• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what's a "USA pro"?
    pro=production series
    more pro confusion for ya!

Comment

is that an official designation, or just an abbreviation folks have taken to?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread and I gotta ask - what's a "USA pro"?
        ONE DAMN FINE CHARVEL is what it IS!
        If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
          I have a DK2S, so I can compare to that. Although there are similarities ... both are quite different.

DK2 has a flatter radius (14-16) vs the 12-16 on the Charvel. To me the Charvel has a more comfy neck to do chords/rhythm because of that. The Dk2 with rosewood is not as bright as the So Cal (not necessarily a negative ... just different). The So Cal is more "spanky" and also louder ... more growl ... lots of reasons for this but I think the major one is the maple fretboard. At this point, I'm liking the So Cal more for rhythm and the DK2S and other rosewood guitars better for singing leads.

Also ... DK2 .. finished back of the neck ... So Cal .. unfinished. So ... a different feel. So far, I'd say that So Cal has a "softer" feel when playing and is just, for the lack of a better word, "comfortable".

Despite the nit picks I and others have had with the floyd on the So Cal when compared to a "real" german one, the floyd on the So Cal is much much better than the licensed one on the DK2.

Other differences are mostly cosmetic ... DK2 with pointy, sharkies, flamed maple top, etc. So Cal with strathead, dots, solid colors, etc.

My preference would have been for pointy, dots, solid color and with a rosewood fretboard ... Charvel branded ... perhaps a future custom shop order. Who knows.
          Good info! I used to own a DK2, so I am familiar with that model so this helps me. Thanks

I am curious however to see how diff it is compared to my Model 4s I still have..??

Thanks to all for the replies! Im glad this have measured up and that you are loving them! Hopefully I can sell some pieces to get one of my own to love..
          The knob will have to go!
          What is the trem bar issue as someone mentioned?

Comment

Mine is a keeper aswell... it stands up with my demartini blood drip pretty well (not as well though ) but for the money its killer!

Comment

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
              Mine is a keeper aswell... it stands up with my demartini blood drip pretty well (not as well though ) but for the money its killer!
              This is great praise cuz a Demartini blood drip (or any of Warrens) are killer to me.. Never played one tho... Ive never played one of the high end charvels..

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                I am curious however to see how diff it is compared to my Model 4s I still have..??
                I have a Model 3A. I've never played a Model 4, but I would imagine it's similar to the 3A.

I don't have any specific measurements to throw out there to compare ... but, to me it seems like the USA Production Models have more in common with the Model series neck feel-wize than they do whith the the DK2.

In my opinion, the new USA Production Models have a number of improvements over the model series such as the psuedo OFR, better pickups, compound radius, and unfinished neck ... plus they have that much desired "San Dimas" neck plate, which of course makes it play better.

Also ... the body shape of the Model 3A, and I would guess the Model 4, appears the same as the USA Production Models whereas the DK2 has the smaller dinky, less rounded body shape.
                Last edited by DHardmanJr; 08-02-2008, 10:55 AM.
                Dave

Comment

Well I don't know if this has been discussed but what serial numbers did everyone get?
                  I put mine in layaway today. Red 2H W/ knob of death.LOL
                  Mine is 8339 no 00xxxx type number like I've seen on the other new production models.
                  Mine has the Grovers like the new ones but has some flame all over the neck anyone else get a flamey neck?
                  I was told mine came from the rep's private stash.Could be who knows.
                  I've seen the new ones in the 001500 range so I figured they started a new run of serial numbers.
                  So maybe I ended up with late older model that was left over.
                  Its got me wondering.
                  Last edited by straycat; 08-03-2008, 01:42 PM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Interesting note on the serial number, straycat. Mine are 001193 and 001235. Looks like you got a leftover plate.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I may have got a leftover higher priced Charvie that never sold.I will have to pull the neck and check the neck pocket.
                      Side note the new ones I looked at the floyds did look dull as compared to the older guitars.Mine is very glossy like the old floyds.
                      Are there any markings on the new floyds that is different than the old ones?
                      I may have an odd bird here.
                      I can't wait to get it home its a killer player.
                      BTW if anyone has pics of the new neck pocket and neck heel post them so I can compare mine.Can't have too much info.

Comment

Look for the Made In Germany stamp. So far that's the biggest visible difference between the two Floyds.

Someone posted a thread where they took a Style 1 apart. Had pics of the pocket and heel.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

OK Thanks

Comment

Still on the fence about mine.. But for other reasons.. What little time I've had with it, it seems like a decent enough instrument...
                            RIP Erika Nicole 1/09/88--7/05/08

http://indiemusicworks.com/Axe/
                            http://www.myspace.com/axe57

Comment

Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
                              I have a Model 3A. I've never played a Model 4, but I would imagine it's similar to the 3A.

I don't have any specific measurements to throw out there to compare ... but, to me it seems like the USA Production Models have more in common with the Model series neck feel-wize than they do whith the the DK2.

In my opinion, the new USA Production Models have a number of improvements over the model series such as the psuedo OFR, better pickups, compound radius, and unfinished neck ... plus they have that much desired "San Dimas" neck plate, which of course makes it play better.

Also ... the body shape of the Model 3A, and I would guess the Model 4, appears the same as the USA Production Models whereas the DK2 has the smaller dinky, less rounded body shape.
                              Oh yeah, its that magic neck plate that gives all the mojo...
                              But the unfinished neck and compound board are what are tripping my trigger

Comment

So far I am happy with my Socal... The neck could use a little playing time to get a little more worn in feeling, but I expected that being a new guitar...All in all, I'm happy... I feel I got what I was expecting for the money

Comment

Working...
                                X