pickup replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup replacement

I bought myself a Charvel Model 6 and I love the guitar but... I hate the pickups, not my cup of tea.

The guitar came in pretty bad shape, so I am going to repair it completely (new finish, new frets, new bridge and new pickups)

at this moment it is a HSS config, and I don't intend to change that but I have also an Ibanez JPM, wich is dual humbucker. What I love about that is that the neckpickup sounds great on my lead channel. Problem; the singles (or stacked humbuckers) in my charvel do not. sounds thin, to much like a sinlgecoil, which it is of course [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . So I am going to have that replaced by a singlecoil sized humbucker.

what do I want: a singing warm lead tone. the wood is high voiced, so that has to be taken into account. It has to sound well without the midbooster (which I think I will keep). I have heared the pickup samples on the seymour-duncan site, but I was not really impressed by it, because of the amp settings etc.

the middlepickup will become another single, which I intend to use for clean tones only, because IMO they are not suitable for anything else. I think this won't be the biggest problem.

the bridgePU is also a point of confusion for me. I am thinking of an Dimarzio Evolution, Paf pro, tone zone or Breed. I haven't made up my mind yet. It needs to be warm, at least to compensate a little bit for the bright tone of the guitar. besides, the HB that is in now, is mounted with a mounting ring. The JPM has direct mounted PU's, which I think is good for the sustain, and that is something I like pretty much. So, is there a way of direct mounting it to the body?

I mostly play rock and metal, like the most ppl do over here, so the demands are not so strange I imagine [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .

has anyone some ideas or experiences?

harrald

Re: pickup replacement

I'd recommend either a Classic Stack for the neck or a Lil 59.

As for direct-mounting vs ring-mounting, I often hear people speak of sustain/tone differences, yet I fail to find any technical data proving or disproving that idea.
    The copper wires of a pickup cannot possibly detect the body wood any better or worse by either method of attachment.
    Can someone shed some light on this?

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
      As for direct-mounting vs ring-mounting, I often hear people speak of sustain/tone differences, yet I fail to find any technical data proving or disproving that idea.
      The copper wires of a pickup cannot possibly detect the body wood any better or worse by either method of attachment.
      Can someone shed some light on this?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I can see how there might be a tonal difference in theory.

Lets say a pickup mounted in a ring is totally isolated from body vibration (it's not but lets just pretend). The sound comes from the strings movement in a static magnetic field.

When a pickup is mounted to the body the magnetic field is also moving along with the pickup. So say the strings moves x and the pickup moves y the sound would be (x+y) instead of x in a pickup ring.

Yea I'm talking out of my @ss [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodder:
        [QB] I can see how there might be a tonal difference in theory.

Lets say a pickup mounted in a ring is totally isolated from body vibration (it's not but lets just pretend). The sound comes from the strings movement in a static magnetic field.

When a pickup is mounted to the body the magnetic field is also moving along with the pickup. So say the strings moves x and the pickup moves y the sound would be (x+y) instead of x in a pickup ring.

Yea I'm talking out of my @ss [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yeah, but what when it is actually x-y, there goes your theory [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

harrald

Comment

Working...
        X