So Cal Love - Even Better The Second Time Around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Cal Love - Even Better The Second Time Around

Here are my two So Cals. I bought the CT one first. I kept it stock for a while but recently put a new pickguard on it from Warmoth and put a 5-way mega switch in it to get some coil tapping options. I picked up the black one a month or so ago and put in a new pickguard with 5-way mega switch and switched to an HSS config. I decided to keep the original knob of death on both.

Dave

Cool. Can't say I'm a fan of the pattern in the pickguard, but I do have a rep for being crazy

Anyhoo, were the Warmoth 'guards diect replacements? Screw holes line up and all that?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Also, the pickups on the black So Cal are the original ToneZone in the bridge, Cruiser in the middle, and Fast Track 1 in the neck.

Both guitars play pretty much the same. There are some differences I noticed on the newer one though. In general, the newer one had a better "finishing touches" on the neck. For example, the frets were smoother, the wood felt smoother, and there was only one little spot where there was still some white polish or whatever that hadn't been completely cleaned off the neck (wedged between a fret and the fredboard). The CT one had more of the white polish on it that I had to clean off and I had to polish up the frets a bit.

Also, on the Floyd ... I big blocked both of them which gave a deeper tone and more sustain. I also replaced the wobbly whammy bar that came stock with Schaller ones from Stewmac and they feel much better.

I have to say I'm happiest with the black one in terms of pickup config, but will probably keep the CT as an HH for a while to see if it grows on me.

On another note, I was kind-of disappointed that I had to pretty much remove the neck on them to remove the old pickguard and replace it with a new one. I won't be replacing the pickguard often, but as Newc mentioned in another thread it is kind of a pain to have to loosen the neck screws every time you want to tinker with the electronics.

All in all, I'm very happy with these guitars. I think I have satisfied my GAS at least enough to get me through the holidays.
      Dave

Comment

nice mods, glad to see the Warmoth pickguards worked for someone else. I think I'm the first one to swap one of those onto a CT, I did it immediately.

those black SoCals cry out for a white pickguard (w/b/w)
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

cool fiddles. I especially like the guard change on the black one..nice work!
          www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
          My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

I didn't have to loosen my neck to install my pg... (?)
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Anyhoo, were the Warmoth 'guards diect replacements? Screw holes line up and all that?
              In all practicality the Warmoth ones are direct replacements. The neck pocket cutout is perfect and the screw holes pretty much line up - off by a milimeter here or there. When I screwed them in I just did each one a little at a time until they were all snug instead of screwing them in all the way one by one. This allowed pickguard to move a bit so the screws went in straight.

The shape of the Warmoth pickguards is not as fat/rounded as the original one though - like on the lower horn. I kind of dug the fat/rounded original one as it looked more modern. The Warmoth ones have a more classic strat look to them.
              Dave

Comment

Originally posted by gtrbuyer View Post
                cool fiddles. I especially like the guard change on the black one..nice work!
                Thanks man. Yeah ... I think the black one worked out the best. The jury is still out on the CT's new pickguard.
                Dave

Comment

Lucky you

I suppose if you remove the bridge or strings you wouldn't have to remove the neck to get the pg off.

On the subject of getting to the electronics easier, I'm thinking of a Jazz bass-style pickguard where the electricals are mounted on a separate plate, but I seem to recall that Warmoth won't deviate from the Fender Design Bible.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                    I didn't have to loosen my neck to install my pg... (?)
                    For both of mine the fretboard overhang was squeezing the pickguard to the body. I tryed to pull it free, but ended up having to loosen the neck bolts to get some wiggle room.
                    Dave

Comment

Hmm. My pickguards weren't being squeezed by the overhang, but they wouldn't slide out far enough without removing the bridge, so the neck had to come off.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        they wouldn't slide out far enough without removing the bridge, so the neck had to come off.
                        I remember that being an issue also. The pickguard was wedged in there on mine pretty tight and the trem wasn't helping.
                        Dave

Comment

Awesome mods man, this is what I like to see with the new charvies

Comment

Very nice, im loving the black one. Since charvel hasn't made a single hum production, im thinking of getting a so cal and a warmoth single hum pick guard

Comment

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
                              Very nice, im loving the black one. Since charvel hasn't made a single hum production, im thinking of getting a so cal and a warmoth single hum pick guard
                              Yeah, that's the reason I'd probably go for a So Cal, too. I love the flexibility you get with a pickguard. I'd like to get a CT So Cal and swap in a W/B/W pickguard with white pickups in an H/S layout, with one volume and a 5-way switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X