How are you guys liking the tone zone in the So Cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you guys liking the tone zone in the So Cal

I like the Jb in my SDS1 and was wondering if maybe the TZ is a better choice?
    Since these newer charvels have a alder body,all maple neck,floyd and are kind of bright sounding, the JB can be a bit TOO trebly/bright
    whats your verdict on the TZ in alder?
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

I've got a Tone Zone in my '96 Bengal Charvel and, like all my other guitar with a Tone Zone, I love it. BTW, my '96 has a maple board and OFR too.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
      I've got a Tone Zone in my '96 Bengal Charvel and, like all my other guitar with a Tone Zone, I love it. BTW, my '96 has a maple board and OFR too.
      matt have you also tried the JB in that same guitar?
      what improvement(s) did the TZ bring
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

i have used tz in all of my previous guitars-the tone zone has a fuller bass response and does not get that treble bite that the jb tends to have. I had a jb in a yammaha aes series and it was just too bright sounding for my tastes.

Comment

I've had a JB in the bridge of several different guitars - alder-bodied, mahogany, bolt-on, neckthrough, maple boards, ebony boards, rosewood boards - and have not found one combination I like.

I do like them in the neck position of those, but not the bridge. Sounds like it's gasping for air.

I do like the TZ in my SoCals - Dave Murray tone achieved
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by savage View Post
            matt have you also tried the JB in that same guitar?
            what improvement(s) did the TZ bring
            No, that guitar had a Duncan Distortion but I did once swap out a JB for a Tone Zone in a similar guitar.

While tone improvement are always suggestive, I always gravitate towards Tone Zones because they have a fat, full sound. I love the tonal curve. They also clean up nice too. I've been using them since they first came out in '91 and except for very specific tones (e.g vintage Les Paul), I always put a Tone Zone in the bridge position of my guitars.
            Last edited by Matt_B; 08-02-2008, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I hate both

Comment

I am liking the TZ in my SoCal. first DiMarzio for me so I'm no one to judge.

so far it's sounding great.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
                  I hate both
                  thanks for sharing that care to tell what pup you do like then?

Comment

DiMarzio > Duncan
                    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I played a show with mine last night, and I love it. the TZ is really focused and responds very well to picking dynamics. plus I can squeal on it a lot better than my SD-equipped guitars for some reason. the harmonics just jump off the thing.

Comment

In an Alder body..... TB-14 sounds great, but I would have put a DeMartini in it!
                        Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

I'm finding the DiMarzios to sound more like single-coils compared to Duncans and Gibsons. I had to check the wiring of my SoCals to see if they wired it up for humbucking or split

They have a more raspy tone compared to the smoother tones of Duncans or Gibson humbuckers.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            I'm finding the DiMarzios to sound more like single-coils compared to Duncans and Gibsons. I had to check the wiring of my SoCals to see if they wired it up for humbucking or split

They have a more raspy tone compared to the smoother tones of Duncans or Gibson humbuckers.
                            that may be true in a home setting, or just playing by yourself, but I found the other night at our gig that they sound great in a loud band mix, which is what I'm aiming for.

everyone said how great I sounded with the new guitar. half inspiration, half TZ?

Comment

I do agree with you Newc, that on certain settings they sound distinctly more strattish than my SD bridge pickups (JB, Custom, Lil59). I liked it.

Comment

Working...
                              X