So I bought an RR24m....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I bought an RR24m....

and it came with paper under the locking nut to raise up the high E. If I take out the paper the string is right on the first fret. Now I noticed that the guitar won't stay in tune very well it will go flat like 5 mins after I tune it up, without using the floyd. If I do use it all even the slightest use of it will knock it way out of tune. My question is could this have anything to do with the paper under the locking nut or does it not really matter?

Removing the paper shouldn't impact the tuning. Are your strings stretched? I'm wondering if the strings are changed but not fully stretched.

Comment

I am asking about the tuning with the paper there. I cant take out the paper because the string will buzz. How long does it take for the strings to stretch out? I pulled up on the floyd to stretch them out

Comment

Is this a stupid question or something?

Comment

A - the paper is there to shim the floyd nut.

B - it sounds like the nut may not have been installed correctly and may be moving - thus going out of tune. Slack the strings, unscrew the screws holding the nut down, press it down and towards the fretboard tightly and then re-tighten the screws.

C - you don't need to "stretch" the strings on double locking trem.

D - if it still goes out of tune, check the knife edges on the floyd.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

i agree and check the setup on the floyd. make sure the base plate is level with the body, loosen the headstock lock nut and stretch the strings with your thumb and index finger and retune till strings wont stretch any more, then after all tuned up retighten lock nut and check the ball end lock nuts as well, make sure they are tight. then floyd should stay in tune really good.
            Marshall 100 watt full stack mg100
            Peavy 6505+ Half stack
            Raven rg20 combo amp
            Jackson Dxmg
            Jackson RR24
            BOSS EFFECTS PEDALS

Comment

Grandturk is correct on the shim under the nut. This is very common and Floyd Rose also makes shims of various sizes.
              I do have to disagree with Grandturk on stretching the strings. I always stretch my strings regardless of bridge type. I usually keep the three locking nuts on the nut LOOSE and tune up. I then take the low E and pull it about 3/4" off the fretboard and retune. It usually takes about 6 times of doing this before the string stays in tune. I then repeat this process for each string - don't pull as much on the B and high E though. After all of that then I lock down the nut and fine tune.

Comment

Paper makes a crappy shim. I don't know why Charvel/Jackson does this. The nut needs a nice flat and hard surface to sit on, not a folded piece of sandpaper. Plus it's typical that after removing and reinstalling the nut, the screws will need to be re-torqued after the first time you use the tremolo.

Did this problem start before or after you took the nut off and discovered the paper shim? Or was it doing this already, and you took it apart to check it out?

What Grandturk said is correct. Here's what I'd suggest to troubleshoot this:

1. With everything locked down, dive the tremolo. Are the strings sharp, or flat?

2. If they are sharp, then either the nut is moving or the strings are slipping at the nut. Since you've recently removed the nut it's more likely the nut is moving.

3. If they are flat, then it's more likely the knife edges or something binding up with the springs, but I'm guessing they'll be sharp.

4. Again, assuming they're sharp, remove the lock nut and paper shim. Make sure the shelf is nice and flat, there should not be raised edges around the screw holes.

5. Go buy a can of soda. Drink it. Cut it up with your mom's good sewing scissors to make a metal shim.

6. Put the nut back on. Tune up, lock down, dive/pull a couple of times.

7. Now unlock the nut and remove the string lock clamps, and re-tighten the screws. They need to be nice and tight, and they'll often work a little loose the first time you use the tremolo after reinstalling the nut.

If that doesn't fix it, I don't know what else to suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
                  I do have to disagree with Grandturk on stretching the strings. I always stretch my strings regardless of bridge type.
                  Its important to understand that you're not actually "stretching" the strings. You're tightening the windings around the tuning post. Since the locking nut takes the tuners out of the equation, there's no reason to do this. If you've got a single locking trem, like a Kahler, then stretching the strings makes sense because you want to "seat" the string and tighten the windings at the ball end.

But, above all else - do what works.

I couldn't find the article on Floyd Rose's site that explains exactly why you never actually want to actually "stretch" a string - basically, stretching implies exerting force beyond the strings elasticity, permanently weakening the string - like pulling apart taffy.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

I've never heard of Jackson using paper as a shim. Are you sure the shop didn't do this?
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Grandturk you are correct. Most of the "stretching" is just firmly snugging the string around the tuner posts. I am probably just a creature of habit and have many years of stretching non-locking / non-trem guitars. But, like you stated:

"Do what works"

Comment

everything GT says makes sence to me, there realy is no need to strech on a double locking trem

Comment

Hmmm.... got pics? If someone used a paper shim, it would be unapproved and I would like to know.

Thanks!
                          \oo/. .\oo/ @ www.jacksonguitars.com

Comment

Ok so I fixed it after reading a few things online and alot of help from GT thanks for the help. Ok now for the paper shim, I am 100 percent sure it wasnt the shipper as I have bought many guitars from them and they are all always sealed in the box. The paper under the nut feels kinda like construction paper, its a bit thicker and tougher than regular paper. I can take a pic of the side of the nut to see the elevation on it and of the paper.

Comment

Personally I dont care if it was paper or plastic because the guitar is out of hand and I only paid 600 for it. It makes my Les Paul seem like a toy. I havent seen such a quality guitar for a while now, and the problem was the Floyd wasnt set up right.

Comment

Working...
                              X