Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ungoldy resonance - DK2T

Hey guys,

Went out and bought myself a black Jackson DK2T 2 days ago. Tried it in a full store so I could not hear potential problems in this sound limited environment. Played well and liked the sound (from what I could hear). But now, in a quieter environment, this is what I hear.

Please give a listen to the clip below, and tell me if you heard something like this before on a DK2T? The clip consists 3 short burst of a low E, played on an Axe-Fx with 3 different patches. Listen to the second burst especially. Take note that I tested for the same problem on my Marshall 8100 I have in order to confirm. And yes, it was there.

Where the hell is all that crap coming from after the initial attack, this metallic blaaaang, blaaaang? The root note is basically drowned out by god knows what. Take note that nothing was clipping anywhere on the Ultra, or my DAW.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8142392

Before I posted the clip, this is what I did:

1) Changed the strings from 9-42 to 10-52 (Can't play with the 9's)
    2) Adjusted the action to remove fret buzz
    3) Lowered the pickups all the way down to test if problem was still there. It was. Now, the pickup are re-ajusted to a height of 1/8

Everything is tight, I don't hear anything suspicious when I play acoustically. And the problem is mostly on the low E string. I don't have to pick very hard to get what you hear in the clip above.

Any theories as to what is causing that ungodly resonance?

Thanks guys.

It sounds mechcanical. like the string is buzzing something. Look everything over, looking for loose parts: tuners, bridge, ferrules, even open the electronics cover. Try lowering your pickups a little, if doesn't work, try raising the bridge until it does away. It may be in the setup of the guitar.

BTW, DK2T's rule I really dig mine.

Comment

Originally posted by etepbbb View Post
      It sounds mechcanical. like the string is buzzing something. Look everything over, looking for loose parts: tuners, bridge, ferrules, even open the electronics cover. Try lowering your pickups a little, if doesn't work, try raising the bridge until it does away. It may be in the setup of the guitar.

BTW, DK2T's rule I really dig mine.
      Like stated in my first post, pickups were lowered all the way down to make sure it was not the pickups being too high that was causing the problem. As for the bridge, I prefer my string action higher than usual, so I can guarantee it's not fret buzz.

And yeah, it's a nice player, but now it's pretty much unuseable right now with this resonance problem going on.

Comment

Maybe now would be a perfect time to undergo a musical rennaissance. Instead of playing low power chord metal, you could get into some Fusiony-Jazzy kind of stuff.:ROTF:
        I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Deltones View Post
          Hey guys,

Went out and bought myself a black Jackson DK2T 2 days ago. Tried it in a full store so I could not hear potential problems in this sound limited environment. Played well and liked the sound (from what I could hear). But now, in a quieter environment, this is what I hear.

Please give a listen to the clip below, and tell me if you heard something like this before on a DK2T? The clip consists 3 short burst of a low E, played on an Axe-Fx with 3 different patches. Listen to the second burst especially. Take note that I tested for the same problem on my Marshall 8100 I have in order to confirm. And yes, it was there.

Where the hell is all that crap coming from after the initial attack, this metallic blaaaang, blaaaang? The root note is basically drowned out by god knows what. Take note that nothing was clipping anywhere on the Ultra, or my DAW.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8142392

Before I posted the clip, this is what I did:

1) Changed the strings from 9-42 to 10-52 (Can't play with the 9's)
          2) Adjusted the action to remove fret buzz
          3) Lowered the pickups all the way down to test if problem was still there. It was. Now, the pickup are re-ajusted to a height of 1/8

Everything is tight, I don't hear anything suspicious when I play acoustically. And the problem is mostly on the low E string. I don't have to pick very hard to get what you hear in the clip above.

Any theories as to what is causing that ungodly resonance?

Thanks guys.
          This would happen to me on the Les Paul I used to have. When you hit some note the G string will start to vibrate a little but enough to hit the fret wire. Try putting an elastic hair tie right under the nut so it can kinda mute the strings a little. But it was usually my hand hitting the string, but since Ive had my Jackson with a Floyd it doesn't happen anymore.

Comment

Without hearing the clips, I'd say it's the strings between the nut and tuners resonating.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I can't tell if you stated the problem was already there before you changed strings, put back the E from the 9 set, try it then.

or make sure the bigger string fits in the nut slot and the bridge slot well.

It also kinda sounds kinda like a shitty single coil pickup, like i have a cheapo china made fender, plugged in it sound pretty much just like that - and it's not fret buzz, because the sustain unplugged on it is unbelievable.

i know it's new and everything, but check to make sure the pickup was wired properly, and is not being split or wired split or something.

also what about a fretted note, does it do the same thing??

just random guesses from problems past man, but good luck.

Comment

Dagum Gremlins, sounds like it...
                "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                Gotta get away from here.
                Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                  I can't tell if you stated the problem was already there before you changed strings, put back the E from the 9 set, try it then.

or make sure the bigger string fits in the nut slot and the bridge slot well.

It also kinda sounds kinda like a shitty single coil pickup, like i have a cheapo china made fender, plugged in it sound pretty much just like that - and it's not fret buzz, because the sustain unplugged on it is unbelievable.

i know it's new and everything, but check to make sure the pickup was wired properly, and is not being split or wired split or something.

also what about a fretted note, does it do the same thing??

just random guesses from problems past man, but good luck.
                  Unfortunately, I got rid of the set that was on the guitar right away. Another answer that I got on another forum mentionned treble overloading the amp and creating this bad distortion. Interestingly, the description of the JB on the SD site mentions that a lot of players are putting a 250k pot to tame the highs. Possible relation that I can investigate.

Oh, and yeah, fretted, it did the same thing, but to a lesser degree. What I can garantee as far as the low E being played by itself is that there was no fret buzz. Didn't even need to pick very hard to get this. Lowering the volume on the guitar, I could reach a point where the resonance disappeared.
                  Last edited by Deltones; 09-28-2009, 04:55 PM.

Comment

My DK2 did the same thing until I changed out the bridge pickup. Granted, it was an older DK2 with Duncan Designed pickups, but it was the same noise exactly. I put a full shred in the bridge and it was gone.
                    Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hendrix View Post
                      My DK2 did the same thing until I changed out the bridge pickup. Granted, it was an older DK2 with Duncan Designed pickups, but it was the same noise exactly. I put a full shred in the bridge and it was gone.
                      Ah! Still, even if you had Duncan Designed pickup, that still tells me something very informative. I actually did a few searches on Google, and I saw some posts telling that JB's and alder don't match very well. Bright on bright = too much bright, which is probably what another poster refered to when he mentionned the treble overloading the amp, causing this ugly resonance.

Comment

I'm not fond of the JB in alder (or any other wood), but it's just a matter of preference. You'll find message board posts that will say just about anything about any pickup or tonewood. J/C puts out tons of guitars with the JB/alder combo that don't have your problem.

Comment

A JB will not cause a problem like yours - UNLESS it's faulty or something. Why do you think so many new guitars come with JBs in them? If they caused problems no one would buy them.
                          In Robert Hendrix's case, I'd suggest changing pickups simply meant whatever fault was in his wiring was fixed when he resoldered it all with the new pickup in place.

Why don't you just take the guitar back and exchange it, or get your money back?
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X