Favorite body wood for charvels/ Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
    Nowadays I specifically go for lightweight mahogany, which is hard to find as generally mahogany tends to be dense and heavy
    Sounds like you would love to chop up my '63 SG Special. It's a featherweight of at most 6lbs., and yes it sounds killer with P90s.

Why is this discussion limited to just Charvels and not any bolt on? I don't see why it needs to be limited.

That said, I have two bolt on guitars (at the least) that I will never part with.

1. Alder. My Frankenstrat Aria Pro II. Started life as an RS Classic (3 jazzy singles and a V-trem) and is now a tiger striped 1 hum (Screamin Demon), Kahler Killer trem, and sunken / angled neck pocket with a super tight fit. This guitar is my Lynch and Armored Saint tone nailer.

2. Basswood. Jackson Professional Fusion Pro. This nails Queensryche tones with the J50B(c?).

I've never played with a mahogany, ash or maple bodied bolt on so I'm not sure how I'd like those. I have a maple body project that needs a paint job. I'd like to try an ash body loaded with Super Distortions, ala Dave Murray.

Comment

alder, it has that perfect nasaly crispy growl.

Comment

I like poplar because it's a lot like alder, but has that allure of being hard to find in J/C's.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
          What about them exactly appeals to you, what kind of tone would you describe each of them as?
          I'm particularily interested in these two, because i'm looking at some guitars that use these wood, and the price difference between a maple version to an ash version is pretty big, i was afraid the get the maple (cheaper one) because i don't know if it will be to bright or twangy, like a telecaster or something.
          Like to hear your input.

Or anybodies input for that matter...
          I like these two woods as well. Both tend to be heavy (norther "hard" ash is nothing like southern "swap" ash). Tonally, I have found that nothern ash as some of the qualities of mahogony without the being extra "dark". Maple on the otherhand, tends to be very bright especially with a maple board. Its a good compliment for and ebony board.

Lately I have been liking Alder - even the "boat anchor" heavy stuff for its tone.
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Plus alder has the added attraction of being good for cooking salmon on.

Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
              Maple on the otherhand, tends to be very bright especially with a maple board. Its a good compliment for and ebony board.
              Ebony is even brighter than maple...not sure where you're coming from with that statement. Ebony makes a beautiful fretboard but tonally its rather harsh. I love my Les Paul Custom but I find myself always tweaking my tone when I use it along with my main live guitars with rosewood and maple fretboards.
              Last edited by Rupe; 04-13-2008, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Double post
                Last edited by Rupe; 04-13-2008, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X