Official Charvel USA Production model designations thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Newc View Post
    Capris? Those long skinny cigarettes or the calf-high women's pants?
    the compact convertible. In the late 80s/early 90s, the Ford Capri (as it was known in Australia) was exported to the US and rebadged a Mercury Capri.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

LOL My dad had a Mercury Capri in the late '80s.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Don't believe I'da told that, Joe
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, put the stick away, nothin' wrong with a Ford or Mercury
          To me they are like Jackson/Charvel. (the best)
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven
          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Ford make good trucks, but can't make a good car.
            By the same token, Chevy make better cars than Ford, but can't make a good truck
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Fair enough, atleast you admit to 50% of it

Back on topic... How are you making out with the Names anyway? Are the online Dealers going to use the nicknames to describe the guitars? Either way, once we get something that we all agree on that is not too confusing to us, we can strart spreading the word. And like others have stated, we already do have a jump start on it, cause it took 10+ years to nickname the SanD's,Model's,USA,etc...
              Hopefully it spreads fast once word gets out. And ofcourse, we'll still have a select few who no matter how many times they are corrected they still don't realize.
              And the bad part is that those people are the ones that spread the wrong info to others that are in the unknown.

Another + is that we have quite a few threads with the specs and difference between the new ones that atleast we are now educated on them and know what to look for in the future.
              Anyway, great job Newc, keep up the good work
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven

Comment

Don't believe I'da told that, Joe
                I know! :ROTF: It was actually a pretty decent car, even came with an Alpine CD player (I'm guessing somebody did this aftermarket) which somebody then eventually smashed the window and stole it.

Comment

By the same token, Chevy make better cars than Ford, but can't make a good truck
                  Actually, I just heard a magazine call the Cobalt the worst car in 20 years :ROTF:

Comment

As long as we're off topic ... I test drove a Ford Fusion with the 6 cylinder engine and it was pretty nice driving car. I think all american makers are hit and miss across their vehicles. Some cars are just as good as thier foreign competition (at the same price point). Some are just repair work waiting to happen.
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                      Fair enough, atleast you admit to 50% of it

Back on topic... How are you making out with the Names anyway? Are the online Dealers going to use the nicknames to describe the guitars? Either way, once we get something that we all agree on that is not too confusing to us, we can strart spreading the word. And like others have stated, we already do have a jump start on it, cause it took 10+ years to nickname the SanD's,Model's,USA,etc...
                      Hopefully it spreads fast once word gets out. And ofcourse, we'll still have a select few who no matter how many times they are corrected they still don't realize.
                      And the bad part is that those people are the ones that spread the wrong info to others that are in the unknown.

Another + is that we have quite a few threads with the specs and difference between the new ones that atleast we are now educated on them and know what to look for in the future.
                      Anyway, great job Newc, keep up the good work

VitaminG has elected to go tell it on the mountain

Seriously, most dealers will go by the company-designated model names. What we've done here is prepare for the inevitable "average Joe" or second-hand seller who will not take the time to speak or type out "Charvel USA San Dimas Style x 2H" when referring to these, and to prevent (hopefully) the inadvertant spread of misinformation (i.e. "USA Pro").
                      Last edited by Newc; 08-19-2008, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        LOL My dad had a Mercury Capri in the late '80s.
                        so your dad's a hairdresser?
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

I disagree (how many times have I said that to Newc over the years? )

I'm driving one of these (this one isn't mine though):

2007 Ford Falcon XR6. great car. 190kw 4.0L six. ABS, EBD, traction control, electric everything, sports suspension. Fuel economy of a Mazda 6 (thanks in part to the intelligence of the German 6-speed ZF transmission) with a butt-load more power. I have no complaints with Ford's current models.

The Ford Focus is a little firecracker too, if you dig compacts.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                            so your dad's a hairdresser?
                            LOL Actually, he did have a haircutting license and was a part-time hairdresser for a little bit! :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                              I disagree (how many times have I said that to Newc over the years? )

I'm driving one of these (this one isn't mine though):

2007 Ford Falcon XR6. great car. 190kw 4.0L six. ABS, EBD, traction control, electric everything, sports suspension. Fuel economy of a Mazda 6 (thanks in part to the intelligence of the German 6-speed ZF transmission) with a butt-load more power. I have no complaints with Ford's current models.

The Ford Focus is a little firecracker too, if you dig compacts.
                              Awesome car VitaminG!!! So it's a V6 w/ a 6 speed? I bet that runs pretty good. What kind of gas mileage does it get? Been looking for a newer car, and this is pretty classy for a 4 door. If you don't mind me asking, how much was it? Was '07 the first year for this? Are they currently in production?

And ToeJam, isn't that uncanny about the hairdresser comment? I bet they say that they wouldn't have admitted that either
                              Your Dad's a hair dresser and your brother is Chuck Norris.
                              'Howling in shadows
                              Living in a lunar spell
                              He finds his heaven

Comment

Our Ford Taurus was nice until the case of the transmission split open. How in the hell does that happen when your car is sitting there and you don't hit anything? Our mechanic thought it was the dumbest thing he ever heard of. Up until then, Dad favored Ford's In the 80s he had a '74 Gran Turino Sport with the big, interceptor engine and giant late 70s Lincoln. Also had a Mercury Bobcat at the time, which was the explosive predecessor to the Capri.

Of course, our Pontiac's interior woes were almost as bad as the Ford's transmission. Any American car anymore has awful interiors. Really glad we walked on the Torrent... I think the Falcon is a restyled, Aussie market Fusion (formerly Taurus until Ford got their names all confusing). Maybe a little more rugged than the domestic Fusion.

Btw VG, does it have a manual mode on the Transmission? Our Mitsubishi has a 235hp VVT engine w/ a 6 speed "Sportronic" (manu-matic, semi-auto, whatever you want to call it) that can be driven as a normal auto, or as a clutchless manual and it is just too cool. It also has the adjusting shift points. Gets good MPGs at 24-26. Not bad for an SUV!

EDIT: Also had a 50's Mercury Hot Rod back in the 60s, and the "Guam Bomb" back at Andersen AFB then was a Mercury as well.
                                Last edited by CharvelRocker; 08-20-2008, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X