Neckswap on SoCal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    A 1-hum option on the new SoCal? Yes, indeed, you can do it yourself. It's called a pickguard change.
    Yep, and if there was alefty available I'd do just that! And paint it Snow White, with a black pickguard, or make an Adrian Smith style out of it...
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

You could always order a Carvin Bolt or a DC125. They're great guitars, and they're available lefty at no extra charge!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They are nice, but it's a Carvin
        It surely sucks for me, but I usually end up building my own mutts all the time.
        Thanks for the heads up on that Joe
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven

Comment

No problem. Poor lefty freak! :ROTF:
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I know *hangs head*

But back on subject, I think these SoCal's open themselves up nicely to mods. There will be many more that are modded in the years to come thats for sure.
            Who had that Orange one with the Pearloid pickguard and Chrome hardware?
            That was one of the first guys on here to mod the pickguard and harware IIRC?
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
              The DK2M is 24 frets and it wont work on this body.

Durrr, I knew that. I didn't say anything about putting a DK2M neck on it.

And that was RalphE that had the white pickguard. I've got further mods planned, but I'm being lazy
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ok, I wasnt sure what you were trying to say then, cause you mentioned a DK2M neck and modding the SoCal in the same sentence.
                I knew that you were smarter than that

Yeah that was RalphE, I couldnt remem who it was. Thanks for the heads up.
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  Well its about damn time someone parted one of these things out!!!

Way to go, newc!!!
                  Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Yeah, I never could understand why no one else has done this yet. I mean, there are a couple of dealers on Ebay that had DK2M necks the first month they were available, but no one besides me has done a new Charvel? WTF?
                  Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                  Ok, I wasnt sure what you were trying to say then, cause you mentioned a DK2M neck and modding the SoCal in the same sentence.
                  I knew that you were smarter than that

Yeah that was RalphE, I couldnt remem who it was. Thanks for the heads up.

See, they all run in sequence, like conversations usually do
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

touche'
                    My "speed reading" gets me in trouble from time to time. I apologize brother! I see what went on now.
                    Nice job on your guitar anyway. That neck looks like Matt Tuck's Rhoads sort of.
                    'Howling in shadows
                    Living in a lunar spell
                    He finds his heaven

Comment

After putting the new neck on, I finally understand why you'd put a pickup ring on a pickguard - the neck angle is so steep that the strings aren't close enough to the bridge pickup, and it's all the way up.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        After putting the new neck on, I finally understand why you'd put a pickup ring on a pickguard - the neck angle is so steep that the strings aren't close enough to the bridge pickup, and it's all the way up.
                        I had to do that on my Focus 4000 V,(put a '67 V style pickguard on it, with a top mount OFR) cause the pickup was sticking up too high and that was a reasonable remedy.
                        Nice job on that one for sure Newc!
                        Other than that, you like how it went together and how it plays?
                        Why did you swap the neck anyway? Is that one thinnner than the SoCal?
                        Just wanted something different?
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven

Comment

I'm not feeling it.
                          But that's just me. It seems too dark.
                          Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Just wanted something different. Already have the CT SoCal, so no sense in a perfectly good neck going to waste.

I probably shoulda grabbed that white KV3 body from Ebay a couple weeks ago, but meh.

Can't say it plays better than the old neck. Identical if anything. It does feel thinner.

Comment

I cant be the only one that thinks that is a a waste of a good charvel. You know, I could never understand why people did this, and now I think I am getting a better understanding.

Would seem to me you could have done the same think for about $350 on the bay.

Its your guitar, so you can do what you want. Does not make it right though.

To each his own I guess.
                              "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

"Right" and "wrong" are up to the individual. These aren't classic treasures to be locked away and kept virginal. Mod them. Change things around. They're wire and wood, not flesh and bone.

Besides, have you seen the bids?

Comment

Working...
                                X