24 Fret Rhoads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24 Fret Rhoads

Yeah, its all just personal preference at that point. Me, I just don't like Floyds anymore as I feel freer with my right hand when I'm not blocked in place by the fine tuners. Sometimes my hand is behind the bridge proper and there are things I simply cannot do on a Floyd bridge.

As fas as the front pickup on a 22 vs. a 24 fret guitar, I think its a huge difference and a tone control is not going to make up that difference.

Comment

You're right, Newc; you can rest your hand on a Floyd bridge. My operative
      phrase was, "the same way". The point is
      that you adapt, which is no big deal depending on how much you want the features of the Floyd. I used to apply
      too much force to the bridge with my picking hand, which didn't notice with a
      vintage trem but which was very apparent
      with a Floyd. Learning to NOT do that also benefitted my picking, though it's still a weak point for me.

We have the benefit of hindsight knowledge of nearly 25 years, that Randy
      didn't have when he first tried one and didn't like it. He couldn't go to a forum - or even find another guitarist familiar with it, most likely - and ask
      "how do you deal with this trait of a floating trem?" For him it was probably
      easier at the time to use the trem in the solo, have at most 1 verse and an outro
      to be concerned about being out of tune through, then hand the guitar to a roadie
      and get a freshly-tuned one. A vintage trem will stay in tune pretty well for a song or 2 if it's kept oiled and if you
      widen the nut slots and oil them too. That was EVH's method before he got a Floyd. Not perfect, but put it in context where the Floyd was not the proven workhorse we know it to be today.
      It had been around for awhile, but was not the standard yet.
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I may be waaaay off the mark here, but in the long run, wouldn't it make more sense for Jackson (Fender), moneywise, to make the switch over to a 24 fretter? Both the soloist and the Rhoads would be able to use the same neck thereby making the company more efficient. It would just be a matter of which wings to apply to the neck.
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

listen to the Rhoads seminar...he was asked about his trems....he said that the polka-dot goes out of tune all the time and he said grover had a prototype that had rollers (I'm assuming a Kahler) but he also said that outside of a Floyd Rose...there is no perfect tremolo system. That to me sounds like he thought the Floyd was a good system [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

"but the point about adapting one's playing style just didn't sit well with me."

What Black Mariah said. [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Also, you have to adapt your style whether you're sitting on a stool, on your couch, or if you're playing standing up...

You're going to have to play EVERY guitar somewhat differently, adapt your technique, etc...

Certainly, my KV, my Warrior, or any of my other guitars all rest differntly while sitting, and hang differently when standing... The KV hangs with the neck pointing diagonally up, at about a 45 degree angle with the 24th fret of the neck sitting close to the center of my body, while my Warrior's neck sits more level with the floor and the 24th fret of the neck is centered to the side of my body. I have to adjust to either of these, or my strat, with a non recessed floyd just needs to be handled differenly than my SL2 string thru.

My three favorite guitars all play extremely well, but all require me to adapt to them, but in ways that I'm comfortable. My Warlock, for one, was a beautiful guitar that I loved to sit and play, but I couldn't work with it standing up for the life of me... hanging high, low, leather strap, nylon strap, I just couldn't find a comfortable position with it, so I sold it...

So, it's just a matter of how much you're willing to adjust, and if that adjustment is comfortable or not...

Damn, work is slow... so I'm here rambling. hehe. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I couldn't get used to my Warlock either so I gave it to my sister. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I can't play that thing for more than 10 minutes without my arm spasming for some reason.

Comment

I am a King V guy myself, but if they don't give us a USA string -thru King V, I would definitley go for a 24 fret Rhoads string thru. (rear route, JB/SH2N, jumbo frets, shark fins, bound neck, V/T, 3-way toggle) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I certainly wouldn't complain if Jackson started a USA Select series 24 fret Rhoads. As far as specs go:
                  an RR1 with rear routed control cavity (ie. no pickguard) although I do like the idea of sending a predrilled pickguard with the guitar so that it could be installed by a novice who happens to prefer the pickguard look.
                  String-through or Floyd bridge (I would prefer a Floyd). If string-through please use the ferrules like on the DKMGT and not the V shaped thing that currently comes on the string-through Rhoads.
                  2 humbuckers, 2 volume controls, Tone pot is optional (I hate them), and a 3-way blade switch.
                  and of course the above mentioned 24 frets.

I know it may not be practicle but maybe offer a traditional Rhoads model and then the 24 fret model. It would also be cool for an import model 24 fret Rhoads as well with the above mentioned specs.
                  One other idea might be to offer an import neckthru 24 fret Rhoads that has a Floyd bridge and offer the USA model as a string-through. That might satisfy both parties.
                  KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                  I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Please! There HAS to be a floyd version!

Floyd or both!
                    I have no eyes, fuck-mook!

Comment

• Re: 24 Fret Rhoads

Nuff Said [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I say same as an RR1 but without a pickguard...I hate those damn ugly things...

Comment

yes, that would be a dream guitar...
                          I love the rhoads shape and 24 frets rule...

I gues I'll have the money for a custom in a few years, and three months after I ordered, jackson will bring one in series... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                          tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Newc, you rule!

Originally posted by Newc:

Nuff Said [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                            \oo/. .\oo/ @ www.jacksonguitars.com

Comment

Was there ever any doubt? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yay, inverted Jackson logo! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                How depraved! [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X