Custom Shop Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Shop Modification

After long consideration, I'm fairly certain I want to make some modifications to my Custom Shop Star. I really need to add another pickup and a 3 way toggle. If I go to the trouble of effecting those mods, I figure I might as well add a new custom paint job.

So I'm looking for some serious top notch luthiers to do these mods. I do NOT want to *#%& up the axe trying these mods myself- regardless of how satisfying it might be to do them myself. Likewise, with the custom paint job. I would like to have as many options as possible. Any suggestions?

Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Just get a push/pull pot to split your pickup. Why would you buy a Custom Shop model and change the paint?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Just get a push/pull pot to split your pickup. Why would you buy a Custom Shop model and change the paint?
        Like Toejam said and or switch pickups. You can add a pickup rout to the guitar with a routing template as is and leave the original paint intact.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

No Sh*t. I don't have my pics posted on a website that I can use the URL from. I've always just attached the jpgs to the document. If you know of a way to circumvent that procedure, I'm all ears.

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post

Comment

I didn't buy it- my wife did and it's a damned fine guitar and it has sentimental value. But it only has the one DiMarzio and I like phasing between two humbuckers for that funky, chunky tone that's great for sweep picking and clean, melodic passages.

Comment

Go here for everything you need to know about posting pics.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                +1

To make toe happy, I'll even suggest an EMG89. You'll get the tone of an EMG85 or an EMG-SA.

If you want to keep you current pickup, a push/pull could also put it into parallel mode if you don't like a split.

Comment

For NextInLine-- this is the Charvel as is:

This is the proposed graphic paint job:

Comment

Mucho Gracias, Surfdork. I now have imagery.

Originally posted by surfdork View Post
                    Go here for everything you need to know about posting pics.

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29708

Comment

I would still recomend a replacement body, but if you are set on cutting that one up and re-finning, contact Todd at Big Head Guitars. I believe that Marty Bell is another options. I have only used GMW/Dan L. for paint work personally and I understand that may not be possible anymore (and even if it were, Dan, while great, is slow).
                      "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        To make toe happy, I'll even suggest an EMG89. You'll get the tone of an EMG85 or an EMG-SA.

If you want to keep you current pickup, a push/pull could also put it into parallel mode if you don't like a split.
                        Indeed. And you can even add a concentric pot so you can get a tone control as well as the volume, and you won't have to do any routing.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                          Holy SHIT! That thing is amazing, I'd definitely leave it as is, but it could be better with the radioactivity sign
                          Check my bands!
                          www.myspace.com/magicktr
                          www.myspace.com/sinif64
                          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

It really doesn't look bad with that graphic, as it's not deviating much from the original paint, but I don't think it will look right with a neck pickup unless you're also going to paint the pickup.

Comment

Looks like a pretty simple job. Routing the pick up and matching the pickups to be painted shouldnt be that difficult either. You could also paint the rings while you are at it.
                              Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                              http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X