Official Charvel USA Production model designations thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim View Post
    I really can't believe that this actually needs to be discussed and the guitars have to be designated an abbreviation.

That said, why not USP's? Then just add "S1", "S2", "SC" etc on the end.
    SDS1,SDS2,So-Cal
    those name referals are just fine by me
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
      SDS1,SDS2,So-Cal
      I'm ok with it. Any objections?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Sounds good ... what about the name for the overall series so that we don't have the "pro" designation confusion?
        Dave

Comment

2 of the 3 are named."So-Cal" & "Tele" then just list the color. As far as the only one left."SD Style 1"
          I call them overall "The Production Series",just like I still call my Guitars "Bolt-ons",works for me.
          Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
            SDS1,SDS2,So-Cal
            Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
            Sounds good ... what about the name for the overall series so that we don't have the "pro" designation confusion?
            well, now that you 3 have come to a consensus, how are you planning to get this information out to the rest of the world? Big budget advertising campaign? Vigilantly cruising the internet and correcting posters as they use the wrong designation? Emailing online stores & ebay sellers if they don't use the new names in their advertising?
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Yep. You're elected to do just that

Like anything worthwhile, it's going to take time. At least we'll have a response to someone calling them "USA Pros" or some other "disaster-waiting-to-happen" name.

I vote USA Series for the overall production run. It can't be confused with the San Dimas models (except by those who were not aware of the current run, and that's easily corrected), or any of the other Limited/Custom runs.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
                2 of the 3 are named."So-Cal" & "Tele" then just list the color. As far as the only one left."SD Style 1"
                I call them overall "The Production Series",just like I still call my Guitars "Bolt-ons",works for me.
                The problem with that is there's no such thing as a "Charvel Tele". That's a Fender model. I mean, you don't see a Buick Mustang or a Ford Corvette, right?

Comment

I vote USA Series for the overall production run.
                  USA Series sounds good.
                  Dave

Comment

The problem with that is there's no such thing as a "Charvel Tele". That's a Fender model. I mean, you don't see a Buick Mustang or a Ford Corvette, right?
                    That is a real bad example. If it is what it is, why do we need to rename it? I am ADR on this one. "The Production Series"
                    Just one more guitar!

Comment

you do see Ford Capris though, I believe they were Mercuries your side of the pond? Our Holden Monaro became your Pontiac GTO too. But I digress
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Those names sound good to me also. It will take time to get the word out, but there's plenty of us on here to do just that, and it's still early enough to get a good jump start on it. Also this thread has a fair amount of traffic even though it doesn't have the replies to back it up.

This is a very smart thing you guys have suggested to do, and it will save some confusion down the road.
                        Once we reach a concensus, the dealers on here can also advertise them as such, or atleast 'name drop' the nick names every chance they get. It will take time, but it's off to a good start.
                        And of course there will always be people who just don't get it, we'll just have to politely correct them.

Good work guys!!
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven
                        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          you do see Ford Capris though, I believe they were Mercuries your side of the pond? Our Holden Monaro became your Pontiac GTO too. But I digress
                          Capris? Those long skinny cigarettes or the calf-high women's pants?

We've had the Mercury since about the 1940s, I believe. It was actually made under the Lincoln brand. Though a subsidiary of Ford, it was a separate division, much like Gretsch, Jackson, Guild, etc.

The fact remains you do not see Chevy making the Mustang, nor Ford making the Corvette, so you cannot honestly claim "Charvel Tele" is legit.
                          Unless, of course, there's a license sticker on the back of the SDS2 body to go with the one on the back of the head?

Comment

Whatever, All I know is that that model will always be synonymous w/"Tele",Call it what you want.
                            example:In local music store talking about the new Charvels,I'm the salesman and discussing the new models.
                            I could ask to a novice/beginner: "What model do you want to check out"? San Dimas Style 1 2H,or the San Dimas Style 2 2H,or the San Dimas Style 2 So-Cal?
                            "WTF" ??? he would reply. Or I could ask: What new Charvel do you want to check out? The 3 are the San Dimas w/no PG,the Tele one and the So-Cal w/PG? Even a novice would be able to decifer this and know exactly what i'm talking about.I would even call the So-Cal a Super Strat or something of that nature.
                            I try and make things simple.I have an 1987 Buick Regal Grand National,I just say "87 GN" or "Buick GN". I also have a Subaru Impreza WRX STi,what a tongue twister.It's called an "STi" for all intents and purposes.
                            I have 6 "Strat bodied" guitars (2 real Fenders 2 Charvels 2 Jacksons),call it what you want. . it's called a Strat (the orignal design) I brought a group shot in to show another fellow guitarist whom play all Gibsons and said:"oh, all Strats"? As in Strat body,not calling them "Fender's."

I refer to them as "So-Cal", "Tele" & "San Dimas" Production Series.

Charvel made this very confusing and just realized: How come the So-Cal is not named "Style 2"? (after it's non PG'd brother Style 1) and the Tele should by "Style 3"?
                            Last edited by ADR; 08-18-2008, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Or you could have a printout of the PDFs hanging on the wall, and point them out to a potential uninformed customer saying "SDS1, SDS2, and SoCal" or to break it down into true-beginner terms of "rear-loaded Strat-style, Tele-style, or pickguarded Strat-style".

The "STi" is in the actual model name given by the company, and that logo is mounted to the body, correct?

Not everyone would know that "GN" stood for Grand National, especially those who are not "car guys".

Comment

Newc:You do have a good point.

Comment

Working...
                                X