21 fret necks - what's the deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joelayres View Post
    Just like a drummer that can't do it on a 4 piece set, a guitar player that can't get it done with 21 frets needs to go back to the basics.
    Wow. So maybe any guitar player that can't get it done with an acoustic needs to back to the basics too.

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
      Wow. So maybe any guitar player that can't get it done with an acoustic needs to back to the basics too.
      +1

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        And it should say Fender on the headstock - anything else isn't a Strat.
        Interesting that I just unloaded my Fender 62 RI Strat because my Hamer USA Daytona "out-Strats" it.

Comment

I like how this thread is developing. I was gonna keep my trap shut here but I can't. I've always adapted to whatever gitbox I play, probably from having so many over the years. To me, a good set-up matters the most and as well as decent sustain when you're plugged in. The number of frets doesn't really matter. Oh yeah- you can't beat having a drummer who travels with a four piece kit!

Comment

well, playing and owning 21, 22 and 24 fret guitars, i find that getting the highest notes (through bending) on a 21 fret neck sounds more dynamic and exciting (if if they are a fair bit sour) than just playing the note straight on a 24 fret guitar.

but, it could also be a stylistic thing. i have a bluesy approach like blackmore or schenker as opposed to a shred style, ala gilbert, etc. though, malmsteen gets it done with a 21 fret guitar....

there IS something to be said about going back and thinking outside the box sometimes. i like the drummer comparison - there is truth to that....as well as the acoustic comment, though i think it was of a smart-assed response....but going back a working technique on different instruments enables you to have versatility...to me anyway!!!!

the extra frets ARE nice depending on HOW you play....but not really necessary if you practice enough.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Yes, my acoustic comment was intended to be sarcastic since he felt the need to tell anyone that can't play with 21 frets that they suck....right after I got done saying I prefer 22.

But whatever, arguing neck/fret preference is pointless. Gilbert wouldn't want to play Yngwie's guitars and vice versa, but that doesn't mean shit other than they have personal preferences that are different.

Comment

that's my point!!
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                  But whatever, arguing neck/fret preference is pointless. Gilbert wouldn't want to play Yngwie's guitars and vice versa, but that doesn't mean shit other than they have personal preferences that are different.
                  yelp.....different strokes for different folks.
                  www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                  My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Out of spite for the thread last night I played my 22 fret detuned half a step...

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
                      Out of spite for the thread last night I played my 22 fret detuned half a step...
                      :ROTF:

You rebel.

Comment

The one negative I've found with 22 necks is with bodies with pickguards (i.e. So-Cal) you have to take the neck off to get the pickguard off.

Comment

Originally posted by vondran View Post
                          The one negative I've found with 22 necks is with bodies with pickguards (i.e. So-Cal) you have to take the neck off to get the pickguard off.
                          Argh I hate that!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            If you can't get around the heel on a Strat, you've got technique issues.
                            I think anyone can get around the heel, BUT the less you need to move, the faster you can go. I don't mind a bolt-on. If I want that glassy blues sound, I pick up a bolt on with singlecoils. But for mean shredding: 24 fret neck-through with buckers!!!
                            '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                            '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                            '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
                            '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
                            '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                            '13 Gibson M-III
                            Taylor 214CE
                            Dean 6-string Bass
                            Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Working...
                            X