Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24 Fret Rhoads

Originally posted by toejam:
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think the sustainer would have to be in the neck position like it normally is for H/S/S. When the sustainer is switched to on, only the bridge humbucker works with it. I remember reading something about the sustainer itself had to be further away from the bridge pickup in order for it to work right, and that's why it's in the neck slot. Not sure if it would work okay or not in the middle position.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry Toejam, that's not accurate. Any pickup or combo thereof can be selected at the same time the sustainer is on. That's why there's a seperate on/off switch for it on PC1s. (...The other switch toggles the sustainer between primary and harmonic modes.) In fact, since the sustainer itself is also a pickup, it will do double duty at the same time. Not sure if placement relative to other PUs is important, but I kind of doubt it.

Also, going back to Joe's earlier comment, I read it as basically a "come on let's be realtistic, folks" kind of statement. i.e., Don't run off about your dream custom order RR, as McD is asking for specs suggestions for a marketable production run. I thought that was a good point. ...Then again, maybe that's not really what McD what asking. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I assumed that, and maybe he was just speaking to a one-off for summer NAMM or something along those lines. ...Or, for that matter, maybe I didn't get the whole jist of Joe's meaning, either. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

P.S.- You know, the more I think about it, the proportions of a 24f RR might look squirelly. (That's a technical term, BTW [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) Maybe Newc really did have a point? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Hard to visualize in my mind.

[ June 04, 2003, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: shreddermon ]

Comment

Doctor Jekyl said, "All I'm saying is that change is good in the work place, on the job, and in the schools. But with a guitar, what really has changed since their inception? For over 50 years we have had wooden bodies with magnetic pickups, steel strings, and a neck either glued or bolted to the body. Why mess with a classic? The Rhoads is the FLAGSHIP of the Jackson line, it represents everything the company stands for, why alter the image, feel, and tone of the instrument?"

Mr. Hyde said, "I'd like to see a 36 fret Rhoads bolt on, like the older Danelectro models. Need a full body pickguard too (like Gibson's Flying V), and two single coils, one at the neck, the other at the bridge. With a rainbow graphic and a strawberry shortcake...ah what the he!!.
      "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
      Gotta get away from here.
      Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
      Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Just like this, but with a Rhoads body.

Comment

All 24 fretters...Oh and no pick gaurd. Damn, looking back on the most common requests here it seems a Alexi Laiho/Roope Latvala would have been a perfect sig modle! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          Sorry that was not ment to get you going Greg [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Okay mabe a bit, but I with ya all the way! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

[ June 04, 2003, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Dave ]
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

You know, that Alexi is hot! I've heard a lot about her but only just got into her stuff. I think it's cool that the chicks are getting into Jacksons and heavy music. I love Lita Ford, and Flavia, now Alexa is added to the list!
            "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
            Gotta get away from here.
            Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
            Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Sorry Joe but why not make RR1's only in white w/pinstripes and black string thus/gold hardware then? How many RR1'd do you have that are not true to the original two? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Proportions look OK, but access to those last few frets can't be too easy. Here's a link to another:

http://www.kurosawagakki.com/sh_dr/p...ck_rcst_84.jpg

Mmmmmm. Body binding. Yummy. All it needs are sharkies and a Floyd.

Comment

Got mine right now and I can reach comfortably to the middle of the first coil on the neck pup with my ring finger and I have average hands. Try it! Maybe not on a bolt on. Plus, I know some say just bent a full step on the 22nd but I like to bend to f sharp on the 24th, also I like to tap the 24th with the edge of my pick.

I think Newc has a great idea but I wonder how the balance would be. It would throw more weight to the neck. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I would think.

[edit] sp

[ June 04, 2003, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Dave ]

Comment

Well, I'm someone who did in fact get a custom shop 24 fret Rhoads built. My 24 fret Rhoads has better upper fret access than my Rhoads 22 fret LTD, I don't think thats an issue. I also opted for no pickguard because I wanted more of the color to show (it was a special paint, Mystic).
                    I prefer standard headstocks in general, and on a Rhoads a standard headstock looks way better than reverse. Mine is equipped with a Kahler Pro and if Jackson is going to make production models then I'd suggest having string thru and trem versions just like we currently have.

Oh yeah, if its going to have 2 volumes, the wiring should be reversed so that the bridge volume is the front knob and the neck volume is the rear knob. Most of the time the bridge pickup is used so it makes more sense to have that knob more accessible. Although I agree that volume and tone wiring can be easily switched around by the end user.

Rudy
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I think the Rhoads should have a tuno-matic stringthrough, just because with a routed floyd your cutting out more wood, and with the rhoads already small wood srea suface, i think it would lack tone, just an idea. I also think the pickguard can go, i think it hogs from the overall image of the guitar, and the v-plate and the pick guard doesn't really 'meld' together with the v-plate. Neckthrough definately. I thin it should have EMG 81/85, two volumes 3way tone.
                      Prefferably an oiled neck, but painted i think every one is fine with. Scalloped heel and a greater neck angle like the shannon soloists would be very cool.!

I'd buy it.

Comment

I did a little update on the picture that I posted earlier. This is what I would like to see.

Comment

McD:

Thanks for asking. Here's my list:

- neck through
                          - black hardware
                          - no pickguard (rear control route)
                          - fixed bridge
                          - brushed V-plate
                          - non-reversed headstock
                          - first choice pirahna inlays, second choice pyramid inlays, third choice block inlays, fourth choice standard sharkfin. No reversed sharkfins, please.
                          - V-V-T, w/ three way switch
                          - Two hum, same types as existing RR1
                          - Orange and black crackle finish option

And yes, if you make one, I'll buy it. I am trying to get to summer NAMM, and was hoping there would be a 24 fret Rhoads in the catalog, or at least a display model in the booth, ready for dealers to take orders.

Thanks again,

- E
                          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

If everyone followed the "it was good enough for Randy" line of thinking, we would have vintage brass trems instead of Floyds on our Rhoadses. Gee, wouldn't that be nice! [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

And rear routing makes it look like a cheap import? Then why doesn't my RR3 have rear-routing? Or the PS3T? Or the RR5? The front routed Rhoads imports far outweigh the rear-routed ones, so that is a non-issue IMO.

And no, I'm not going to fork out cash for a new USA Jackson anytime soon, because I'm still in school. And once I get a job I'm more likely to order a custom one. The way I see it, putting two extra frets on the Rhoads would simply make it desirable for a larger crowd of guitarists. There are people who will settle for no less than 24 frets. A certain high-profile, ex-Jackson endorsee that was ridiculed earlier in this thread comes to mind.

'bane

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750:
                              How many of you guys saying you want "this" and "that" will actually drop the coin for it?!
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">ME!

[img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Oh, and Charvel 750, Alexi is a guy. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] certainly hope you were joking. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

BTW, how many new Jacksons have you bought? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ June 04, 2003, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: xenophobe ]
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Two extra frets is just better! [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] They're not totally necessary, but just having them there when needed is a plus.
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X