No announcement yet.

Usa Productions How do you like them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be waiting for one of you with a gold tele to decide it's not a keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
      How are they versus a guitar like the DK2 or DKMG?
      I have a DK2S, so I can compare to that. Although there are similarities ... both are quite different.

DK2 has a flatter radius (14-16) vs the 12-16 on the Charvel. To me the Charvel has a more comfy neck to do chords/rhythm because of that. The Dk2 with rosewood is not as bright as the So Cal (not necessarily a negative ... just different). The So Cal is more "spanky" and also louder ... more growl ... lots of reasons for this but I think the major one is the maple fretboard. At this point, I'm liking the So Cal more for rhythm and the DK2S and other rosewood guitars better for singing leads.

Also ... DK2 .. finished back of the neck ... So Cal .. unfinished. So ... a different feel. So far, I'd say that So Cal has a "softer" feel when playing and is just, for the lack of a better word, "comfortable".

Despite the nit picks I and others have had with the floyd on the So Cal when compared to a "real" german one, the floyd on the So Cal is much much better than the licensed one on the DK2.

Other differences are mostly cosmetic ... DK2 with pointy, sharkies, flamed maple top, etc. So Cal with strathead, dots, solid colors, etc.

My preference would have been for pointy, dots, solid color and with a rosewood fretboard ... Charvel branded ... perhaps a future custom shop order. Who knows.
      Dave

Comment

The dk's are fine guitars but a very different animal than the USA pro's
        If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

what about a comparison to the charvel model A? Supposed to be to the san dimas strat neck specs and are qtrsawn oiled necks. ( aside from those crappy SD Heavy metal live wires pups).

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
            The dk's are fine guitars but a very different animal than the USA pro's
            How do you mean? Quality-wise? Obviously there are cosmetic/tonal differences.

Basically, is it worth the extra $300 to get the USA guitar?
            Scott

Comment

It's very subjective. Do I think that the Charvel Production Models are worth $300 more than a DK2? Yes.

But by getting a Charvel production model you are not getting a DK2 which is $300 better, you are getting a fairly different guitar which is $300 better.
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
                It's very subjective. Do I think that the Charvel Production Models are worth $300 more than a DK2? Yes.
                Also ... you may want to consider long term resale values. A made in USA guitar will keep its value much better than a MIJ guitar. Mileage may vary ... but I think that is generally true.
                Dave

Comment

IMO yes it is worth the extra if you like the original charvel vibe
                  the dk2 with its bound maple/rosewood board neck and sharkfin inlays has a very different feel than the maple necked strat style USA pro's
                  the profiles of the necks are different as well the usa pros is nice and rolled and the DK2 is flatter with a more steep radius.
                  the DK2 feels more like a jackson soloist and the USA pro feels more like 80's san dimas charvel strat
                  now i am assuming you have not played a old san dimas but you must have played at least one great strat right and maybe a soloist?
                  Last edited by savage; 07-31-2008, 04:04 PM.
                  If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    what about a comparison to the charvel model A? Supposed to be to the san dimas strat neck specs and are qtrsawn oiled necks. ( aside from those crappy SD Heavy metal live wires pups).
                    It's been said before, but the San Dimas necks were not consistent. They varied widely in profile, so there is no such thing as "the San Dimas Strathead neck profile". Even the pointyheads varied, but not as much. They were more consistent, but not totally consistent.

That said, I haven't played a Model A, or the SD ReIssues. Someone had a Model A in the Classifieds a while back. Hopefully they'll pick up a new Charvel and compare them before he sells off the Model A.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

It's been said before, but the San Dimas necks were not consistent. They varied widely in profile, so there is no such thing as "the San Dimas Strathead neck profile". Even the pointyheads varied, but not as much. They were more consistent, but not totally consistent.

That said, I haven't played a Model A, or the SD ReIssues. Someone had a Model A in the Classifieds a while back. Hopefully they'll pick up a new Charvel and compare them before he sells off the Model A.
                      I have had 2 model As and I have another one coming( just paid 199++).
                      The first one was very chunky at the nut but the one I just got a month ago I love, so the model As are not consistent either. True to their origins I guess.

Comment

Comment

Awesome,I like it alot.
                          Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

I would think that if you're going to compare them to a DK2, you'd need to do the comparisons with a DK2M. Obviously the bound rosewood regular DK2s would be different.
                            Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread and I gotta ask - what's a "USA pro"?
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
                                My preference would have been for pointy, dots, solid color and with a rosewood fretboard ... Charvel branded
                                funny, that's also what I wanted 21 yrs ago when I bought my new Model 2.
                                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                                X