Fretboard crack and headstock clearcoat bubble :O(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard crack and headstock clearcoat bubble :O(

Has anyone had any issues like this with their San Dimas reissue Charvels and if so what did you do to get them fixed? Were they fixed under warranty? Sould I be concerend with this getting worse? Check out the pics: http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/a...rvel%20issues/

Looks like a warranty issue. JCF members had to go to a J/C dealer and have it returned to Corona, CA for repairs. Turnaround? Depends on the extent of repair.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The clearcoat issue is pretty well known and common on the pointies, unfortunately. Member ADR here had his fixed under warranty, and they turned it around surprisingly quick for him. Those bubbles (delaminated clearcoat) do tend to get worse with time. Not sure about the fretboard crack. I'm no expert on that stuff, but it looks like glue & a clamp should take care of it. I'd run it by them & see if they'll handle it when they repaint the headstock.

Comment

Don't accept the fretboard issue! The crack will grow with temperature up- and downs + vibrations from actually playing the guitar.

Comment

Well, I just emailed customer service and sent them the pics so we'll see what they have to say. I also contacted the dealer I purchased the guitar from. This kills me! I love the neck but I'm hoping that they'll just replace the whole thing and not refinish the headstock and glue the fretboard. I wonder to if I'll have to send them the whole guitar or just the neck? Anyone know the answer to this?

Comment

You will be required to send the entire instrument.
            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

i'm sure that they'll glue the neck. once done, you most likely won't see it. it's a really easy fix. if there wasn't a clear coat issue, i'd recommend fixing it on your own or locally.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

What's this I read?

Originally posted by dg View Post
                The clearcoat issue is pretty well known and common on the pointies, unfortunately. Member ADR here had his fixed under warranty, and they turned it around surprisingly quick for him. Those bubbles (delaminated clearcoat) do tend to get worse with time. Not sure about the fretboard crack. I'm no expert on that stuff, but it looks like glue & a clamp should take care of it. I'd run it by them & see if they'll handle it when they repaint the headstock.
                dg:right on.

Yes,if your are the orignal purchaser you can bring it to any "Authorized Fender Dealer",or the place of purchase which will make it much easier.

My San Dimas had a headstock lifting issue and they completely took care of it,10X happier after the repair.The Custom Shop guys did a fantastic job.

I went back to the Music store and filed a claim.Like Mike(Learn) said,you will need to send back the entire instrument in case.Mine took 31 days from drop off to pickup.

Keep us posted,I def can help you thru this,I've been there and don't give up,they will take care of it.It has a lifetime Warranty to the orignal purchaser.
                Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

ADR has spoken. I couldn't remember if it was you or not. I remember it was not long ago. At least my short term memory hasn't completely gone away yet
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Bengal65: GrassHopper say "very good memory".

beachjammer:I PM'd you the linky were talking about.
                    Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Here's the response I've gotten so far:

Hi Keith,

What you need to do is get your instrument along with a copy of your receipt to an Authorized Service Center in your area. This way we can get a hands-on, eyes-on evaluation of your instrument. Here’s a link to a list of all guitar service centers in TN: http://www.fender.com/support/servic...ters_usgtr.php

To be honest, I’ve never seen a crack like that on an instrument that didn’t face some kind of impact. However, we can’t really say for sure until it’s at a service center. Give me a call if you have any questions.

Best regards,

The problem is that the only service center that I have close to me is crap. I want to send my guitar directly to the factory for inspection. I'm definately not going to ship it to some 1/2 bit service center unless someone here has dealt with one personally and can vouch that it's reputable.

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
                          Here's the response I've gotten so far:
                          . Here’s a link to a list of all guitar service centers in TN:

To be honest, I’ve never seen a crack like that on an instrument that didn’t face some kind of impact. However, we can’t really say for sure until it’s at a service center. Give me a call if you have any questions.
                          Looking at the pics & the close proximity of the clearcoat issue to the crack, it wouldnt shock me if they said it was the result of an impact.

Hopefully they will just repair it if you like the neck alot. Definately repairable!
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

Just a quick update. I talked with the guy that responded to my email from FMIC and I really didn't like what he had to say. He's insisting that it go to a factory service center instead of back to the factory and that this would not be covered under the warranty! I told him that in no uncertain terms will it go to the service center closest to me. He's really making it out to be like I've beat the guitar against something to cause the damage....

On the good side I just came back from seeing my dealer and he's going to contact his rep and try and get the matter resolved. It's funny because I almost bought a USA Fender strat today while I was at the store but didn't because I want to see how this issue is resolved and how the customer support is. If they don't handle this properly I'll have a hard time every buying a FMIC product again!

Comment

Always go through the dealer you bought the guitar from. He is your point of contact with JCMI. Fender probably doesn't even know about the Charvel clearcoat issue. They are the parent company and all they know is what their policy is. Talking to them is a waste of time. This is why it's critical to choose your dealer carefully when you buy a Jackson or Charvel. You want someone who will go to bat for you if problems arise.

Comment

Working...
                              X