No announcement yet.

Anyone have any sources for buying a '81 or '82

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm honest, too. But I don't really buy or sell anymore so I digress...

I have bought a lot of original San Dimas Charvel guitars from a lot of honest people.

Let's not make it out like one can not buy an original San Dimas Charvel guitar and be confident about the purchase.

Does one need to be educated? Yes.

Are there plenty of resources and people willing to provide second opinions and assistance? Yes.

Is it risky buying *any* brand of guitar with some degree of collectibility and considered an appreciating asset? Yes.

Is there historical data, photographs, and research collected, analyzed and shared by collectors for all to see and use for verifying guitars? Yes.

When I have sold guitars in the past I have provided approval periods to ensure the guitar's acceptance. When I have bought guitars in the past I have asked for the same to avoid issues.

A few guitars I have bought had issues surface from previous owners or information that surfaced after the fact. (ex. "Hey I bought that guitar new and it originally came with xyz" or "I modded it and this guy did the work," etc.) This is a risk we deal with and that risk is NOT exclusive to Charvel guitars.

I would submit to you that it is safer buying Charvel guitars now than it was 15 years ago. There is so much more information and knowledge being shared that was previously non-existant. The network of Charvel enthusiasts also creates an environment where so much discussion and analysis over a Charvel for sale instantly creates a source of discovery for any potential buyer to use.

Forgery of original Charvel guitars started as soon as the orignials stopped being produced in the mid-80s. We've all seen fab fakes that predated any of the websites and discussion forums. Collectors were calling the factory for verification long before the web! What is important to understand (and leverage) is the information, evidence, artifacts, and knowledge now available.

A question to ask yourself is why are you buying the guitar? For future profit or for use and performance? If an individual is looking to buy for investment, he/she will hopefully do due diligence on the guitar and make an informed decision. If the guitar is going to be used, possibly modified or damaged through its use...well, that is a different decision tree.

Sh*t...did I just ask the "Are you a player or collector?" question! Doh!

Bret
    www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Originally posted by slo100 View Post
      I'm honest, too. But I don't really buy or sell anymore so I digress...

I have bought a lot of original San Dimas Charvel guitars from a lot of honest people.

Let's not make it out like one can not buy an original San Dimas Charvel guitar and be confident about the purchase.

Does one need to be educated? Yes.

Are there plenty of resources and people willing to provide second opinions and assistance? Yes.

Is it risky buying *any* brand of guitar with some degree of collectibility and considered an appreciating asset? Yes.

Is there historical data, photographs, and research collected, analyzed and shared by collectors for all to see and use for verifying guitars? Yes.

When I have sold guitars in the past I have provided approval periods to ensure the guitar's acceptance. When I have bought guitars in the past I have asked for the same to avoid issues.

A few guitars I have bought had issues surface from previous owners or information that surfaced after the fact. (ex. "Hey I bought that guitar new and it originally came with xyz" or "I modded it and this guy did the work," etc.) This is a risk we deal with and that risk is NOT exclusive to Charvel guitars.

I would submit to you that it is safer buying Charvel guitars now than it was 15 years ago. There is so much more information and knowledge being shared that was previously non-existant. The network of Charvel enthusiasts also creates an environment where so much discussion and analysis over a Charvel for sale instantly creates a source of discovery for any potential buyer to use.

Forgery of original Charvel guitars started as soon as the orignials stopped being produced in the mid-80s. We've all seen fab fakes that predated any of the websites and discussion forums. Collectors were calling the factory for verification long before the web! What is important to understand (and leverage) is the information, evidence, artifacts, and knowledge now available.

A question to ask yourself is why are you buying the guitar? For future profit or for use and performance? If an individual is looking to buy for investment, he/she will hopefully do due diligence on the guitar and make an informed decision. If the guitar is going to be used, possibly modified or damaged through its use...well, that is a different decision tree.

Sh*t...did I just ask the "Are you a player or collector?" question! Doh!

Bret
      well to completely honest i am not a collector, the '81 or '82 would be for playing and not re-sale in the future.
      My 81' just seems to have a certain mojo that i cannot find in any newer guitar and i wannted another
      now am i saying that a grover legacy or even the newer custom shops wont have that mojo? NO but i dont think they will be a exact '81 feel
      SLO, the '81 i own was bought new back in 81 at zapf's in philly
      it was a custom order for somebody(mike berardi) who changed thier mind before the guitar ever even came in the store.
      the head salesman there told me that he had a new 1981 charvel strat
      he knew i was looking for a snow white one wit two buckers
      anyway needless to say i played it for about a minute and was in instant love with it!
      cost me a mere gibson explorer II and very little cash!
      anyway would love to own a companion to this '81 but if not
      will check into the grover legacy
      Last edited by savage; 06-30-2008, 07:52 AM.
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

In that case I think you are in the best of all positions because you can cast a wider net for something that will meet your requirements without worrying about 100% authenticity in terms of all the right parts, pieces, and paint.

