So-Cal replacement pickguard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So-Cal replacement pickguard

Anybody here who owns a So-Cal and replaced the pickguard? From where did you get your pickguard? I consider replacing mine to get another pickup configuration. I noticed the Fender ones fit regarding the screw pattern, but the pickup holes are a bit offset.

Try Warmoth - they do their work in house and can do pretty much anything you want.
    You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
    You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
    --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
    --horns666 - 12/29/08
    I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
    --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

WD can do them it's probably best to send a tracing with the screw holes or the original so they can make an exact copy for a perfect fit, not sure if it's a standard fender guard but with the different controls and floyd spacing...

Or you could try warmoth aswell, allthough I dont think they will do anything other than their standard pickguard, someone on here changed their guard maybe you could enquire where they got that one from...

Comment

I wonder if Budman can do theses
        Just one more guitar!

Comment

Pickguardian does excellent work and can make you any pickguard you want.

Comment

I got a black one from Warmoth I'm putting on next week. the screw holes line up and it's a two hum design, seemed to match on a side-by-side comparison. the Charvel flat black pg is wider past the screw holes to the edge than the Fender match from Warmoth - but the 11 screwholes seem to line up.

I had them leave the control area blank, all I need is to drill two holes right where the Charvel controls go and I'm all set. I like where they put the vol and selector on these, hate having the vol too high up near the pickup.

I'll report back next week when I have the thing together. it will be my first Floyd setup (adding a trem spring for 10's, it's already canted toward the front as it is w/ 9's) so wish my sorry ass some luck.
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Warmoth told me they wouldn't do it and referred me to pickguardian. I'd like to hear about how skorb's Warmoth replacement works out as that is likely the least expensive. I've also sent a tracing to WD and am waiting their quote. Also got a quote from pickguardian but they want me to mail in the original. I'll likely settle next week on who I'll be orderring mine from.

Comment

With Pickguardian you don't have to mail them the original pick guard. Just trace it and send that in. I sent them a trace of my original pick guard and told them what pick up configuration I wanted and that was it. Had the new pick guard in about 1 week. Excellent work and customer service.

Comment

good luck skorb!
                  hehe
                  "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                  --floydkramer

Comment

Thanks. I think I will try Pickguardian.

Comment

WD has had my tracing for 3 weeks, and I have another 1.5 weeks to wait. And they are charging 80 bucks.

I should've gone with Pickguardian...

Comment

well the Warmoth pg works, and the holes all line up (but some only about 80% ).

what gave me a little trouble was the Warmoth bridge pg hole was just a bit lower toward the bridge than the Charvel one. and this caused the bottom of the bridge pup to rub against the bottom of the bridge route in the body, but with the pup adjusted high enough, it does not cause a problem.

I think the guitar looks loads better with the gloss 3-ply pg and the classic knob. I had bought this knob from Warmoth along with the pg, but it was too narrow inside to take the 1/4 pot stem - well I was able to drill out the brass insert to 1/4 with little problem, just secured the knob in a vise with a towel around it to prevent damage and drilled that out by hand. works fine, and it has the right drill plane too, so it turns evenly on the center axis.

plus I added a spring to the Floyd and set it up for 10's, my first Floyd work ever, but it was pretty easy. I don't see why people pay to have these set up or changed around. it's canted forward just a bit, which seems to work for me.

Comment

Very nice!
                          "POOP"

Comment

That looks really nice!
                            "Dear Dr. Bill,
                            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

what's also cool is you actually see more of the Candy Tangerine paint since the Charvel pg is wider beyond the screws to the unbeveled edge (3/16ths or so), than this standard one.

I'm really disappointed in the crappy stock flat black pg, it's almost like cardboard. you can tell that was a corner cut. I guess they figured a lot of them would end up replaced, but not so many would if they were a nice gloss quality one like most guitars come with.

and I didn't mind the feel of the stock monster knob so much, I played two shows with it and usually use my volume pedal mostly for level control, but it just looks ugly. this classic one just suits me better with the gloss pg.

Comment

Working...
                              X