Problem with my black So Cal's neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with my black So Cal's neck

My black So Cal seems to be a lemon.. it is one of the first run instruments. The truss rod has almost no adjustment left in it, and any tension tweaks make the neck set into a hard V shape with a very pronounced bend right at the 7th fret. The neck also seems to curve upwards around where the heel starts.

So, instead of the neck being flat with a light curve in it, it has an abrupt bend in it around the 7th fret that won't go away and then a bend upwards at about the 15th fret. It is impossible to get nice action on this thing; when you set it up so the upper notes ring through clearly, the action in the middle of the neck is quite high, then when you set it so it plays well on the lower part of the neck the upper notes all go dead quickly and have all kinds of overtones.

I'm thinking I'll need to send it away for warranty service, or return it outright if I think I'm not going to get a good one back. Does anyone else have these kind of problems with their So Cal?

This definitely sounds like something that they should cover under warranty. I'd start the process right away. Good luck with it!

Comment

send it in. don't mess with it, over tightening a truss rod is bad news!

Comment

That´s obvious warranty work right there... get it back to the dealer ASAP, and you´ll probably get a good one back. You should be fine, since no-one else has reported truss problems as far as I´ve seen.

Comment

Yeah, If it's over tightening, I would definitely send it back. Because it's Charvel, I'm sure they would do a good job replacing the guitar and/or the neck.
          Ratt & Roll

Comment

Sounds like a warped neck to me. Time for warranty work!
            Scott

Comment

Definitely send it for a new neck under warranty.
              My black So-Cal plays like a wet dream.
              You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
              You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
              --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
              --horns666 - 12/29/08
              I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
              --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

No problems here either. Wood is funny sometimes.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

you must have gotten one of the 1/8 sawn necks, they were half as good as the 1/4 sawn ones.

seriously, it's warranty time, take it back to your dealer for a replacement neck.
                  the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Is it possible that you've over-tightened the truss rod? Post a pic of it.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                      Is it possible that you've over-tightened the truss rod? Post a pic of it.
                      Nope, didn't make any adjustments to it. We tried a 1/4 turn and it just made it worse, so we let it back out again. There is no adjustment left in it to let it out any further, either.

Comment

Working...
                      X