, just because that is obviously Eddie's guitar, but since WD is lesser known, that makes it more playable
              Out Of Ideas

Comment

First the WD is my pic...because of the thinner normal neck. The EVH
                is ok... but too thick imo. Eddie likes it..and that's what matters! Both
                are raw Maple, with no apparent sealant on the fretboard. The PUP's
                are about equal imo. Both Great! Seems that the FR's are both ok for
                a D'Tuna although the EVH's are on the body...but still have clearance
                for the "D'...and the WD's are floating about 1/4" off the body.
                That's what im in the middle of doing, is adding the D' Tuner to my
                HRF, and maybe the Crossed Swords! (this for the lurker, my Brother in
                law who owns the Crossed Swords....for NOW!) LOL
                I would guess that the WD's neck is a good 3/16" thinner than
                the Gibson LP like EVH. Both are a kick to play though! And yes...6100
                jumbo's on the WD's.. Do it!

Sounds especially great thru the EVH 1/2 stack! Booey

ALL PHOTO"S COURTESY OF MY BROTHER in LAW !!!
                Last edited by Robert Burns; 03-06-2008, 06:03 PM.

Comment

WOW, an ADA pre-amp... that was my first pre-amp! I had that coupled with a 50-50 for a couple years....

How do you like your new 5150 III?

Comment

Well maybe this is fate. I just went to my local shop at lunch (with a Ratt CD playing in the car -lol) to ask if there was any chance of them getting a DeMartini in. But when I went in, I got side-tracked by my buddy there who showed me this really sweet Charvel that he said is a NAMM limited run (quilt top, rosewood board, H/H). A little while latter, he mentions that they are going to be getting a DeMartini, which freaked me out. So I ask what scheme, and he said the Crossed Swords - which is the one I would get! I forgot to ask when they were expecting it, but hopefully I'll be able to vote in my own poll soon
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal View Post
                      Ha! The EVH neck is a bit on the small side to me.

I wonder what you'd think of my '54 Historic - it's a tree trunk compared to an EVH.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                        Ha! The EVH neck is a bit on the small side to me.

I wonder what you'd think of my '54 Historic - it's a tree trunk compared to an EVH.
                        Of the 3 EVH's I've played I would say they have big necks. Big for a Charvel. Not big for a Gibson. The neck is not very wide, but it has a decent shoulder and a nice round backshape that fills the hand very nicely. Very similar to the Wolfgangs.

I guess some of you don't think they are fat. Cool. But compaired to other CHARVELS, I think they are pretty fat.

As for a 54 Historic? Goldtop with P-90's? Nice guitars. Not my cup of tea but nice.

The neck on my H-80 rivals those on the 54-58's.
                        Last edited by Bengal; 03-07-2008, 05:58 PM. Reason: Editing out smart ass comments
                        I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

The Warrens feel like Charvels. The EVHs do not. Simple as that. Looks dont mean too much to me if the feel is not there.
                          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I've never played any of the EVH guitars or any of WD guitars.
                            I can't give a hands on comment.
                            Just to look at, Warrens guitars win hands down.
                            My favorite is the white one, I think and I could be wrong, its called "Frenchy", maybe?
                            Even so, a very sweet looking guitar, its plain but beautiful to me.
                            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                            X