Charvel® Custom Shop Nitro Aged San Dimas®

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel® Custom Shop Nitro Aged San Dimas®

What's up with these new custom shop guitars? The Zoo has these right now. They say they have "Original 21 Fret Pre-Production San Dimas Neck Carve". What does that mean? Anyone play one yet? I'd love one with a thicker neck...more like a 50's Strat or a current American Strat, rather than the profile that the "Natural Series" have. I never really got used to those thinner necks.

i dont usually like relics but thats awesome
    Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
    Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

That is very cool!

Comment

So - when did Charvel ever finish anything in Nitro? None of the old ones look like that.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by zarl View Post
          They say they have "Original 21 Fret Pre-Production San Dimas Neck Carve". What does that mean?
          I don't know. I've heard that old Charvel necks were all over the place in terms of thickness.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+1

My guess is it will be on the thicker side and will have a 12" fretboard radius rather than 12 - 16 compound, but imo the best thing to do is either email or call them & ask about the neck dimensions to be sure. I've only heard good things about the Zoo, and I'm sure they'll be happy to talk to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              So - when did Charvel ever finish anything in Nitro?
              Never. But that's not the point of these. The idea is that they wanted to capture the relic vibe, but in a superstrat format. Hence these....
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                I don't know. I've heard that old Charvel necks were all over the place in terms of thickness.
                You heard correct, but IMHO from the s-heads I have played, owned and still own, there can be some relative consistency between necks with the same nut width and general carve. So a wide flat neck 1 3/4 will seem similar to another of the same general dimensions. A 1 5/8 thicker profile will also feel similar to another. I have specific examples in my head of s-heads that I have played feel similar. This is based on expirience with serialzied guitars as I have only played a few pre-pros and 5 digit guitars.

One thing that I have noticed is that the way the neck tapers seems to be different on the earlier guitars than say what they were doing in 85-86 time frame. The later s-heads feel quite similar to current s-head guitars that I have played (I am not refering to the production models as I have yet to play one). The early stuff is alot more all over the place.

I can tell you that I have a "feel" in my head of what they are refering too. I would be interested to know if the Zoo is ordering these, for instance, with a 1 5/8 nut, if the neck has a more rounded feel, but is still small in the hands. If on the otherhand, if its 1 3/4, I would expect very thin. If 1 11/16, I would expect somewhere in the middle between the two. When I say expect, I should probably say "hope" though, as it is true that no two easly necks are really the same.
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

These Nitros are pretty cool. I was at TMZ picking up a used soloist (H-S Chlorine) during their Fall Sale, when they arrived. Tommy (the owner) was cool enough to take the Red one out of the box and let me try it out. Killer feel and a 'mojo' vibe to it that reminds me of my older brother's old charvel - which I wish he still had. There nice but out of my price range.

The 'relicing' they've done on them are sweet. Chip Ellis was involved (I think). What I have noticed is that 'relicing' can feel/look different depending on the guitars finish. On a poly finish, the relicing looks kinda weird (forced.) On a nitro finish, you get the checking and the shrinkage and the 'worn out' look just looks better.

I think I'd have more fun if I 'reliced' a fiddle myself.

Comment

I SOOOO WANT THAT!!!! anybody know the msrp yet?
                    Ratt & Roll

Comment

No idea what the msrp is, but the Music Zoo's price is $2999.

Comment

Yeah, they're 'streeting' for about $3k. Can't see myself spending that kind of coin - especially with the current economic struggles we're all feeling.

That's why I think I'd have more fun making my own messy, relic'ed fiddle.

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
                          I have specific examples in my head of s-heads that I have played feel similar. This is based on expirience with serialzied guitars as I have only played a few pre-pros and 5 digit guitars.
                          Having played a few pre-pros and other Charvels, would you generally say that the pre-pros feel thicker? That is, tending more Fender-like and less Ibanez Wizard-like? My frame of reference is the TMZ Naturals and the Fender American Strats. I tend to like a beefier neck like on a Fender.

Comment

Well, I'm a relative newbie on the forum but not a newbie at these guitars so here goes: There are a few reputable folks out there that have confirmed pieces from 80-82 that bring in the 3K range, a little higher or lower depending on several factors. Not too many around but a few move from time to time. If it's 3K either way I'll just buy the old one. I'm not slamming the new ones at all, but 3K is a little stiff when the original ones can be had for not much more. It's like a 74 Strat. You can get one for 1800-2K if you work hard at it, or pay 1350 to fender for a "new" one. I support the new products but relative to the originals that seems kind of high.
                            Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                            98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

I think these might be a music zoo exclusive so shopping around might not help much unless or until they hit the used market
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

Working...
                              X