San Dimas Style 1 2H Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Dimas Style 1 2H Finish

Does anyone know what the finish is on these guitars? I'm geussing they are some sort of polyurethane, is that correct?

Thanks,

Pretty much everything - except some "vintage spec" guitars - is done with poly nowadays. And I've heard that even a lot of the so-called vintage-spec "nitro" finish guitars are actually poly, but with a thin layer of nitro over it.

Comment

Point of clarification: just in case someone might misinterpret my statement above. I wasn't speaking about the MZ nitro run there at all. I assume those a really nitro. Wasn't speaking about Charvels at all, actually. Just what I've heard through the grapevine about some..ahem...older guitar names that issue high-bucks vintage spec models.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
        Point of clarification: just in case someone might misinterpret my statement above. I wasn't speaking about the MZ nitro run there at all. I assume those a really nitro. Wasn't speaking about Charvels at all, actually. Just what I've heard through the grapevine about some..ahem...older guitar names that issue high-bucks vintage spec models.
        You're right - some mfg's are just spraying nitro over poly. However, Gibson has always used nitro - but they've changed the amounts of plasticizers in the paint so it doesn't crack like the old stuff.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I am not sure about the Charvels. I believe the Jacksons have a urethane base/color coat and a polyester clear. A better authority would probably be Mr. Learn. Hopefully he will chime in. I had thought at one time I had heard that the Jackson's color coats were nitro and the clear coat was polyester.
          Last edited by ulijdavid; 10-28-2008, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X