No announcement yet.

So-Cal Knob Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pots used in the Socals are CTS, which means they are a solid 1/4" shaft. The regular knobs we all probably have an abundance of only need to be drilled out a very little bit, using a 1/4" drill bit. Then youll just need to take the set screw out, and flatten out the point of it with a file. No machining skills needed!
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

That happened to me,I tried to drill out the knob and if it's not drilled perfect,will wobble.(as in tight but when rotating out of round)
      I ended up calling a Big Charvel Dealer and asked them to order me one,(Charvel Brass Knob)they did $10.00 w/shipping.
      However,IIRC Stu-Mac has ones for larger shafts I think I read that on their site.
      I had to have a real-deal Charvel though for my Blk Cherry SD.That's just me.
      Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

The dome knobs from Stew Mac fit just fine.
        "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
        I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

I sometimes forget that not everyone has a machine shop they can play in at work.
          "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
          --floydkramer

Comment

MikeStrat's right ... you can get 1/4" shaft knobs at Stewmac.com. They fit fine. It's not just the knobs. The bezels are flat black as well as the pickguard on the So-Cal's (I think). I think if they were available, they would have used flat black tuners, strap buttons, floyds, etc. I believe the idea is to have these guitars look somewhat industrial. I just replaced the bezels and the knobs on mine with shiny ones.
            My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Flat black can be sexy. And for us fat-guys, it's 'slimming'.....I guess.

"Honey. Does this guitar make me look fat?

"Um. No. Not the guitar. Vision does!"
              Last edited by GuerillaPete; 02-21-2009, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Jesus guys, It's just a knob. I like it because it has grip and can be moved fast - exactly what it's supposed to do.
                Ratt & Roll

Comment

I love to touch my knob - even if it is bumpy.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

If you have a bumpy knob, you need to see a doctor.
                    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Purpose of the knob is: It's a training tool. What you do is play a long time. Then you will develop calluses on the thumb and index finger of your picking hand. From that you can play Like Jeff Beck with thumb and index finger. Took me awhile to figure that out
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Someone, please post a close-up of the knob(s), thx.

Comment

I thought this was explained somewhere by a charvel employee. The stock cts pots are "tight" on purpose so they are not easily moved by accidentally brushing over them. the knob has the extra grip to make it easier to turn the pot when you want to. So the knobs do serve a special purpose.

Comment

I can agree with the Cts pot being tight, really tight. Still though, I swapped out the knob for a regular black knob, and it's still not bad to turn... The tractor tire stock knob was just a little to rough for my likes
                            Don

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Lawyer View Post
                              Someone, please post a close-up of the knob(s), thx.
                              Here ya go
                              Don

Comment

The knob thread lives!!!
                                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                                --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                                X