Fretboard Radius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard Radius?

Can any of you guys tell me wat the fretboard radius of the most Charvels made in the early days. Or even the Radius of the newer "standards" that were made a few years ago.

Thanks,
    Leardriver

The early price lists & spec sheets say "16 inch radius at nut", at least through '84. I think they are mainly referring to the pointy headstock necks. Most people say the early stratheads had 12" radius fretboards. Not sure when J/C started using compound radius fretboards or if any of the later San Dimas Charvels had them, but the newer Charvels have the 12" - 16" compound radius.

Comment

16" at the nut? Wow that's awfully flat up there.

Comment

I have an ad that I think said 10" for the parts necks back from the wayne days.

Comment

Hmmm. Thanks guys. I am contemplating a custom order and am trying to figure out what would be the perfect balance for everything and one of the best necks I ever played was an old Charvel prepro (it is actually in the gallery). Thanks again.

PaulP

Comment

they were originally all custom to the order.
            in the mid to late 80's the standard for charvel became the compound 12"-16".
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Hey...
              The Jackson DKMG necks are using 14"-16" !!!
              Pretty flat near the nut....tires the wrist out if you are chording a lot though..
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                16" at the nut? Wow that's awfully flat up there.
                Its the other way around. 12" at the nut and 16" at the 12th fret.
                http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I think he was referring to the early flyers that said 16" at the nut. I think they (the pointies anyway) were a straight 16" radius all the way down the neck before they started using a compound radius. The '81 - '84 pricelist & spec flyers are posted here:

Comment

Hey
                    I was refering to 14 at the nut..
                    But as much as I love the Charvels...anything over 9 1/2 the nut is less comfortable if you do a lot of chording!! (I love shredding...just stiking up for the rythm players!!)
                    By the way...the true solution was the conical radius, a gradual change from nut to body...very comfortable...fast action and virtually no fret-out.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                      The early price lists & spec sheets say "16 inch radius at nut", at least through '84. I think they are mainly referring to the pointy headstock necks. Most people say the early stratheads had 12" radius fretboards. Not sure when J/C started using compound radius fretboards or if any of the later San Dimas Charvels had them, but the newer Charvels have the 12" - 16" compound radius.
                      my '81 has a 12"
                      my pointy had a 16"
                      as far as i know compound radi did not start till much later
                      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

There is an old flyers that said the strat heads were 11" not 10" as I posted before

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                          There is an old flyers that said the strat heads were 11" not 10" as I posted before
                          11" ?
                          MINE IS 12" with a 1-3/4" nut
                          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

I think a lot of these were done by humans and as humans are not perfect, neither are the radius.

I have a 1996 Les Paul Classic with a 9 1/2" radius even though Gibson states they use a 12".

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              I think a lot of these were done by humans and as humans are not perfect, neither are the radius.

I have a 1996 Les Paul Classic with a 9 1/2" radius even though Gibson states they use a 12".
                              wow a 9 1/2 on a LP!

Comment

Working...
                              X