Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you trade a "Speed Neck" for color choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dg View Post
    The recent Charvel pointy specs were the same as a DK1: .750" at the 3rd fret, .810" at the 12th, which is actually thinner than the speed neck specs (.775 at 3rd, .835" at 12th). The strathead specs that were posted in one of the pricelists a couple years ago were .735" at the 3rd, .850" at the 12th, which is only .015" thicker at the 12th than speed neck spec. If these CNC production necks are similar to the custom strathead specs, they should be plenty thin for somebody used to playing a KV2 or whatever, but it will be a different feeling neck for a lot of reasons.
    Hey, thanks for the numbers man, I guess they are not that different at all. I'm definitly looking forward to trying one out.
    Last edited by tanpsi; 06-24-2008, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
      The strathead is not anywhere near as thin at the 3rd as what the specs said. It's fuller there than the pointy.
      Oops! I guess I spoke too soon, well I'm still really looking forward to trying one!

Comment

I'm sorry, this "speed neck" stuff is stupid.

the speed or lack of it is in your left hand fingers.

if you want a super thin neck then buy an Ibanez or to a lesser degree, a Model series Charvel import from the 80's.

the other thing that is stupid is suggesting production changes on guitars that are already in production with stated and probably very firm parameters for options/colors and are finally priced sensibly.
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post

if you want a super thin neck then buy an Ibanez or to a lesser degree, a Model series Charvel import from the 80's.

the other thing that is stupid is suggesting production changes on guitars that are already in production with stated and probably very firm parameters for options/colors and are finally priced sensibly.
          Well, for me it's a matter of comfort, I can shred on a baseball bat neck SG!!! but, like you suggest the most comfortable necks for me are 80's Jackson/Charvel imports shape.

I also know that different people like differerent neck profiles, so I'm in no way saying one profile is better than the other.

Gibson offers 2 different profiles for Les Pauls, so to me it's a pretty practical option!

Comment

I really dont consider it a "speed" neck but a comfortable onethat fits my hand like a friggin glove
            all i want is a neck like the one on my '81 san dimas
            but so far i have not found anything like it
            If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

I prefer the "regular" necks myself. Since a speed neck is thinner therefore probably less wood therefore it should really be called an economy neck. Hmm, I wonder how many here would want it if it was called an economy neck intead of speed neck?
              Rudy
              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
                Gibson offers 2 different profiles for Les Pauls, so to me it's a pretty practical option!
                right, and those are $2500, and the new Charvies are $999 and being built as economically as possible with still producing a good product. see the analogy?
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

+
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I don't understand the whole speed neck thing either..to me it's a bit emperor's new clothes. you can either play fast or you can't..the neck ain't gonna make much difference!

And before any of you chime in with "but it's more comfortable"..just let me get my fuck off out there first!

Comment

I prefer a 1-11/16 or 1-3/4 neck. Skinny necks and fat fingers do not go well together.
                      You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
                      You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
                      --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
                      --horns666 - 12/29/08
                      I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
                      --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

right, and those are $2500, and the new Charvies are $999 and being built as economically as possible with still producing a good product. see the analogy?
                        True, and 2 different neck profiles would probably add more cost than different paint, I don't know the economies of guitar making

It's just an option I would be interested in, and I wanted to see if other people would too, and start a landslide demand for a thin neck option!

Obviously I failed!

Comment

Originally posted by joelayres View Post
                          I prefer a 1-11/16 or 1-3/4 neck. Skinny necks and fat fingers do not go well together.
                          The nut width has nothing to do with how skinny or thick a neck is. We're talking neck profile here (the backshape of the neck).
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm shocked at how lopsided the voting has been thus far
                            RIP Erika Nicole 1/09/88--7/05/08

http://indiemusicworks.com/Axe/
                            http://www.myspace.com/axe57

Comment

I think it's the way I phrased it, I'll see if I can change it, I guess I can't, but what I meant was trade the special colors for the option of a thinner neck profile so you could get the Standard neck profile like on the last USAs or a "Super Thin Comfort" neck profile ("Speed Neck" ticks people off, I guess) in any color you want as long as it was black, and in my fantasy world the price would stay the same!
                              Last edited by tanpsi; 06-25-2008, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gartron View Post
                                And before any of you chime in with "but it's more comfortable"..just let me get my fuck off out there first!

Hey why are you so cranky? the sheep too quick for you this spring out in Scotland?

Comment

Working...
                                X