There are more of these guitars for sale than people realize. Unfortunately, due to the fractal nature of the Charvel community, you'll need to join and participate in at least three distinct discussion forums (including this one) to meet everyone and see what's happening and what guitars are moving. My understanding is that all of them are great and you'll surely be warmly welcomed in each (if you have not already).

Good luck and let us know what you dig up!
        Bret
        www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Originally posted by slo100 View Post
          In that case I think you are in the best of all positions because you can cast a wider net for something that will meet your requirements without worrying about 100% authenticity in terms of all the right parts, pieces, and paint.

There are more of these guitars for sale than people realize. Unfortunately, due to the fractal nature of the Charvel community, you'll need to join and participate in at least three distinct discussion forums (including this one) to meet everyone and see what's happening and what guitars are moving. My understanding is that all of them are great and you'll surely be warmly welcomed in each (if you have not already).

Good luck and let us know what you dig up!
          Bret
          hey thanks BRET, you helped a lot with this
          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

I'd get in touch w/ Trace (gtrbuyer). Also,you can email MZ and tell them what your looking for.
            If not,I'd build your own to the exact specs of the orignal,for 1/2 the price of an 81.

I went thru almost the samething,except my old friend was an 86 Jackson.I was able to find another 86 just like my old friend but candy red,instead of gunmetal grey.An exact clone if you will,but my new friend has matching headstock.
            Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
              I'd get in touch w/ Trace (gtrbuyer). Also,you can email MZ and tell them what your looking for.
              If not,I'd build your own to the exact specs of the orignal,for 1/2 the price of an 81.

I went thru almost the samething,except my old friend was an 86 Jackson.I was able to find another 86 just like my old friend but candy red,instead of gunmetal grey.An exact clone if you will,but my new friend has matching headstock.
              cool you got lucky huh?
              if i go with the BYO idea who makes the most authenic parts?
              musikraft?

Comment

Mojo bodies
                Musikraft neck
                V-Trem or Floyd?

ps:I believe an 81 had square jack plate right?
                Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
                  Mojo bodies
                  Musikraft neck
                  V-Trem or Floyd?

ps:I believe an 81 had square jack plate right?
                  V trem and the my '81 has a oval jackplate
                  Last edited by savage; 06-30-2008, 11:22 AM.

Comment

FYI - if you are looking for a thinner profile and want some modern amenities like larger frets, I would recomend looking for a used GMW from the '01-'03 time frame. If you have a thicker profile neck you are looking to replicate, then I would say custom (from say musikraft) is the easist way.

I am particular about my guitars and a pair of GMWs have served me well. The originals I have (which are 22 fret s-heads with either floyds or kalhers) were a labor of love to locate (it took years) and were not cheap.
                    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
                      FYI - if you are looking for a thinner profile and want some modern amenities like larger frets, I would recomend looking for a used GMW from the '01-'03 time frame. If you have a thicker profile neck you are looking to replicate, then I would say custom (from say musikraft) is the easist way.

I am particular about my guitars and a pair of GMWs have served me well. The originals I have (which are 22 fret s-heads with either floyds or kalhers) were a labor of love to locate (it took years) and were not cheap.
                      well see the the thing is my charvie was custom ordered and has a REAL THIN profile,medium frets,high gloss finish
                      I hate to use this as a example but the profile is only slightly thicker than a ibanez wizard(17mm at the 1st fret-19 at the 12th)
                      what i like about it is that that unlike the wizard the san dimas neck stays more uniform along the length of the neck thickness wise?
                      is this common among '81's

Comment

I have an '82 with that same basic profile and to be honest, I have not played another newer made guitar that feels anything like it at all (nuthing even close - not bashing the newer charvels, just telling it like it is, I have, on the other hand, played several old ones which have this profile - particularly combined with a 1 3/4 or 1 11/16 in. nut). For example, the new charvels I have played are closer to the '85 and '86 s-heads that I have, by which time they seem to have somewhat standardized specs (which is cool by me - GMW seems to have copied this profile, for example). I have another '82 with a thicker profile which I also love, and it is also tough to find anything like it (except older ones).

Your best bet may be to take careful measurements and then have someone repro a neck to spec. I understand that several companies out there will do this for you (but I have not had this done so I cannot recomend anything). Another option would be to have Charvel do it, which would be cool, but be prepared to wait and pay for it $$$$.
                        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
                        X