Help on replacing Floyd on a production series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on replacing Floyd on a production series

I'm going to replace the floyd on my SoCal with a new OFR in chrome. Warmoth carries them with the 37mm block -- is that the right size? Also is the R3 the correct replacement nut? Thanks.

I believe the 37mm is correct since the trem is non-recesses (you would want the 32mm for the recessed). I don't know the nut width on the new Charvels, but the R3 I believe is for 1-11/16 inch nut width and narrow string spacing. The R1 is for 1-9/16 inch nut and R2 is for 1-5/8 nut width. Measure your nut width and here is a link for all of the nut sizes and their corresponding string spacing:

With over 40 years of music industry experience, AP International is a mainstay supplier for virtually every OEM on the planet. Our goal has always been to offer quality hardware to everyone from the largest guitar companies to the garage tinkerer and everywhere in between. Order online or sign up for an account!

Comment

37 is definitely right - my Korean Floyd has a 37mm block - says it right on the block actually. I've seen others say the nut is an R3, but am not 100% sure. You do need a top mount nut - does Warmoth have them? That's where I plan on buying my OFR!
      '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
      '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
      '98 PRS Custom 22
      '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

I just checked Warmoth and it looks like their floyd nut has the bolts going through the neck. I'm wondering if the nut is the same but using smaller screws to top mount? I might call them today. Anyone know another source for Floyds?

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the nut that Warmoth supplies does both top mount and bolt through. Last one I bought, an R5 monster, had the option to fit either way.

Comment

37mm is right, the nut says r3 i believe on it.. all newer ofr nuts have the ability to top and rear mount. I kept the stock nut on there, just replaced the cheapo screws with some i had lying around.. time will tell on the nut.

check carvins prices as well.. they had decent deals on them.

dave

Comment

R3 is narrow spacing, R4 is wide spacing. Does Charvel use the narrow spacing nut? I would hate to order the new Floyd and be wrong!
              '98 PRS Custom 22
              '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

All my newer Charvels are R4.

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
                  All my newer Charvels are R4.
                  Are your Charvels custom shop, or production models? Either way, are they the same specs as the production models?
                  '98 PRS Custom 22
                  '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Nut is an R3 on the production models. Take that to the bank.
                    You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
                    You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
                    --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
                    --horns666 - 12/29/08
                    I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
                    --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

Originally posted by joelayres View Post
                      Nut is an R3 on the production models. Take that to the bank.
                      You are correct! Just checked out the spec sheet on the Charvel website. R3, right there on the neck specs!
                      '98 PRS Custom 22
                      '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

OK. So far it's a R3 nut with a 37mm block. Warmoth rep did not know if the OFR nut could be top mounted since they install theirs through the back. I can't seem to find any info on the nut. Maybe I need to call Floyd Rose directly.

Comment

All Schaller nut's that I've used in the last 10 years at least have had a countersink for top mount installation.

Cheers
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONWOLF View Post
                            All Schaller nut's that I've used in the last 10 years at least have had a countersink for top mount installation.

Cheers
                            Steve
                            are the schaller nuts identical to the ofr nuts? That is; does the ofr in retail packaging come with the schaller nut?

Comment

Originally posted by zarl View Post
                              are the schaller nuts identical to the ofr nuts? That is; does the ofr in retail packaging come with the schaller nut?
                              I just ordered an OFR from Warmoth, and the sales guy said all nuts are either or, with screws provided for through or top mounting.
                              '98 PRS Custom 22
                              '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

Working...
                              X