So... is it still Jackson/Charvel or more like Jackson, Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... is it still Jackson/Charvel or more like Jackson, Charvel

When I first became aware of Jackson and Charvel guitars, say, 1989 or so - the "toothpaste" Charvels were just coming out and were, at least by the kids I new in Jersey, not nearly as good as the old guitar logo imports, and the old USA Charvels were tough to find.

But we always knew that it was Jackson/Charvel - one company, and Jackson was being pushed as the more prominant brand. You had Charvel by Jackson/Charvel, right.

And later in the 90's it was clear that Jackson was the brand, and Charvel was fading way, but it was still Jackson/Charvel or Charvel/Jackson (I prefered Charvel/Jackson - sounds better).

Now, with Jackson/Charvel aquired by Fender (many moons ago now) - are they still one company under the Fender unbrella? Or are they considered seperate entities to Fender corporate?

I ask because back in the day (there was a reason I anecdoted above) it was one company - and on this site, we often talk in "Charvel/Jackson" terms - i.e. its the same guys making either guitar (or was). But I was on another site (big mistake) and somebody was asking about Post-Fender Jacksons, and I immediately started talking about Jacksons AND Charvels, and the dude was like - "I'm not asking about Charvels."

So... today - seperate web sites... the guitar cases don't say "Jackson/Charvel" anymore. Charvels produced on seperate production lines. Seperate custom shop employees? I don't think so... but...

What do you think?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Jackson Charvel Manufacturing, Inc. still exists as a single subsidiary of Fender. Same custom shop still does both lines. I guess the big difference lately is that the production Charvels are done on the Fender line, but afaik those guitars are still JCMI products for warranty & book-keeping purposes.

Comment

I have two custom shop Charvels that look an awful lot like Jacksons. To me they have always been the same company. I think the division has become more prominent over the last couple of years.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

sounds like you where chating with someone who didn't know what the fuck they were talking about when it comes to these guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          sounds like you where chating with someone who didn't know what the fuck they were talking about when it comes to these guitars.
          Yeah, but he knew an aweful lot about "Post-Fender" Jacksons...
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            Jackson Charvel Manufacturing, Inc. still exists as a single subsidiary of Fender. Same custom shop still does both lines. I guess the big difference lately is that the production Charvels are done on the Fender line, but afaik those guitars are still JCMI products for warranty & book-keeping purposes.
            +1. Dg's got this correct.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
              I agree with dg with an additional comment. Having recently visited the "Custom Shop" I want to say IMO, with these comments we are kinda "splitting hairs" - the CS is not its own "building" per se, it is just an area of the main building at Corona, in the middle of the Jackson section. The "Jackson custom shop" is Pablo & (I gotta check my notes) at a table / work area right around the corner from the "Charvel custom shop" which is Mike Shannon & Red and their work areas.
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I think they're still one company, but they like to distance themselves from eachother so they don't look like one company with different names, if that makes sense (providing somewhat different products for each name, Jackson being metal and Charvel everything else).

Or maybe the fact that Charvel is strictly US only?
                Last edited by MetalHeadMat; 10-16-2009, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Metalheadmat's post is how I kinda see it in my head. For new production models, Charvel's all have the strat HS, and most Jacksons have the pointy except SLS, SD, and Dominion. Definitely seems like they are distancing the "normal" production models from eachother. I almost think of it as Charvel is part of fender and Jackson is more of it's own entity. In my head... not in reality.
                  And the CS stuff, good to know RacerX, thanks.
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                    Metalheadmat's post is how I kinda see it in my head. For new production models, Charvel's all have the strat HS, and most Jacksons have the pointy except SLS, SD, and Dominion. Definitely seems like they are distancing the "normal" production models from eachother. I almost think of it as Charvel is part of fender and Jackson is more of it's own entity. In my head... not in reality.
                    And the CS stuff, good to know RacerX, thanks.
                    Compare the two to Harvey Dent, AKA Two Face.

Charvel, the nice looking "sane" side of the both.

Jackson, the obscure metal/mental side that you just have to love.

In the end they're the same company, but completely different products.

Comment

Yup.. lol
                      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                      X