Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a "rosewood/ebony guy" like the maple board on the 08 Charvel Production Models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a "rosewood/ebony guy" like the maple board on the 08 Charvel Production Models

I've always liked rosewood or ebony fretboards mostly for the feel as opposed to the sound. The first guitar I ever had was Univox strat copy with a maple board, but other than that my maple experience is limited to mexican strats. I like rosewood/ebony because they are not "sticky" when I bend the strings, which I do a lot. I remember the maple board as being very sticky.

The new Charvel Production Models look great and I am very tempted to pre-order one. But I am concerned about the whole fretboard stickiness thing. Are higher quality maple boards like the ones that will be on the new Charvel models smoother than the ones on Mexican strats?

Anybody ever made the switch from rosewood/ebony to maple and if so, what were the main reasons?

Of course I could wait until these models become available in local stores and try them out, but in another post it was stated that GC wouldn't carry them, so I may be out of luck to try before I buy.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave

Fender Strats have a clear, high gloss coat on their boards that can get sticky. The Charvel necks have just an oil finish and feel great, real smooth.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm an ebony guy (that's my fav).
      But, most of my guitars are rosewood.
      The few that I have that are maple, I really dig.

OK, so I'm easy.
      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
      --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
        I'm an ebony guy
        Do you mind if we start calling you "Willie?"
        "POOP"

Comment

Oh my
          LOL
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

Variety is the spice of life.

Comment

Like toejam said the Charvels have just an oil finish which is not sticky. Plus the Charvels have bigger frets so you won't touch the fretboard very much anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                Like toejam said the Charvels have just an oil finish which is not sticky. Plus the Charvels have bigger frets so you won't touch the fretboard very much anyway.
                Sounds good. Makes sense on the bigger frets as well. The only problem is now I will have to buy several maple fretboard guitars. Argggggggggg the darned GAS!

Dave
                Dave

Comment

I am a big fan of ebony, have been for a long time, and have a number of charvels (old and new) with ebony boards. That said, I have more recently gotten charvels with maple fret boards (on both old and new) and must say I cant put them down. Nothing like anything fender traditionally has put out and as was noted, the oiled (non-cleared) necks, bigger frets and neck shape make for real comfy playing IMHO (truth be told, even the real old charvels (like say '82) with smaller frets still play like glass with a maple board as 9 times out of 1o they are so broken in, they almost play themselves).
                  "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                    +1

I have a MIM strat with vintage frets and hate it.

I used to have a 1972 Gibson Custom LP "fretless wonder" and hated it for the same reason - low frets. And this had an ebony fretboard.

I think fret height is really important for keeping things smooth.

Comment

Fret height does play an important role in how much (if any) fretboard drag you get.

And yes, cheapo maple boards like the Univox had a thick clearcoat. I didn't find the MIM Strats I've had to be sticky.

My fingers stick more to my LP Standard than anything. Probably low frets.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Intersting. I cant speak to the cleared stuff as I have not owned a guitar with a cleared maple board in more than 20 years, but I will say from personal experience that a guitar with medium frets (read: low frets - this was what charvel put on the early guitars) and a well broken in maple board will play with very minimal drag. Might mean you have to do some small amount of cleaning to the fret board every now and again (and we are talking years in between if at all). Small price to pay.
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

I think you'll be fine. I feel your pain re: smaller frets & clear. Love my Pacer Special, but some days it's smooth as can be, others I'm skipping along the frets, stuttering all the way. Must be humidity, or level of moisture on my hands. With ebony I don't have that problem, and I also don't have that problem with my American Standard Stratocaster, which has a matte/silk or whatever the hell it's called finish on the neck.

Comment

I am buying one of these(candy red style 1) but before i do can anyone tell me the thickness of the necks (front to back) ?
                            I own a '81 two bucker san dimas original that has a neck that is PERFECT!
                            it is so thin it is like playing on air!
                            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Now that I've had the So Cal for a while I'm happy to report that the fretboard is nice and smooth. I really don't notice any kind of drag given the size of the frets and the smooth unfinished fretboard.

Definitely the maple fretboard gives a different sound and it's nice to have the diversity.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X