Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KBRR View Post
    Very nice, im loving the black one.
    Yeah, I have a pearloid pickguard fetish and the silver pearl on the black one really makes it pop. Plus it really gives it a classic/vintage sort of feel to it for the lack of a better term.

I went with the black pearl on the CT because I had just finished watching pirates of the Caribbean - ok not really. I thought it should be dark to help contrast the CT color, but I couldn't find a color that wouldn't clash with the CT which look slike copper in person. So, I just went with black and the pearl effect. But now I'm starting to think that the CT color just doesn't go with a pearloid classic look. Maybe I need something more industrial looking.

Here are some other colors I considered for the CT pickguard ...

Anaconda:

Brown Shell:

And Silver Pearl the same as the black one:
    Dave

Comment

DHardmanJr- Man, you did a nice job souping up those two rascals. A couple of big blocks under the hood and a nice tight wiggle stick- way to go! The black number has a bit of a Maiden vibe to it. Nice, real nice.

Comment

I'm really diggin the black one. Nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by DHardmanJr View Post
          But now I'm starting to think that the CT color just doesn't go with a pearloid classic look. Maybe I need something more industrial looking.
          Personally I like the flat black on the CT. Ralp's white 'guard on his CT gives it a Creamsicle look, but I'm not a huge fan of it

I realize the flat black with no trim doesn't float everyone's boat, but to my eyes, it makes you focus more on the body color, which is where the attention should go.

That said, and going with the "industrial" notion, you can try a carbon-fiber pickguard with the faint crosshatching in it. Can't recall where I saw those.

Diamondplate may go with it, but also may be too light.

A pickguard too close to the CT color might not look so good IMO.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Nice guitars man! I prefer the Black one myself, because it has an HSS pup configuration and it's unique in that respect. I think that you did a great job on both of them however.

My Jake E. Lee mutt has a fretboard overhang, and I have to removed the Kahler when I need to get under the pickguard to swap pups, or do wiring mods, etc... I agree, it is a pain in the ass.

Nice axes, thanks for sharing the photos!
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven
            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. It was a fun project.

Newc ... the carbon fiber pickguard just might do the trick with CT. I found some Gibson guitars that use carbon fiber and it looks pretty cool. I haven't been able to find a place that sells carbon fiber strat pickguards though.
              Dave

Comment

Those both look great. I think those guitars look way better with those cool pickguards. Nice work.
                Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
                www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

those are bucking futt-ugly

Comment

More cool mods on these guitars. To me, that's what Charvels have always been about. Heck my 1980 and 1984 have probably had about 20 different pickups in each of them as my tone tastes have changed.

In pictures, the black So Cal with the flat black pickguard looks pretty cool. But in person I think it looks killer. It looks like some sort of stealth weapon, seriously. I own a black SD1 and a candy tangerine So Cal and I'm staring at this black So Cal hanging here and thinking "hmmmmmmmm, what can I sell?"

Comment

Working...
                    X