Model 6 project updates...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by warlok View Post
    It'd be easier with a recessed trem too. It seems like the fretboard is higher from the top of the body on this. And the neck is angled more. This guy did ALOT more than what I'm doing but you can see in some of the pics where he has the binding done how the body binding just stops. I really don't like how it looks, just my opinion... and my guitar!! lol. http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/sb/c...oration-01.htm The thought is crossing my mind to try a neckthrough from scratch for the next project. Then I could plan for everything exactly how I'd want it.
    That guitar was done here by our own Dave (budman68). Might want to talk with him just for the heck of it.
    Last edited by DonP; 11-12-2009, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
      I'd love to do that to my Model 6 but dont have the balls to do it.
      Me too!
      Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Sully - If you look on the table, there's a 3" base micrometer in the red case. I started by routing between the pup holes, measuring, adjusting, again and again till I had the route depth perfect for the guitar to be as close as possible to the original thickness with the top on and painted/cleared. There are perks to being a jet engine mechanic. Lots of precision!!!
        super sweet!
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Maple's on!! Woohoo!!
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I keep going back to see where you are in this project. Love it so far! Are you sure you got enough clamps on it? Seriously, thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.

Comment

This is awesome!

Comment

The maple is all on, ready for sanding and touch up. Gotta route the pups and bridge, drill for the knobs/switch(s), and some cleanup before paint. Take a look at the latest pics. I've been playing around on CS Generator and taking tons of pics, sketching, and picturing things in my head and realized something just didn't look right. It just looks unbalanced between the body and headstock. Headstock looks "well accented" with the binding, tuners, logo, and trussrod cover. It made the unbound body look boring. But I'm not doing binding (see previous posts). So I decided on a final design/paint change. The last few have a pencil outline pinstripe that I'm going to paint on. Thin (1/16"-ish), just inside the binding on the headstock. A little thicker (1/8" or so) around the body about 1/4" in from where the maple starts. So from the edge there will be 1/4" maple, the 1/8" black line, and the rest natural. Not a huge thing and it really pulls it all together for me. Woohoo! Really getting stoked now..

Comment

Warlok, looks like the kind of project I'd be just crazy enough to take on, lol!!

Looks like you're doing a great job and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Dave
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

wow!!! i am glad i sold it to a good home ...looking awsome
                    “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Budman - No matter what PC I'm on, "wife luthier" has been googled at least once. Amazing job on that guitar!! I've been using your build as a bit of a guideline (notice the clamping..lol). Very inspiring. I'm glad you had that site posted. Really helpful. You went quite a bit farther than me (and very impressive!) but I'm hoping for similar results... You had tons of great ideas and i've been careful not to take away from your originality.

Len - You da man!!! This project is exactly what I wanted!

Comment

Budman - No matter what PC I'm on, "wife luthier" has been googled at least once. Amazing job on that guitar!! I've been using your build as a bit of a guideline (notice the clamping..lol). Very inspiring. I'm glad you had that site posted. Really helpful. You went quite a bit farther than me (and very impressive!) but I'm hoping for similar results... You had tons of great ideas and i've been careful not to take away from your originality.

Len - You da man!!! This project is exactly what I wanted!

Thanks for the kind words, it was definitely a fun one for sure! No worries on the originality, we all like to take our own ideas and mix them with someone elses at times

Thanks,
                        Dave
                        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

+1 on warlok's statement; Dave, it was great enjoyment to follow that project. You did such a wonderful job with it.
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Wow-Nice!!!!

Comment

Man, that sucked!! Laid up for the last few days with back problems. Back at it now. Doing more cleanup on edges, need to round over the corners, drill pots, then ready to seal!!

Comment

Wow, warlok, that is some impressive work! Can't wait to see the final result! Great job so far!
                                My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Working...
                                X