Used Charvel Guitar Identification Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Charvel Guitar Identification Question

Hello everyone. I am new to the forums. I have a question about a used Charvel I saw for sale. I am trying to figure out the model and whether it is American made.

It had a strat type body with a flame maple top. The neck was birdseye maple with an ebony fretboard. It had a schaller licensed floyd rose tremolo and dual humbuckers (type unknown). The headstock had the Charvel name. It never had any markings to specify the country it was made in. On the back, the neck plate had "Jackson" on it. I will call the dealer and try to get the serial number today.

Would any one know what type of Charvel this is? Thanks in advance.

Just got the serial number. It is 9705829.

Comment

The serial number and logo on the neck plate indicate it came off of an import Jackson.
      It's most likely a parts guitar with an aftermarket neck.
      -Rick

Comment

If you have a picture that would help. It does sound strange to have a Charvel brand on the headstock and a Jackson neck plate.

The only scenario I have ever heard of like that is that apparently during a period in the 90s or perhaps later some custom shop Charvels carried Jackson neck plates, but the serial number doesn't seem like a custom shop serial #.

Probably a parts guitar. If that's the case be wary of the price because if you ever try to resell it - parts guitars sell for a whole lot less than "intact" guitars.
        Dave

Comment

Which Charvels came with birdseye maple necks? That's not very common, at least in my experience.
          Scott

Comment

It might be a parts guitar of a charvel model A body and a Model A+ neck. Those were birdseye and ebony boards. I don't know if any of the 95-97 reissues came that way.

Comment

The 95-96 reissues said "Made in USA" under the Charvel logo.
              He said it did not have any indication of country of origin.
              Even the re-issues still had "Made in USA" on the neck plate and the headstock.
              Some of the 95's had Jackson neck plates, but they would not have had that serial number.
              They also came with Real Floyds, not JT-590's.

Now, it very well could be an SD-150. Link to catalog pic.
              That is a Japanese market San Dimas series guitar.
              It came with a JT-590, dual hums and had a birds eye neck.
              The fretboard is Rosewood, but I've mistake dark Rosewood for Ebony on more than one occasion.
              But I do not know if they had Jackson branded neck plates.
              -Rick

Comment

that serial number is import. i have a custom shop charvel (in the gallery for reference) that has a jackson neck plate - the serial is a 4 digit number. i forget what it is though...
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. I have done numerous searches based on the info you have given me. I am unable to find a guitar that looks anything like it. I am assuming it is a parts guitar. Not to say that it isn't nice. I looked like a very fine instrument, but it is a bit pricey for what it is (considering it is a parts guitar). They want $799 for it. I am going to pass on that one. Thanks again for the input.

Comment

I went to the store today for some strings and decided to take a pic of that Charvel to show everyone. I can't figure out how to post the pics here. Can someone tell me how?

Comment

You'll need to upload them to a photo-sharing site (for example, www.photobucket.com, or www.imageshack.com). Then put the URL for the image inside of [IMG] tags in the message.
                      Scott

Comment

You have to post the pic to some place like photobucket.com then link to it from your post. Looking forward to the pic!
                        Dave

Comment

It didn't show up. here is the link.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Neck plate

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

headstock

Comment

Working...
                              X