No announcement yet.

Can anybody Tell me what model this is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody Tell me what model this is?

I have been offered this guitar for a Dean razorback the serial number is
    Can anyone give me any info about this guitar?

1986 Charvel Model 4 Made in Japan. Great guitars, that one is probably worth around $300-350 so you can make your judgement off of that.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Might be a stupid question but are you 100 per cent possitive? It has active Pickups and a hardtail Kahler, so im told

Comment

He's 100% correct.
        It's a 1986 Model 4.
        The Kahler is not a hard tail.
        The pups are not active either, they are passive (J50BC Hum and two J-200 singles).
        The guitar has a built in pre-amp with a mid-boost.

Check the catalog... http://audiozone.dk/cm/thumbnails.php?album=10
        -Rick

Comment

I'd prefer that over a razorback... But from the money point, that's up to you...

Comment

Check out the import forum - lots more info and enthusiam over there for these, some would say, the cadillacs of the model series.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

That's a great guitar!!!!! I'd keep it!!!
              Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlz View Post
                That's a great guitar!!!!! I'd keep it!!!
                he doesn't have it yet!!!
                Hail yesterday

Comment

GET IT THEN keep it

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonDean666 View Post
                    Might be a stupid question but are you 100 per cent possitive? It has active Pickups and a hardtail Kahler, so im told
                    Kahler trems do not need the spring route like a Floyd, so yeah, it's not a hardtail. If it was, it wouldn't have the locking nut.

The trade is up to you. While the Model models are great, if you're a big-time Floyd user and the Razorback has a Floyd, you're probably not going to have as much fun with the Kahler, mostly due to the behind-the-nut setup. A Floyd nut will fix that, but the trem has other issues like not being able to flutter, and pullups are tricky. You can do them, but you run a greater risk of popping a string.
                    Also, extreme dives may cause the string to pop out.

Lastly, you're trading a relatively new guitar/trem for one that's probably older than you, which means it's been used for 20+ years.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The model 4 is a better build guitar but if you like using the trem stick with the razorback. The bridge pickup in the model 4 sounds good but it's weak too. Just bending strings can make a kahler go out of tune too.
                      That said my 86 model 6 is the one guitar I would never sell.

Comment

What these last two said about them going out of tune and whatnot is NOT NECISSARILY TRUE. If youre going to state your opinion on a matter, then make sure people know that.

A properly setup Kahler will hold tune just as well as ANY other tremolo system. I, as with many other people can attest to that, and will put money on it. Do not be afraid of the Kahler, they are AMAZING bridges. They have 3 times the adjustability of a Floyd. Sure, you cant do flutters... big deal, how many times do you find yourself really doing that anyway? I have absolutley NO problems pulling up on my Kahler, again, maybe the other guys werent setup right, who knows? Another cool fact about the Kahler is that you can pull up as much as you want, and the strings wont fret out... on a Floyd, the more you pull, the closer the strings get to the fretboard and will eventually hit... a Kahler on the other hand, the string height doesent change at all at any time.

Just some info so you can make an educated decision. Take it as you will!
                        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I am a guy with Kahlers and he is right. set up properly the Kahlers are fantastic machines. Some think Kahlers preserve more tone than a Floyd. This is like Strats vs. Les Pauls. Both do the job but do it differently. Also, an IMPROPERLY setup locking trem is the worst of all possible worlds. It wangs, and it twangs, but it won't stay in tune. Both are good, but a proper lock trem setup is a must. I've owned a couple of model 4's over the years. Really nice guitars.
                          Why the hell doesn't Eddie pick up a goddamned guitar and play something?

Current Junk:
                          98 ESP S'burst Tiger,(2) 85 Jackson Soloists (1 pink, 1 red and a white 85 Rhoads),08 Wayne,98 Blackmore, 91 375 Deluxe, 91 MM EVH Purple, 75 Ibanez Korina Destroyer,74 Strat, 78 JMP, 87 JCM800, (2) 80 Hamer Sunbursts, Peavey Vandenberg Custom Puzzle, 335, LPR8, 80 Dimarzio Explorer, 80 Dimarzio Strat, 84 Charvel, Nightswan, LPC Lite, old Baretta, etc. etc. +stuff. [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Working...
                          X